Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 6-speed V 8-speed views please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Russell

United Kingdom 

ROYLANCE wrote:
I've got the 6 Speed and just drove an 8 speed off road at the Land Rover Experience nr Skipton

Without a doubt the 8 speed all day long but without the stupid dial and flappy paddles

On the road the dial doesn't make any difference stick it in D and off you go and the flappy paddles bring a sense of actually driving the car back.
But the problem i found is when you take it off road, you are constantly trying to find the dial when selecting the correct gearing (i.e pull and twist for sport/manual whereas stick shift is a simple flick over without even looking) meaning you are distracted from whats in front of you. I think this is because we are so used to using a gear lever to change or select gears so it has become more natural, maybe with more time driving with the dial i dare say i would have got used to it but it was distracting.
Also the bloody flappy paddles were getting in the way when trying to turn the wheel swiftly between your hands - a bit like the 10-2 type stuff you have to do on your test, or even changing down or up a gear when turning a corner when the steering wheel was upside down was a problem. For instance i was travelling up a steep gravel hill in 2nd and turned to aproach an even steeper humpback ramp thing so i tried to get 1st but ended up getting 3rd because the wheel was upside down.
I know its a bit picky as mosy D4's will never get off road anyway but i felt better and more in control with the stick shift.

So for me 8 speed but put the stick back in the car for god sake, next thing we know will be getting a PS3 control replacing the steeing wheel Mr. Green

Used mine off road recently at an event Dunc organised, first day had a few issues that i thought were down to the car, unfortunatley I had forgotten to put the car in low range when needed Embarassed Second day used the low range and had no more issues, rotary knob was fine and did not cause any issues, you need to get used to it for a few weeks and then away you go, bit like going from a manual to auto the first time, need a length of rope to tie left foot out the way so you do not try to operate clutch(brake) by mistake.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #92075814th Apr 2012 7:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ROYLANCE

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Yep that would be just the job - LANDROVER PUT IT IN NOW !!!!!!!!!!
Didn't realise is was the box from the BM's
 2007 RS4 Avant
Gone just when it was looking so good - 2010 HSE, Nara Bronze + RLD dogs danglies Sump PLate & spare wheel protector + Side Steps + Wiggs Remote Climate + 20" Genuine Stormers + Cooper LTZ Bad Boys + Landmark Black Gloss Grille & Vents + Black Gloss Door Handle Skins + Cubby fridge + Sliding Rear Loadspace 

Post #92075914th Apr 2012 7:45 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

8HP45 version for the F10 5 series, 8HP28 for the D4. According to Wikipedia. Thumbs Up

Post #92076114th Apr 2012 7:50 pm
Ecosse

DSL wrote:
8HP45 version for the F10 5 series, 8HP28 for the D4. According to Wikipedia. Thumbs Up

I believe the D4 has the higher torque rated ZF 8HP70 version Very Happy

Post #92115715th Apr 2012 10:40 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up

Post #92117916th Apr 2012 7:05 am
ardgualich

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I reckon its not even a contest, I kept my 06 manual rather than drive a 6speed auto just didnt like it atall however we drove the 8 speed once and now have one parked outside.

Kind of speaks for itself

6 speed always seemed to be confused when pushing on, with a noticable lag between braking and accelerating in corners when wanting power to pull through.

Post #92120516th Apr 2012 9:40 am
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Had mine 3 weeks and done around 400 miles, the rotary dial is easy and fairly quick to activate when starting the car, the 8 speed seems flawless and smooth when changing up or down.

The only problem I've had, and it's a BIG disappointment for me is the lag when wanting to move out of junctions, roundabouts give-ways etc. I have had a few near misses already when trying to pull out in busy traffic, the only way to try and solve this is to select 1st on the paddles and make sure it's ready to take up drive when I need it, NOT when IT thinks I need it !

There is a particular corner when leaving a set of traffic lights where it goes uphill and I find that the accelerator pedal is planted and me sat there for at least 3 seconds with no drive, then an almighty shove in the back and sets off like a boy racer ........ very dissapointing, I just hope it gets better with more miles ! Crying or Very sad

I take it the car is programmed to set off in 2nd in normal 'D' mode ?

Post #92124716th Apr 2012 12:09 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Is this Lag at junctions an 8 speed thing?

I have just got an Audi and in "D" the lag at round abouts almost got me hit a couple of times before I reliased. The only way I can safely get away in a hurry is to put it into Sport and that way it response immediately.

never had this issue with the 7 speed on the Merc

My Disco is a lowly 6 speed and doesn't have this issue.
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #92125416th Apr 2012 12:30 pm
Peely

I have tried most options inc Sport mode, doesn't really make a difference, it just seems to hang onto gears longer and changes down at every opportunity !

I have read about it previously but didn't realise it was this bad ............. would be ineterested in other peoples views ?

Post #92126016th Apr 2012 12:43 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Sounds like the lag D3s used to have pre remap. Could be well dodgy going onto busy & fast roundabouts. Remap fixed it. Smile

Post #92126216th Apr 2012 12:49 pm
Peely

I really don't think the hesitation has anything to do with the engine, it is purely down to the computer realising that you need power and drive when you request it, not when it has decided !

Post #92127016th Apr 2012 1:34 pm
D4Comm

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Picked up 8 speed D4 on Saturday and although not done much with it yet I cannot believe how smooth it is. D3 was a manual 6 speed, but had an RRS 6 speed auto for a bit which I absolutely loved. Now I've got the D4 I have to say it puts the RRS 6 speed in the shade.

Pulled out of a junction in D today and made the tyres screech with a bit of wheelspin Shocked Very happy customer!!

Post #92141016th Apr 2012 8:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

ROYLANCE wrote:
So for me 8 speed but put the stick back in the car for god sake, next thing we know will be getting a PS3 control replacing the steeing wheel Mr. Green

I feel exactly the same... and it's annoying that the flappy paddles don't stay static when you turn the wheel. Positively dangerous when your off-road changing gear in the wrong direction because the wheel's upside down!

However, I hear a rumour that the stick is coming back for 2013! Keeping the flappy paddles, unfortunately, but at least you'll have a choice on how to control the shift.
Thumbs Up

Post #92303121st Apr 2012 2:23 am
mrcraigcharlton

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Got to agree with D4Comm having just come out of a RRS MY2011 with the 6 speed, the new D4 MY2012 with the 8 speed is so much smoother and I believe it also has livelier acceleration. Getting used to the dial and paddles - keep catching them when going round corners a bit quick Smile
 MY2016 D4 HSE Loire Blue, 20" Black Gloss, Ebony Interior  
Post #92323021st Apr 2012 9:36 pm
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Cant really compare 100% to Discos, but currently owning a L322 with the 6HP (as in my previous disco 3s) and another L322 with the 8 HP, these boxes seem worlds aparts, the 8HP is sooooo smoooooth. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Post #13993382nd Jan 2015 2:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >