Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Cursed TPMS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Cursed TPMS

So our Disco has TPMS fitted, we didn't choose it, it just came with it when we bought it used from LR. In fact most people comment that they have never seen another Disco with it. It's not any use in my experience, when the weather gets cold it flags a warning but apart from that it keeps quiet.

Unlike the BMW system that relies on the ABS sensors to compare relative wheel speeds, the LR system has sensors fitted to the wheel inside the tyre which are integral to the valves. Which is fine except that it means you have to replace the sensor everytime you need to replace the valve.

BUT, the valve stems corrode; for the second time in our ownership I stopped to check the tyre pressures and the valve cap came off with the stem as I tried to undo it! I went to fit the spare and whoever handled it last had broken that stem in half as well although the rubber had stayed in place and the tyre pressure was still high. I managed to buy the parts from the local dealer who thankfully had stock but the tyre shop broke two more when they checked the the other two tyre pressure! To be fair they were badly corroded too.

All in all a bill of £400 for the sake of some decent metal on the valve stems! If it hadn't been for the new MOT regs I think i would have put up with the warning light and had regular rubber and brass stems.

Question is: is there anything i can do to stop these valves stem corroding next time? Cover them in grease? Except then they'd pick up loads of dirt surely?
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #90168326th Feb 2012 9:00 am
mzplcg

England 

To be brutally honest I thought the same about the TPMS on my FFRR. Total rubbish. Get one of the resident Faultmate guys to turn the thing off with a Faultmate and return to normal valves. This will also help with having 2 sets of wheels if you ever decide to run winter/summer.

Post #90169326th Feb 2012 9:21 am
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I bought a second second of rims this year and if I had got around to having them fitted with winters that would have sealed the system's fate but I never got around to it so it lives on... I didn't quite have the heart to kill it off yesterday.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #90171026th Feb 2012 10:44 am
Alex08

Scotland 

Valve stems do corrode - more so if metal valve caps have been fitted at some time. The TPMS is very effective when it works and better than the abs systems which rely on the tyre deflating enough to produce a differential speed of rotation which means the tyre is really quite deflated before it triggers with more chance of tyre damage. the trade off with the LR system is that it more accurate but not maintenance free and reasonably the sensors need to be replaced after 5 years or so. If the corrosion I problem coud be fixed that woud be fine, but as a safety feature it is silly to loose if for the sake of £350 for new valves and sensors every 5 years. Most of us spend much more than that on fun bits in a year which don't make the world a safer place. For the sake of a few quid fix it.

I've had it since new and it has always been accurate. Given the choice now I woud have the trailair system but certainly I wouldn't disable it. iSTR that if fitted correct operation is part of the new MOT.

Post #90172026th Feb 2012 11:39 am
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bit of a revival but the same here in that I have had the system from new. Just changed the sensors out now at 4.5 years 85k and £200 for five. Self programming and never given me any problems. Quite happy with it. Don't fit metal caps and I always just wipe the cap with a spot of grease.

Post #93447923rd May 2012 10:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >