DISCO3.CO.UK > Blackbox Solutions

VAT increase for BBS products
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
VAT increase for BBS products

As part of the Austerity measures the Cyprus Government is making, effective from 1st March 2012 the VAT rate in Cyprus is going up 2% from 15% to 17%

This will affect the total cost of all our equipment, be it kits, hardware or software to anyone in the EU who does not have a Valid VAT number.

I really hate being some unpaid tax collector, but this is nothing compared to what else they are doing otherwise and what they are specifically inflicting on private sector businesses.

Property rents now have quite a heavy Tax on them, there are significant annual fees just to be a Business, the cost of electricity has gone up significantly and there is a cleverly worded additional percentage added on top of the electricity bill, which is basically due to the government incompetently destroying the countries main power station.

Regards Vehicles:
I just Paid 1200 GBP for road tax on a vehicle, but the roads are so bad had just to throw a nearly new 250 GBP tyre in the bin after hitting a super deep pot hole.
There are apparently now about 5 Disco 4's on the island, but since the tax doubles their cost to about 80,000 GBP, i guess that is pretty understandable.
It also now costs about 1700 GBP just to register a vehicle here.

Post #90188026th Feb 2012 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Better make sure they dont look at the norwegian model for vehicle duty, they want £26000,- to let me put seats in the back Big Cry
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #90191726th Feb 2012 7:27 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Such is life, death and taxes and all that - at least you get the weather over there!

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #90194026th Feb 2012 8:52 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
they want £26000,- to let me put seats in the back

Hopefully thats a typo and you put in one zero to much. Shocked

Post #90211927th Feb 2012 11:35 am
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I think it really is £26k - from previous post that's NOT a typo!

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #90228627th Feb 2012 3:23 pm
mzplcg

England 

Try Denmark then. Sat here in Copehagen (freezing my man-boobs off) and talking to a colleague. New cars here are subject to 180% tax. That makes a new D4 about 135,000 Euro's. Shocked Shocked

Post #90230327th Feb 2012 4:00 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Thats all I can say.

Post #90231327th Feb 2012 4:17 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

its not a typo Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #90233727th Feb 2012 4:58 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Amazing as it sounds the car tax situation has actually improved here.

Back in 2003 duties were twice what they are today, and we were notified with but 2 weeks notice that the duty free allowance based on one vehicle per director of an offshore company was being withdrawn at the end of the month.

Having no Duty free vehicles, and allocation for 2 vehicles, we did not want to miss out and so quickly snapped up one of only two FFRR's available locally saving about 75,000 GBP, which as a local vehicle we managed to get finance for. But for the second, we bought something direct from an agent in Germany as a cancelled order from some footballer that could not wait and he had just got delivered from the factory. He could not ship it direct due to manufacturer agreements with the islands main importer and so put it on a transporter which drove it through the tunnel overnight to the address of a middle man car dealer mate somewhere up north in the UK.

With Time against me, I personally flew over for it's arrival, and with borrowed trade plates drove it to the cargo terminal at Heathrow.
I helped put it on a pallet, and disconnect its batteries etc, after which it was loaded into the belly of a regular Airbus A320 and flown to Cyprus.

That might sound expensive, but it was only about a grand and actually a third of the 2600 cost added to the Rangie for sea freighting it.

I also saved much more in having got separate invoices, one for the base vehicle on which i had to pay VAT i could not reclaim and one for the several thousands worth of options that i could then reclaim as Car parts Wink

It was almost funny that when the pallet with the vehicle arrived in Cyprus they actually had no equipment to get it off so we called in a recovery company with an adjustable flat bed to help.

I then drove home in a vehicle that with duties would have then cost anyone else a cool Quarter of a million GBP.

cdsymons
you would think so regarding the weather
In 2008, after 4 years of drought, the Cyprus government were forced to pay 38 Million Euro to ship 16 Million cubic metres of water in from Greece.

This year, we have had so much rain that the reservoirs are all overflowing, but guess what, we are all told to expect a 20% increase in our water bills this year.

cold_n_wet
I am familiar with the commercial V otherwise difference in taxation, although not quite to that extent.
Twin cab pick up's are an example of this here.

Unfortunately they have a weight limit which stops me taking on a commercial D4 as an alternate.

Post #90237127th Feb 2012 5:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lr-80

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

cold_n_wet wrote:
its not a typo Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Everything is expensive here, not just taxes. My 5 year old D3 cost 15K to reclassify from commercial. A timing belt AND service will put us back little less of 2K, before we start adding bushes and bearings... But we don't pay for school, small fees for kindergarten and health services. My wife and I have got a total of one year home with each child , fully paid. So living in an oil country is expensive, but with some real benefits. We have the oldest average age of cars in western Europe though...
 1951 Series One 80" 1600cc Deep Bronze Green
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Tonga Green 

Post #90241427th Feb 2012 7:05 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Some of these comments are just (in the best Victor Meldrew voice) unbelieeevable Big Cry

Quote:
In 2008, after 4 years of drought, the Cyprus government were forced to pay 38 Million Euro to ship 16 Million cubic metres of water in from Greece.

You would think given those circumstances, the Cyprus Government would consider building a desalination plant, after all its not as though you are short of sea water Thumbs Up

Post #90277728th Feb 2012 2:02 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

B16 KJR

They are building them, and apparently that's the reason why we now have to pay more.
as unbelieeevable as it sounds, they state that although the new plants are not required or in use due to the heavy rainfall this year, it still costs to build and maintain them and so they have to charge more.

One of my employes just told me that they are having their water supply cut off quite regularly, which is apparently due to regular flooding of their villages pumping station. This was apparently built in a Dry river bed !!!

If you think that is bad, these 16 Million Cubic metres of water our government purchased from Greece was delivered in about 4 or 5 tankers. We were all really desperate by the time the first tanker actually arrived, but apparently we had the wrong connectors or something and by the time they sorted it out the water was stagnant and had to be dumped into the sea !!!

Our local village municipality declared that whatever water was still being delivered via the taps was not even safe enough to wash in and actually started providing bottled water.

I know times are tough for everyone right now, but i really think the Cyprus government deserve a medal for being the most incompetent in Europe and possibly the world.

If you do not already know, the Cyprus Government took 91 40 foot containers of high explosives that were already quite iffy and stacked them, Pyramid fashion, just a couple of hundred feet away from the countries multi billions worth of main power station and left them to cook in the relentless Cyprus sun. Ignoring the physical warnings, ehe inevitable explosion naturally destroyed the station, left everyone without power for months on end, crippling most businesses and not surprisingly the insurance on the power station does not really cover this as some act of god etc.

The monetary cost to this country was bad enough, but 12 very good men were also killed and in such a small country where everyone knows everyone and family values mean so much more than in most other countries this human loss was utterly devastating.

You can probably live with their being high taxes on some luxury items, you can accept that the worlds current economic climate requires all of us to pull in our belts a bit an accept some sacrifices. But it is really hard when you know you are having to pay through the nose for such immense cock up's as this Government has truly made.

Post #90292728th Feb 2012 7:19 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

WOW, kind of puts things into perspective when we complain about the state of things over here Shocked

Post #90294828th Feb 2012 7:59 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

There is a Thread here on this with some pretty stunning pictures.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic67484.html

Post #90312129th Feb 2012 7:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >