Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
BN

England 

Mossy, I don't think you are a mad pen pushing mentalist, or you would not be here. I for one welcome everyones point of view, good bad or indifferent. The suspension is a big issue and as you may have seen it is one I particularly have great interest and concern over. However, I do believe that constructed and hard factual evidence is still better to place before LR than via any other means and by one person alone.

We have a team on this site that is forming together carefully and may well be a force to be reckoned with very soon.

One of the biggest problems in fact that is emerging is that it is the wait for spares and repairs together with the lack of equal vehicles to replace the defective one. This effects me greatly. I have lived with it over the years, but repairs to the older Land Rovers was a bit easier, the D3 is very sophisticated and that is the gamble I took when buying the first one. I knew that if something went wrong especially if I was abroad it may not be the quickest vehicle to fix.

What is inexcusable is the lack of spare parts that makes a vehicle VOR and often the LR CS attitude some guys are receiveing.

Post #96743rd Aug 2005 9:18 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Forgive me, but the one bit of hard factual evidence we lack is the scale of this problem. I seek to elicit numbers, which surely can only be of benefit to the wider problem and of this forum. Is it a common problem or not?

Please dont misunderstand me, I am not looking for a Watchdog or Panorama-like event - simply a call to find out numbers. Hard numerical facts are what companies find hard to refute and in my line of business, the hardest to manipulate interms of spin.

I personally believe that we dont know the possible scenarios of a catastrophic failure at, say high speed and that it is perhaps only a matter of time before we do, which is why I feel I should do something.

Overlooking the humour with which I am approaching my own suspension problems, I am frankly appalled by the mixed messages, incorrect information and conflicting data offered my LR, which, in my experience often suggests there is more to an issue than what you see face value.

I think a numerical value would surely be of use to the efforts of the team, the wider interest of this forum's members and 'just owners'.

I do hope I'm not a a pen-mad, mentalist, or someone annoying other members of this site. I would not and would never link any of my own activities to the motives of this forum or suggest that there was any connection.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #96753rd Aug 2005 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Paul,

I think it's a very very good idea to get more idea of the scale of the problem. Land Rover obviously haven't changed under Ford rule, and still deny any knowledge of problems Rolling Eyes It even seems to get down as far as the LR Experience guys, who are telling customers problems are "normal" (steering) or "haven't heard of it" (suspension).

The survey that I've built up (but am not 100% sure of the legalities of) should help gain some more info, I've PM'd you the link to it so you can have a look at the draft version, as your input would be great Very Happy

I also agree with 10forcash that we should work with LR, not against, we're not troublemakers and I'm happy that you're not too! Smile

Oh and the only reason anyone could think you're a mentalist is because you're running a V8 Wink

Martin
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #96783rd Aug 2005 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Paul,
the best I can suggest is an empirical 'yes' or 'no' poll on suspension failures - excluding the 'won't go up or down' and 'fine on reboot' type of fault, i.e. "did your suspension fail whilst driving and immediately lower to limp - home height"
That should provide the numbers required on both sides and both focus LRCS's attention and give everyone an idea on the scale of the problem.
I'm not denying that it feels catastrophic if it happens, however, of those that it's happened to, how many felt that they did or were about to, lose control of the vehicle?
My gut feeling, having an engineering background, is that the compressor is not at fault (after all, it only pressurises an air receiver, which delivers compressed air to the other components) but may be a system - wide fault, perhaps a transducer or software fault. Further, I would like to know if the fault only occurs after a 'fast start', i.e. did the driver wait for the 'boing' before starting the engine? I appreciate that LR do not currently advise of this start procedure, however, BN has put some effort into deducing that *most* faults occur if the vehicles' systems are not allowed to fully complete their self diagnostics prior to engine start

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #96793rd Aug 2005 10:07 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the comment Martin, and I hope I have cleared up my intentions - although I still have plan B; chaining myself naked to some Solihull-based factory, whilst singing, in the club style the hits of Chaz 'n' Dave (were there any)?

I'll have a look at your form in the clear light of day and thanks for sending through.

V8? Bummer, you see the dealer told me....... I guess that explains the fuel bills.

Paul Shocked

Thank
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #96823rd Aug 2005 10:16 pm
10forcash

Oh 8ugger, I forgot to mention that i'm a solpsist in my profile Shocked Shocked Wink

Cheers,

10forcash

(back to the vino collapso....)

Post #96883rd Aug 2005 10:33 pm
BN

England 

10forcash wrote:
Paul,
the best I can suggest is an empirical 'yes' or 'no' poll on suspension failures - excluding the 'won't go up or down' and 'fine on reboot' type of fault, i.e. "did your suspension fail whilst driving and immediately lower to limp - home height"
That should provide the numbers required on both sides and both focus LRCS's attention and give everyone an idea on the scale of the problem.
I'm not denying that it feels catastrophic if it happens, however, of those that it's happened to, how many felt that they did or were about to, lose control of the vehicle?
My gut feeling, having an engineering background, is that the compressor is not at fault (after all, it only pressurises an air receiver, which delivers compressed air to the other components) but may be a system - wide fault, perhaps a transducer or software fault. Further, I would like to know if the fault only occurs after a 'fast start', i.e. did the driver wait for the 'boing' before starting the engine? I appreciate that LR do not currently advise of this start procedure, however, BN has put some effort into deducing that *most* faults occur if the vehicles' systems are not allowed to fully complete their self diagnostics prior to engine start

Cheers,

10forcash

10, I do know for a fact that one compressor that my dealer changed blew a valve at the back, but I am not sure exactly what valve. The bang when a compressor goes as has been reported a few times on the site, which does indicate I think a mechanical failure of some kind. However, there are other kinds, this is why we must find them all out.

Post #96983rd Aug 2005 10:56 pm
DiscoMad

I had two occurrences of amber suspension warning and ‘suspension fault, message in my May delivery HSE. The dealer diagnosed a compressor fault last Thursday and the replacement was fitted yesterday (Wednesday). The part took 3 days to arrive. Also had a headlight cluster replaced due to serious permanent condensation

Post #97284th Aug 2005 10:23 am
BN

England 

I see favouritism, just because you live on the doorstep of LR. Bet the dealer went to the factory during the holiday to get one Twisted Evil

Post #97434th Aug 2005 11:36 am
DiscoMad

I must admit that i was very supprised when it came so quickly - even said to them that the compressor might be on back order. Lets hope its an OK unit eh !

Post #97644th Aug 2005 2:07 pm
10forcash

With my luck, it was probably supposed to be going on the one they're building for me Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Cheers, Big Cry

Big Cry 10forcash Big Cry

Post #97664th Aug 2005 2:10 pm
DiscoMad

So if it is the same part.... it must be because my dealer loves me I think!

Post #97734th Aug 2005 2:19 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Reference the 'poll'. Why not just add to your profile any major "new" items fitted , as I have. Very Happy
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #98734th Aug 2005 11:49 pm
BN

England 

More info on the dreaded compressors. It would appear from my information source that the compressor is enclosed and as a result gets very hot. As a result of the heat and the more it is worked, the more likely it is to blow up.

To summerise, if you are towing and on a long journey it must work a lot, so it stands a very good chance of failure.

This is why we need as much detail as possible before the failure and when it ocurred.

Post #98775th Aug 2005 8:00 am
Pelyma

England 

I think you're right BN. When mine went it was after towing and the fault was registered as will raise when system has cooled and a suspension failure warning. It did not drop its height, but as soon as I started to try it up and down it would not go up anymore; hence once on access it stayed there, but was drivable at low speeds.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #98905th Aug 2005 9:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >