DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

All terrain Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bayesp

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
All terrain Tyres

Hi

My car has been at the dealers for the Big 6 year service. it has also been back twice for a new diff for an oscillating humming noise between 50 and 70mph which is still present. There is also some vibration at the steering wheel.
The dealer is blaming the tyres, my question to him was why have I paid over £1K for a diff then. He claims this was definitely faulty, even thought the noise I took it in for remains.

Anyway, to the point. He keeps telling me I shouldn't use AT tyres unless I absolutely need them (currently have GG ATs). I live on a steep track surrounded by a farm, so its often muddy. We also have a plot of land accessed through a field that I often need to transport stuff to. So I think they are worthwhile.

Are there any reasons why he would recommend not having them? What are the pros and cons? I need 2 new tyres as the rear ones have gone bald on the inner edges so have to make a choice soon.

Incidentally, I also had to have a new park sensor, new fuel tank due to rodent damage and car need a rear suspension arm but I cannot afford it. The car has bankrupted me.

Thanks

Paul

Post #93414422nd May 2012 10:47 am
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you have a problem diagnosed by a dealer and they advise a certain repair and the problem is not solved you should not pay for that repair or at least come to some sort of arrangment.
You probably already paid that bill?

And the AT tyre story is bullocks imho. You drive a 4x4 offroad car but can't use AT tyres?
Obviously larger/wider tyres create more friction and therefore slightly more wear. But you are driving a LR and not a Jimmy.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #93415222nd May 2012 11:05 am
bayesp

Thanks.

yes, already paid and they still insist the diff was definitely faulty (bearing had gone apparently). Hard to prove otherwise.
I agree about the tyres. the ATs had been great and I wasn't willing to use the Scorpions that LR insist upon as they are expensive and seem to have a short life. If the Ats hadn't gone bald on the insides (not sure why as yet) I think I would have got about 40K out of them.

Paul

Post #93415822nd May 2012 11:34 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I'm sure site sponsor Andy, at AJS Tyres will have something to say about that statement Shocked

Post #93417222nd May 2012 12:19 pm
bayesp

I look forward to seeing it.

Post #93417422nd May 2012 12:24 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

bayesp wrote:
Thanks.

yes, already paid and they still insist the diff was definitely faulty (bearing had gone apparently). Hard to prove otherwise.
I agree about the tyres. the ATs had been great and I wasn't willing to use the Scorpions that LR insist upon as they are expensive and seem to have a short life. If the Ats hadn't gone bald on the insides (not sure why as yet) I think I would have got about 40K out of them.

Paul

Yes, but your complain has not been solved. They changed a part you didn't complain about or had no issues with. So if they change that part anyway and the problem persists how can they charge you for that part?
Stating it needed replacing anyway is irrelevant.

I had the same thing with my EGR's. Had some issues and dealer advised to replace both EGR's. Unfortunately the problem wasn't solved. They did try to charge me and fortunately I didn't pay right away. After a face to face talk they were credited to me.

I would insist if I were you or have them reinstall the old diff.

Uneven wear mostly indicated a bad allingment.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #93417622nd May 2012 12:27 pm
bayesp

They offered to do the alignment for free but now wont because I wont get the suspension arm replaced which they say can cause tyre wear.
I may ask for proof that the old diff was actually faulty.

Post #93418222nd May 2012 12:39 pm
bayesp

they took my wife out with a different set of tyres, no noise. The GG ATs certainly seem to get noisy after they are worn down. Done about 20k on them and the noise is really annoying. Sounds like a wheel bearing has gone and caused me to argue with the dealer as I refused to believe it was tyre noise.
I need to replace 2, any ideas?

Post #93453223rd May 2012 1:00 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

AT tyres will cause a "wail" at speed.

I think what threw everyone off was that you mentioned an "oscillating" noise. AT Tyres will definitely not cause an oscillating noise. They will just cause that wail which will vary in pitch with speed. Travelling at a constant speed, the hum will be constant not oscillating.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #93453623rd May 2012 1:21 pm
bayesp

The strange thing is it only happens between 50 and 70 regardless of road surface and does have a slight oscillating element. This is why i didn't believe it was the tyres, but it seems to have been proven that it is, unless somehow there is another fault that only shows up with these tyres, although that seems unlikely.

Post #93455923rd May 2012 2:08 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

bayesp wrote:
Hi

Anyway, to the point. He keeps telling me I shouldn't use AT tyres unless I absolutely need them (currently have GG ATs). I live on a steep track surrounded by a farm, so its often muddy. We also have a plot of land accessed through a field that I often need to transport stuff to. So I think they are worthwhile.

I do find it differcult to understand why your dealer has stated that, yes you will get a little noise from any AT tyre as anything more aggressive will create a wind noise effect, some people call it a hum.

Not had many negative reports on noise from the General AT except as they wear down, always best to keep them rotating in the same direction as when they were fitted, as if reversed can cause tyre noise.

You will in some cases notice a slight drop in MPG but most customers don't notice a difference though, don't forget rolling resistance causes drag.

You state you had wear on the inside edge which points to alignment, if all the wheels are pointing in the right direction (not scrubbing) that will prolong tyre life and maybe help with noise.

Most will have heard tyre noise from very aggressive tyres fitted to some 4x4's as they thunder past, sounds like the London Underground. Rolling with laughter

I hope you get the result you want from your dealer, I think you spoke to Dean yesterday. Thumbs Up

Quick note on noise; just had a Freelander 2 in to fit a new rear diff, the main aggent fitted new wheel bearings and the noise was still there, customer was not happy as when we fitted tyres and road tested it we thought it was the diff. One very unhappy Freelander owner who will not be going bact to dealer.

Post #93458323rd May 2012 2:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bayesp

As I said, i didn't think it was tyre noise, without the dealer swapping the tyres for different ones, i still wouldn't believe it. he is still insisting though that the diff he replaced was faulty and that was a different noise. I think it's too late to argue that one.

Post #93463323rd May 2012 4:55 pm
Simons17

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

baysep

if it is less the 30 days you should have case under the sale of goods act,

i run GG at and have the same symptom of the occilating noice and drop in MPG, compared to the perreli's, but this is what i expected. i would get a 4 wheel alignment done first before replacing the tyres. are you handy with a set of spanners to do the other repairs yourselve.

Post #94058210th Jun 2012 9:04 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
i run GG at and have the same symptom of the occilating noice and drop in MPG,

Me too, but that's what I expected.

Post #94075311th Jun 2012 11:59 am
Rushjob

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like I have had the problem you describe, had it from when I bought the car in January.

Vibration is best described as a pulsing vibration coming up through the floor and the steering wheel - akin to Chinese Water Torture on a long run.

It's taken a while and has no doubt cost Duckworths quite a bit in time & money having substituted pretty much everything in the drive train, but eventually, it's been traced to a defective transfer box.

It's being fitted today and I hope to have my Disco home late tomorrow.

Glad I bought it from someone trustworthy otherwise I can see it would have cost me a small fortune to sort.

Mine is running on GG AT's too.
 A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools. :doh:  
Post #94077411th Jun 2012 12:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >