Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
I think you're right BN. When mine went it was after towing and the fault was registered as will raise when system has cooled and a suspension failure warning. It did not drop its height, but as soon as I started to try it up and down it would not go up anymore; hence once on access it stayed there, but was drivable at low speeds.

Pelyma, that is just what I need, thank you.

Post #98955th Aug 2005 9:29 am
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Great, so I have bought a tow car that dose not like to be towing Evil or Very Mad
If it keeps raining with all this global worming maybe I will not have to tow the boat anyway Rolling Eyes
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #98975th Aug 2005 9:33 am
MVS

Mine went on one of the hottest days of the year, it was about 32-34 degrees.

Hadn't been towing, but had just raised the car with three of my dental nurses on board (Short legs).

It had been sat parked for 3 hours previously.

I do a lot of towing as you know but not that or the 2 days previously.

Mike

Post #99025th Aug 2005 9:46 am
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Mine still sinks after a few hours when standing as I haven't had time to take it to the dealers again - they need it for two days but never have a courtesy car when convenient for me. Sad

Something I have noticed with mine is that the car ride is a lot smoother/stiffer when on full raised height (until you go too fast) rather than the wallowing motion I get the rest of the time.

If only I could keep to 20mph I could keep the suspension raised and stop my 2 year old being sick everytime we go out. Downside is we wouldn't go very far if we could only keep to 20mph... just a thought.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #101935th Aug 2005 11:14 pm
BN

England 

Coffeecup wrote:
Mine still sinks after a few hours when standing as I haven't had time to take it to the dealers again - they need it for two days but never have a courtesy car when convenient for me. Sad

Something I have noticed with mine is that the car ride is a lot smoother/stiffer when on full raised height (until you go too fast) rather than the wallowing motion I get the rest of the time.

If only I could keep to 20mph I could keep the suspension raised and stop my 2 year old being sick everytime we go out. Downside is we wouldn't go very far if we could only keep to 20mph... just a thought.

It should not wallow, that indicates to me that the compressor is struggling to keep the air tank supplied. There are two main reasons for compressor failure I think and they are over heating of the compressor and a wrongly routed air hose over or near the turbo in the engine compartment. Both are serious.

It would be good to place a light in the dash to see exactly when the compressor is working for this research, but not possible I think.

Post #102076th Aug 2005 7:51 am
lawman

May have finally found a fault Evil or Very Mad . Looked at car today and it was sitting at access height although parked at normal a few days ago (I know it can drop a little after parking). Fired it up after the requisite wait and bong and got the raising when cooled rubbish. Drove round the block at access and still not sorted. Roll on the full survey and onslaught against LR if they mess me around...... Twisted Evil

Post #103657th Aug 2005 11:41 pm
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...mp;start=0
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #103738th Aug 2005 2:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

You lot are getting me worried about all these suspension failures, especially when towing. I am heading up to the North of Western Australia shortly and there is probably no Land Rover agent within a 1000Km and towing a 2 tonne caravan and the rest of the gear... I have not had any problems so far and there is another D3 in the caravan club who also has had no trouble... Fingers crossed... Very Happy

Post #103868th Aug 2005 9:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I think those who have had Suspension failures had them fairly early on in the ownership of the car, so I'd hope for you and your Caravaning friend that you won't be affected/afflicted.

My own car is now booked in on Wednesday to have a look at the Suspension - both why it sinks overnight and the fact I feel it is a bit 'sea sick' inducing. Neither issue stops the car from being driven though.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #104118th Aug 2005 12:31 pm
BN

England 

anthill wrote:
You lot are getting me worried about all these suspension failures, especially when towing. I am heading up to the North of Western Australia shortly and there is probably no Land Rover agent within a 1000Km and towing a 2 tonne caravan and the rest of the gear... I have not had any problems so far and there is another D3 in the caravan club who also has had no trouble... Fingers crossed... Very Happy

Anthill, the problems on a precentage I think are low. However, as with any vehicle, problems can ocurr. Even a coil spring can break, then the car is totally useless. With suspension failure on the D3, it is driveable within reason. We gave 9 cars some stick yesterday on all types of ground other than snow and no problems what so ever.

Post #104148th Aug 2005 12:44 pm
D barnes

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Suspension Failure Etc

Hi arrived back from france last night, but what a saga. After the car arrived back from the french dealership in Tours on a low loader arranged by LR Assistance (as i was now in St hilaire on the west coast) and the caravan was towed across (Arranged by caravan club) we went across in another hire car, within the first mile of driving the suspension faulted ?? yet i was assured by LR that the dealer had sorted. called LR assist and requested a UK mobile Technician to attend on site (there are 6 guys in france doing this) he read off the fault codes and sugested we take his diagnosis (the car needs re-levelling and the sensors resetting) to the nearest dealer it was arranged for us to take the car to Nantes (LR dealer) 80 miles each way for them to look at, this we did next day arrived befrore lunch only for the French service Mgr to sit in the car alter the hights up,down,up,down, the diagnosis -- it needs a new compressor he said in French but he cannot look at it and it will take days to get Parts and dont use access height, we then re explained it was doing it its self, it was now past 12:00 and it was his lunch time, he did'nt want to know, and left. We have had constant suspension faults throughout the rest of the holiday (13 faults in 1 day) could this be a record.

We now have a new fault : Engine miss firing and attempting to cut out @ 3200rpms, not good when your towing a Large caravan up a steep hill.

Will post the outcome of dealer comments / rectifications if and when i get them.
 DB
TDV6 XS SANTORINI
Sterling Elite Searcher
FIAT 500S
Freelander2 HSE Lux 

Post #1184014th Aug 2005 2:22 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Has a semi suspension failure today...

I stopped at the bottom of a fairly steep hill facing down, pressed the lever to lower into access mode to let a friend get in and as she opened the door it beeped and flashed suspension failure at me. Censored I thought, was bound to happen at some point, decided to drive on a bit onto the flat and go through the reset sequence but I pressed the lever up for normal mode just to see what would happen - normal mode selected okay no more suspension failure, no reset required Very Happy
 The End  
Post #1192514th Aug 2005 7:05 pm
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
Has a semi suspension failure today...

I stopped at the bottom of a fairly steep hill facing down, pressed the lever to lower into access mode to let a friend get in and as she opened the door it beeped and flashed suspension failure at me. Censored I thought, was bound to happen at some point, decided to drive on a bit onto the flat and go through the reset sequence but I pressed the lever up for normal mode just to see what would happen - normal mode selected okay no more suspension failure, no reset required Very Happy

Had a couple of those, but not worth worrying about I think.

Post #1194814th Aug 2005 8:04 pm
wardpg

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension

I purchased my disco 3 tdv6 hse in dec 04 and have not had any suspension problems at all. my pre heater works ok, the only problems i have had are trim problems by the passenger door, wher the trim had become unglued by the window controls- am I unusual? I have just travelled 60 miles on country roads and got 31.6 to the gallon and I get 20 mph when towing a 1.5 ton caravan, its a far superior car to my last disco a metropolis and basically I love it !! The only other problem have is that the passenger mirror does not move enough for my wife to see out of it as she has her seat further forward tham mine any one else had this problem?- its a brilliant car [/i]

Post #1197714th Aug 2005 10:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Glad to hear of a good un'. Welcome.

Post #1198214th Aug 2005 10:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >