Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Split Charge – home brewed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Split Charge – home brewed.

Next mod on the list for my D3 is a split charge system and second battery, but I have some questions.

First option is to save up for a few months and order a Traxide system, but although it’s a great piece of ‘plug and play’ kit, at @£170 delivered from Aus it’s a lot of money to spend.

I'm considering doing it myself based around a 100A split charge relay which I’d buy in. I’ve built several systems for boats over the years so am not new to the concept and build requirements for a simple system.

I’m a bit concerned though about the D3 being far more complicated than the simple boat systems I’ve connected in to. Although the system is sort of stand alone, and shouldn’t affect the Can Bus etc.

Has anyone built their own system?
If you have I’d be interested in what relay you used.

Thanks

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #94053910th Jun 2012 8:01 pm
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Go for a heavier duty one than that, 140+ would be better Thumbs Up
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #94054410th Jun 2012 8:08 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nasher

I have fitted a few systems and used a cheaper option than the traxide ( that I have fitted to my car ) and the last one was to a D4 they work absolutely brilliantly and with no problems.. let me know if you want the make of the unit.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #94058610th Jun 2012 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nasher,

I started mine today and went for the system below, I was gonna get Flack to do it on his next visit but I thought it was time I did stuff like this myself.

Anyway I started preparing all the cables, still not got round to buying a battery yet as I'm not sure what's best to go for, not want to go too expensive as I wont be using it all the time and finding a half decent one that fits the battery tray, not even sure what size to go for, maybe Flack could help, 75ah or up to 100????

I fitted some sockets (see below) ive still to fit a light switch and switches for the sockets. I've decided to go to the opposite side of most as I feel there's more room to work and add fuse boxes etc

I also spent some time today looking for the hole through the bulkhead but I'll keep that for another day I think!

Anyway, good luck with yours!

Thumbs Up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Max-Digital-Mo..._643wt_689

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 2016 RR Sport Autobiography

Zambezi Silver 2005 D3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 300Tdi Coniston Green
1968 Series 2a SWB Bronze Green 

Post #94061310th Jun 2012 10:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nasher

Thanks guys.

Flack
Any help with the make of the unit would help.
Thanks.

StephenO
Looks like you've made a good start Thumbs Up
The T-max system is a lot cheaper, but still a whole system ready to put in, I'd like to start with just a relay and work from there.

Nasher.
Post #94061910th Jun 2012 10:35 pm
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yeh, I thought i would keep it easy buying the kit.

Also though, didn't realise how many bits I needed to buy to go along with it, switches, connectors, more cable, fuse box. It gets quite expensive but it'll be worth it.

We're planning a long trip round Scotland in August and we'll be wild camping for most of it so it'll come in very handy!

Thumbs Up
 2016 RR Sport Autobiography

Zambezi Silver 2005 D3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 300Tdi Coniston Green
1968 Series 2a SWB Bronze Green 

Post #94062110th Jun 2012 10:44 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

I have used a cheapy VSR relay to controll a Albright solenoid.

Easy set up and almost bombproff.

The VSR I think I paid about £20 and the Albright was around £30. I had a bit of 35mm2 around so I used that.

I have a yellow top in the spare tray which has worked well for 2 years.

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #94066111th Jun 2012 7:44 am
mzplcg

England 

^^^ Exactly the right thing to do.

100 amp relays (even the constant duty ones) are not rated highly enough to cope with inrush current when first powered up.

Imagine the situation where your starter battery is fine but your 2nd (leisure) battery is 75% depleted. Regardless of the alternator output, when you start the engine and the relay connects both batteries together there will be an inrush current of at least several hundred amps. Ask me how I know this. Whistle I managed to make a melted blob out of a 200 amp relay.

But I did get it working just fine with a larger relay, like this one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solenoid-12v-vol...3f17aa9076

Fire it off a fuse which only goes live when the engine is actually running, or the lamp terminal on the back of the alternator will also do the same thing.

Dom.

Post #94066711th Jun 2012 8:06 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Current can be limited by the thickness of the cable IIRC. In fact the Traxide system is rated to 80Amps (hence the SC-80 name) and uses 13mm2 cable.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #94067211th Jun 2012 8:18 am
Nasher

This 180A kit looks like good value for money:

http://audiovisualworld.co.uk/shopping/pro...rging-Kit-

Or the X-Eng kit aimed at winch use:

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Charge.asp

Can anyone think why either of these wouldn’t work with the D3?

Nasher
Post #94086111th Jun 2012 3:14 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
Can anyone think why either of these wouldn’t work with the D3?

Quote:
Ask me how I know this. I managed to make a melted blob out of a 200 amp relay.

Thumbs Up

Post #94089311th Jun 2012 4:55 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

mzplcg wrote:
^^^ Exactly the right thing to do.

100 amp relays (even the constant duty ones) are not rated highly enough to cope with inrush current when first powered up.

Imagine the situation where your starter battery is fine but your 2nd (leisure) battery is 75% depleted. Regardless of the alternator output, when you start the engine and the relay connects both batteries together there will be an inrush current of at least several hundred amps. Ask me how I know this. Whistle I managed to make a melted blob out of a 200 amp relay.

Blew a 150A megafuse doing much the same
Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #94089711th Jun 2012 5:05 pm
mzplcg

England 

nighthawk wrote:
Current can be limited by the thickness of the cable IIRC. In fact the Traxide system is rated to 80Amps (hence the SC-80 name) and uses 13mm2 cable.

Erm, no. The thickness of the cable will dictate the amount of current it can carry safely, i.e. just before it catches fire. The Traxide limits current with electronics, not a thin cable.

But using a thinner cable in the mistaken belief that it will limit the current passed is a recipe for a fire. You have to either limit the current electronically, or beef up the cables to take the maximum needed in the application at hand.

It goes without saying that every installation should be fused appropriately. Whistle

Post #94094811th Jun 2012 7:19 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

The small relay I used was the one supplied in the X-eng kit but modified as a VSR.

Click image to enlarge

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #94095011th Jun 2012 7:23 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

mzplcg wrote:
nighthawk wrote:

Erm, no. The thickness of the cable will dictate the amount of current it can carry safely, i.e. just before it catches fire. The Traxide limits current with electronics, not a thin cable.

But using a thinner cable in the mistaken belief that it will limit the current passed is a recipe for a fire. You have to either limit the current electronically, or beef up the cables to take the maximum needed in the application at hand.

It goes without saying that every installation should be fused appropriately. Whistle

I don't agree. What you are talking about is for a resistive load (ie. an appliance... a CONSUMER of power). In case of cars, consumers are engine starter, radio, that fridge in the back, and an inverter). Batteries are a SOURCE of power. They don't consume current. You can NEVER meet the maximum needed current flow between 2 batteries. If one is full and the other is empty, a few thousand amps will flow if, and only if, you supply a cable as thick as one coming right out of a power station between the batteries. And good luck finding a relay for that Thumbs Up

The same principle applies for jump leads. Have you ever seen jump leads melting? I haven't, unless you count some idiot trying to crank the engine of the car with the dead battery directly off the jump leads (the starter is a consumer of power) There are 100A jump leads, 400A jump leads, and 800A jump leads. You can use any jump lead to connect any 2 batteries. The only difference between them is the amount of time it takes for the good battery to replenish the dead battery sufficiently. This is why it is always recommended to connect the jump leads to the dead battery and WAIT A FEW MINUTES before cranking the engine of the car with the dead battery. If you use 100A jump leads you might have to wait, say, 5 minutes . 400A leads... 2 minutes, 800A leads... 1 minute will be more than enough.

Think of batteries as large tanks of water and appliances as dishwasher or washing machine. You can connect a tiny pipe between the tanks of water and things will still work. The 2 tanks will struggle to share the load and if one tank was empty and one was full it will take AGES to level things out, whereas if you put a nice think pipe between them things things will work much better. However you cannot connect a tiny pipe between the tank and the dishwasher as it will starve the dishwasher of the water flow it needs. It needs more water than the pipe can supply. This water/power analogy is used VERY OFTEN when explaining dual battery systems.

The actual calculations about what wire size can carry what current, voltage drop due to length of cable, voltage drop due to temperature, etc etc is what I really didn't feel like guessing or playing around with, hence me going for the Traxide kit. I'm pretty sure there's no electronic limiting in the Traxide. Not sure it's even possible to limit such currents using electronics. Pretty sure anything attenuating such high currents will need VERY BIG heatsinks to dissipate that kind of power, heatsinks much bigger than the tiny traxide box Wink
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #94098211th Jun 2012 8:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >