Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tyre Pressures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
BN

England 

Anyway, there are no rules of engagement in France when it comes to driving Shocked . It is sheer fun, brakes and gas, unless of course you guys are on strike Rolling Eyes .

Post #819523rd Jul 2005 5:29 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Well, if you think that there are no R.O.E in France when it comes to driving, you should try Senegal ! it is even worse ! Believe me on that one... I just can't wait to be back in Paris and be subjected to normal and reasonable driving... Wink
I drove in Russia, Bosnia, Saudi Arabia & Bahreïn, Egypt and Morocco, all over Europe (Except UK... Sorry Surprised ) But frankly the Senegalese beat them all ! Driving here is just slightly less dangerous than playing Russian Roulette...

As for driving in France, I am quite sure that if I was to go to UK with my own car, it would appear dangerous to me too... Driving on the other side of the road changes quite a lot of things... Wink

Anyway, we are far from tyre pressure now... Wink

A friend on the french speaking forum was told by some guys from the french LRE not to deflate too much its tyres even in the sand on a DIII as then they become very prone to punctures... He was told not to lower than 1.4 bar which should translate as 20,31 PSI according to http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/pressure Sounds strange and reemphazise the need for true off-road tyres...

Post #820823rd Jul 2005 6:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Gurvan, I have been to all the countries you mention and especially the Gutaratchi region of India, now thats fun. If you want real fun and games try Angolia, not only dodge the traffic but the Ninja's as well.

Now back to the tyre pressures. Under normal circumstances I would not touch the tyres, but in sand (and I certainly would not take the original tyres) I would deflate them slightly, because MTR's have tougher side walls.

Post #821223rd Jul 2005 6:12 pm
Gurvan

India I did not try so far... Wink

But I can believe you...

I will try to find out the picture I took one day of a road in egypt where they had the the telephone line on post which where set where the divider line, in the middle of the road, was supposed to be... Real easy when you wanted to overtake... Wink

The information regarding tyre pressure from the french LRE guys was for the "normal" tyres...

Post #821823rd Jul 2005 6:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Gurvan, I would not even venture into serious sand with the normal tyres, no matter how good the car is.

Post #822023rd Jul 2005 6:23 pm
Gurvan

Understood... That guy took his disco III at the "Parc du Marquenterre", a closed-off area in the region of Somme not too far from Amiens, where it is possible to drive his own 4x4 in a sandy and hilly area... Wink

http://www.marcanterra.fr/

After all, why not ? They oblige you to go as a group and not alone so if you get stuck someone will help you out but then the Disco III will get a bad rep !

Post #822123rd Jul 2005 6:29 pm
BN

England 

Any off road travel should be with others for safety.

Post #822223rd Jul 2005 7:10 pm
FamilyMan

Back to UK

Finally made it back, 4 ferry trips and 1500 miles later. The car coped very well and didn't feel as sluggish as I was expecting. It pretty much felt like the best car on the road looking at all those cramped up families lining up for the ferries with luggage on their laps and car rear axle on it's knees.

I did have to raise the car to off-road when using the ferry ramps because the multiheight towbar is so flippin low in bike carrier mode. This was shortly followed by locking it down in access mode to clear the roof beams and then the same again when disembarking. I was waiting for the suspension to fail, particular with all the weight on board but no probs Smile .

The rest went very well. I managed to use cruise control for long periods of time due to the lack of French traffic and saw 27.5mpg at 80-85mph (130kmph-ish) for the whole journey. The only problem I encountered were French drivers who do insist of driving constantly 3 inches from your tailend. With the luggage in the rear view mirror, these guys would just disappear from view and it was easy to forget they were there.

Cabin space, comfort and functionality of the car was first class. The navigator was as detailed in France as the UK and it really does transform a journey like this so everyone can relax.

Seriously thinking about planning a ski trip to the Alps next. Confused
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #1133912th Aug 2005 11:19 am
BN

England 

And why not. Take a look at the pics of our off road fun day. The guys were fantastic. The vehicle awesome, like you found towing. 10's D2 and Martins 90 were the only ones to get a little stuck, just proved how fantastic the D3 is. Join us with the family on the 18th Sept for the next fun off road day. No damage by the way, apart from Slimer who got lost in the woods Rolling Eyes , think he caught a twig on the roof.

Post #1134112th Aug 2005 11:25 am
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Back to UK

FamilyMan wrote:
Finally made it back, 4 ferry trips and 1500 miles later. The car coped very well and didn't feel as sluggish as I was expecting. It pretty much felt like the best car on the road looking at all those cramped up families lining up for the ferries with luggage on their laps and car rear axle on it's knees.

I did have to raise the car to off-road when using the ferry ramps because the multiheight towbar is so flippin low in bike carrier mode. This was shortly followed by locking it down in access mode to clear the roof beams and then the same again when disembarking. I was waiting for the suspension to fail, particular with all the weight on board but no probs Smile .

The rest went very well. I managed to use cruise control for long periods of time due to the lack of French traffic and saw 27.5mpg at 80-85mph (130kmph-ish) for the whole journey. The only problem I encountered were French drivers who do insist of driving constantly 3 inches from your tailend. With the luggage in the rear view mirror, these guys would just disappear from view and it was easy to forget they were there.

Cabin space, comfort and functionality of the car was first class. The navigator was as detailed in France as the UK and it really does transform a journey like this so everyone can relax.

Welcome home, glad you had a good trip!
I have already booked up to go Loire Vally in 2 weeks time + skiing in the Alps in Feb next year all with the D3, so hope I do not have to call upon LR assistance while out there!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #1134212th Aug 2005 11:35 am
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Back to UK

Nickhearne wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:

Welcome home, glad you had a good trip!
I have already booked up to go Loire Vally in 2 weeks time + skiing in the Alps in Feb next year all with the D3, so hope I do not have to call upon LR assistance while out there!

A bit of optimism please, Nick, where you off skiing, Ethan and I are back to austria for a week in January - its a father son thing Thumbs Up
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #1134512th Aug 2005 11:45 am
BN

England 

Crumbs its going to be quiet in January. I'd better get away then to the Alps and Austria, D3 watching Shocked

Post #1134812th Aug 2005 11:53 am
Nickhearne

Sorry, must be more positive! we are off to La Plagne in France again been there twice B4! Nice & convenient with the kids as sky in sky out of the chalet.
Nick
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #1134912th Aug 2005 11:53 am
Nickhearne

BN wrote:
Crumbs its going to be quiet in January. I'd better get away then to the Alps and Austria, D3 watching Shocked

It's a Alps trip coming together! Wink
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #1135012th Aug 2005 12:00 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:
And why not. Take a look at the pics of our off road fun day. The guys were fantastic. The vehicle awesome, like you found towing. 10's D2 and Martins 90 were the only ones to get a little stuck, just proved how fantastic the D3 is. Join us with the family on the 18th Sept for the next fun off road day. No damage by the way, apart from Slimer who got lost in the woods Rolling Eyes , think he caught a twig on the roof.

We didn't get lost, just took an alternative route as the D2 infront of us had disappeared so we had to guess the way Exclamation Simon got caught by the twig, I stuck me hand out to guide it out of the way Very Happy

Si
 The End  
Post #1135512th Aug 2005 12:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >