Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Tyre Load Rating for 2006 Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
andrew356c

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Tyre Load Rating for 2006 Discovery 3

Ok I have been surfing the forum and have a strong suspicion that the load rating of the tyres on my Discovery are incorrect and too low. I need some help from you good people to confirm my suspicion. I bought the car off a dealer in August 2011 with a fresh MOT, it was advertised with Range Rover Sport 19's. The spec of the tyres are 255/50/R19 107 (can't remember the letter). My understanding is that tyres fitted to a Discovery 3 should have a load rating of around 111.

Another issue is the tyres fitted to the rear are branded differently. My understanding is that this is also an issue.

If my suspicions are correct, my research would suggest that the dealer has sold me a faulty vehicle with tyres that do not comply with UK law, it should have failed the MOT and my car insurance is compromised as the tyres are underrated.

I would be very grateful if someone could provide some clarity on the above.

Many thanks

Andrew

Post #91044916th Mar 2012 11:17 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

they should be 255/55 R19 111
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #91045416th Mar 2012 11:25 am
andrew356c

Thanks Discodunc. That is what I thought.

Would appreciate people's thoughts on the other issues too.

Post #91045716th Mar 2012 11:28 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #91045916th Mar 2012 11:30 am
andrew356c

Thanks for your input Dangerdave.

Post #91046416th Mar 2012 11:35 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't think you have an issue re mixed tyre brands as long as it's not a mix of Road & AT tread pattern.
Although my preferance is always to run with the same make/size of tyre at each corner.
Personally I'd even run the same/similar tyre depths on same axle,
ie I wouldn't have one tyre at 4mm and another at 8mm on the same axle,
[and I'd ditch a tyre that gets down to about 3mm].

I would say your key issue with the dealer is down to Load Rating.
As mentioned the D3 is 111 in the UK although in Australia it's lower [not sure of the load and why this is -109 or 107?]
Also the D4 has a lower rating than the D3 [109 I think?]

LR's Discovery 'loading' recommendations are a bit confusing, but I suppose in the eyes of your insurer, if it's under-rated it could affect your cover.

But the dealer may wriggle out of it as it was over 6 months ago when you purchased the vehicle from them.
As how do they not know that you changed the tyres to a lower rating yourself - was the tyre size listed beside the RRS wheels description?

There you go ... all now as clear as Bolivian mud Confused

Post #91047616th Mar 2012 4:34 pm
al cope

England 

so in a nutshell, somebody has taken some alloys and tyres straight off a RRS and stuck them on a D3.

If you look at the tyre label on the inside of the drivers door, it gives the tyre size info. Its not "exactly" binding, but it is LR info, so I would go and complain like hell at the dealer - you never know, you might get somewhere.

I've seen a dealer near me selling a D3 with the same setup, and when I pointed it out, he wasnt in the slightest bit interested - the same dealer that a couple of years before was trying to wriggle out of some warrenty work on my D2 as I had "incorrect" alloys fitted - they were of a FFRR, but with the correct tyres fitted.

Al

PS -in Oz for the D3, and the D4 everywhere, its 109.
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #91048216th Mar 2012 4:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andrew356c

Al, Ronp, many thanks for your input. Al - you are spot on I think, they have just wacked on a set of RRS alloys without thinking about the tyre implications. Ronp, take your point re the dealer not knowing whether I had changed the tyres, but why would I swap to 50% or less worn tyres....makes no sense at all.

Basically, as it stands my poor Disco3 is unroadworthy and has been since I purchased it, despite it being sold with a clear MOT where, from what I understand from my research, this issue should have been identified. I have found some very helpful information on the Office of Fair Trading website, "Guidance for Second Hand Car Dealers". It spells out in no uncertain terms a dealer's obligations pursuant to the Sale of Goods Act and Consumer Protection Regulations, together with a consumer's rights and remedies. So armed with this information, I will be dropping the dealer an email in due course!!

Once again thanks for all the input.

Post #91049816th Mar 2012 4:55 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you want to be really particular OEM RRS alloy Wheels are not rated as high load as OEM D3 Alloy wheels Crying or Very sad How many D3/4s are running with them fitted, I've never heard of one failing it's MOT with them fitted.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #91055616th Mar 2012 6:27 pm
al cope

England 

I've never seen it as an MOT issue/item, more a "possible" and I say possible, insurance issue - the one where you've had a bad smash and the insurance assessor says sorry, no payout due to incorrect tyre spec fitted.

Its partially why I pay a bit more on my insurance for non-standrad wheels and tyres fitted.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #91055916th Mar 2012 6:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

I had exactly the same issue a few years ag when I brought my first D3, only diffrence was that it was on D3 alloys but 107 load rated tyres. It was fine until I tried to tow the tin tent, then I was all over the road. This forum pointed me in the dirrection of the plate on the door and the correct load rating. Spoke to my insurance company who agreed that the car would not be insured if there was an accident attributed to a tyre issue. Went back to the dealers and initially they refused to change the tyres, had to get trading standards involved and straight away they agreed to four barnd new tyres of the correct size and load rating and to the spec of LR. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #91060016th Mar 2012 7:36 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I appreciate where you are coming from guys but the way I see it is that this is not a mechanical or legal issue? I run Cooper LTZ's which if i remember correctly are rated at 109 and although it may be an issue with the insurance company (which is also debateable as LR spec this load rating in Oz for the same weight car) It is doubtful it is a problem anywhere else as I believe the 109 rating still enables you to have over 1 tonne load at each corner of the vehicle and therefore in excess of 4 tonnes as a max load. As the D3 is approx 2.7 tonne unladen then add passengers and luggage etc and you would still be well under? Obviously I wouldnt put my life on this being correct but it was the way I interpreted the ratings before I went and purchased my tyres although I'm sure I will stand corrected? Confused

Ceekay
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #91060816th Mar 2012 7:47 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

As well the the load rating issue the size is a little different too (as Dunc pointed out), it's minor but if you want to be picky (and have something else to moan at the dealer about) it'll mean your speedo is slightly out

RRS 255/50 19
D3 255/55 19
 The End  
Post #91061316th Mar 2012 7:54 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ceekay wrote:
I appreciate where you are coming from guys but the way I see it is that this is not a mechanical or legal issue? I run Cooper LTZ's which if i remember correctly are rated at 109 and although it may be an issue with the insurance company (which is also debateable as LR spec this load rating in Oz for the same weight car)

Construction and use regs mean that technically it is a legal point ...if the manufacturers specification states 111 then that is what the regs demand. The Aussie case is a red herring because they operate to differing reg requirements. Whether or not these issues will come to light depend on the brightness of your MOT tester and PC Plod.

As for insurers... I know of someone whose motor was recently hit by a vehicle and now his own insurer is querying many aspects including tyres, wheels and mods ...which BTW are all OEM.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #91063016th Mar 2012 8:15 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I did say I would prob stand corrected! Laughing

It must obviously not be a pratice that this is enforced by the majority of garages as it a LR dealer that fitted my tyres onto D4 rims and then onto my D3. It was also this LR dealer that has just passed its mot a couple of weeks ago and as my insurance company are aware then I,m hoping that keeps me just about in the clear for now.

If I was constantly loading the D3 to capacity then I would not of gone down this route in the first place although I have just followed many forum members on their advice. I think the weight scenaio can be abit like the flying scenario where you may be charged for excess luggage but you may be personally be 10 stone in weight yet the passenger next to you is 25 stone and pays the same as you. In other words I know you have to set a limit somewhere but some D3 owners may be running their vehicles almost empty every day whilst others have got 7 overweight passengers in. For the very small load differences that there is between a 109 and 111 rating unless you are carrying alot of weight I dont think you are actually taking any risks as such. I do appreciate that there are limits and laws and that if any-one the LR dealers should know and enforce this as all gargaes really.

Cheers, Ceekay
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #91063716th Mar 2012 8:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >