DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Amateur Radio in a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Amateur Radio in a D3

Hello
I wonder if there are any radio amateurs out there who have installed radio equipment in their D3s' yet? Either HF, VHF, or UHF.
I'd be intererested in any problems or tips etc, especially on how they may have mounted aerials.

Post #10298919th Nov 2006 8:53 pm
pbaker

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Amateur Radio in a D3,,.. soon!

Hi - thanks for your question.

This is my first post but I have been practicing my 'permagrin' for a while. My D3 is due within the next week or so after ordering back in May.

Regarding radio, I infer that there are no EMC problems, and a quite a few installations around, from UK to VK!.

There are several excellent posts about HF installation, power feeds, head unit install, etc.. thanks to all the contributors.

I will be moving my IC7000 into my D3 and have designed a 'luffing' rooftop mechanism so that I can dock the D3 in the underground car park ASAP.

What are you planning?
 GS Arctic Frost, Auto, Cruise, Roof Bars (for amateur/ham radio antennas), tow kit, side mouldings, folding mirrors, alpine roof....  
Post #10302119th Nov 2006 9:59 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There are some pix in my gallery of my Ft-857 + ATAS 120 Antenna D3 Install.
In a nut shell:
Have the separation kit so main unit of FT-857 installed in boot behind the rear panel on the left.
Head unit mounted on "home made" bracket on dash - tidy despite my handy work Embarassed
Power feed straight from battery terminals to limit noise - cable brought into the car through Aux battery grommet (happy to photograph if helpful?)
Antenna mounted rear on ladder and cable fed through rear light cluster to avoid drilling.
ATAS 120 is Auto tune and I get excellent S.W.R. on all bands through to UHF.

Sound fed through the AUX input on main audio unit for better sound and integration.

Happy to help if you have any other questions.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #10306419th Nov 2006 10:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alanwxr

Thanks for the replies.

Not too sure which radio I'm going to fit in yet. Started off with an Icom 706 in the TD5 but changed it too a Yaesu FT 8900 because I wasn't using HF that much and the 8900 was more use for talkthrough for Raynet etc.

Have got roofrails and bars on ready for aerials, but am trying to find some brackets to fit standard steel bars from Halfords to the LR cross bars so that I can fit the aerials to the steel bars without damaging the LR stuff.

I'd be interested "Mossy" of any pics you have including the one getting the cable through the bulkhead. I usually go straight to the battery but have been a little bit nervous with this D3. Wonder what you generally think about the 857 as well "Mossy"?

Thanks to you as well "Pbaker, hope you enjoy the D3 when it arrives. This is my fifth LR and by far the best Disco I've had. My only concern is that I do so many miles in it Smile No doubt the 7000 will look good in it! I was fortunate when I bought my D3, it was off the shelf! The TD5 broke down in the wilds of Scotland, and I spent ten hours being hauled home to Yorkshire. Next day took it in to the dealers to get repaired and walked out with a four month old demo D3 at an excellent price. No regrets since, love it.

Post #10354521st Nov 2006 3:03 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

This thread seems to discuss such an installation.

Hope it helps !

Post #10355221st Nov 2006 3:25 pm
alanwxr

Which thread 'zebadee'?

Post #10356021st Nov 2006 4:13 pm
Mossy

alanwxr wrote:
...I'd be interested "Mossy" of any pics you have including the one getting the cable through the bulkhead. I usually go straight to the battery but have been a little bit nervous with this D3. Wonder what you generally think about the 857 as well "Mossy"?

I'll post some pictures of the full install later, though you'll have to wait until the weekend or daylight when I have my camera for the battery through the bulkhead shot. Easier than you think though as the car has a grommet through from the engine bay into the cabin - it's there for the Aux battery install so no drilling just a bodge through with a screwdriver, feed the cable and blob some sealant for a watertight seal - the pictures will show more.

Pleased with the FT-857 - use it 99% mobile and this weekend had excellent reports through on 40M across the UK and Ireland and deep into mainland Europe - whilst on the move without any noise ignition or otherwise. The antenna ATAS-120 is a bit of a compromise further up the spectrum, but more than adequate for my needs - the auto tune function is a big help and fun in tarffic jam. I have the TCXO-9 Xtal fitted to the FT-857 and have MARS modded by software (rather than jumper) as I have the non-'D' version Wink .

Again stability is excellent and sound is fine. Think the UK spec comes with the DSP fitted as standard so as for output audio it is very good. I have my audio routed through the car's Logic 7 system... which is nice 8), as the speaker is a bit weedy on it's own when driving.

I'll post again when the pictures are up. I thought I had posted the install on the forum, but seems to have gone walkabout.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #10356721st Nov 2006 4:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mossy wrote:
the car has a grommet through from the engine bay into the cabin - it's there for the Aux battery install so no drilling just a bodge through with a screwdriver
Mossy, are you talking about the grommeted hole adjacent to the brake servo? - if so, it's for the clutch hydraulics Wink still usable but obviously less room...
you can pick up a 40A permanenet feed from the CJB or use the 30A switched feed for the towing electrics, lots of -ve connection points front & rear

Post #10357021st Nov 2006 4:44 pm
Mossy

10forcash wrote:
...Mossy, are you talking about the grommeted hole adjacent to the brake servo? - if so, it's for the clutch hydraulics Wink still usable but obviously less room...

Errrrrr might be - its just rubber blanking grommet - nothing passes through it until my screwdriver. Wink

I've just fed the cable from the battery through this into and out from under the dash -confirm your identification - to me....? well, "It's just a hole." (Sounds familiar).

P
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #10357721st Nov 2006 4:56 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Must admit Mossys system is impressive.

Post #10359921st Nov 2006 6:00 pm
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Mossy wrote:
alanwxr wrote:
...I'd be interested "Mossy" of any pics you have including the one getting the cable through the bulkhead. I usually go straight to the battery but have been a little bit nervous with this D3. Wonder what you generally think about the 857 as well "Mossy"?

I'll post some pictures of the full install later, though you'll have to wait until the weekend or daylight when I have my camera for the battery through the bulkhead shot. Easier than you think though as the car has a grommet through from the engine bay into the cabin - it's there for the Aux battery install so no drilling just a bodge through with a screwdriver, feed the cable and blob some sealant for a watertight seal - the pictures will show more.

Pleased with the FT-857 - use it 99% mobile and this weekend had excellent reports through on 40M across the UK and Ireland and deep into mainland Europe - whilst on the move without any noise ignition or otherwise. The antenna ATAS-120 is a bit of a compromise further up the spectrum, but more than adequate for my needs - the auto tune function is a big help and fun in tarffic jam. I have the TCXO-9 Xtal fitted to the FT-857 and have MARS modded by software (rather than jumper) as I have the non-'D' version Wink .

Again stability is excellent and sound is fine. Think the UK spec comes with the DSP fitted as standard so as for output audio it is very good. I have my audio routed through the car's Logic 7 system... which is nice 8), as the speaker is a bit weedy on it's own when driving.

I'll post again when the pictures are up. I thought I had posted the install on the forum, but seems to have gone walkabout.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Paul

I think I saw your Disco on the ring road in Chester 2 weekends ago in silver with an impressive aerial sprouting up from the rear of the roof, rear door ladder, front spoiler, I think, and high mounted exhaust up the driver's side. Verrry nice I thought! Bit of a looker!! I was in a Java black HSE thinking ummm.. this looks the biz. How much did it cost to have the extras - exhaust, rear ladder etc? But in silver the impact is great! Did you fit all kit yourself?

Post #10434723rd Nov 2006 11:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you will find its not an exhaust, but the Land Rover raised air intake Wink

Post #10435723rd Nov 2006 11:57 pm
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
I think you will find its not an exhaust, but the Land Rover raised air intake Wink

Oops, yes... what was I thinking about. Rolling Eyes

Post #10435824th Nov 2006 12:00 am
JMC

Scotland 
Re: Amateur Radio in a D3,,.. soon!

pbaker wrote:
I will be moving my IC7000 into my D3 and have designed a 'luffing' rooftop mechanism so that I can dock the D3 in the underground car park ASAP. What are you planning?

IC-7000 fits perfectly above the fridge and the top cover closes over it (remote head mount needed):

Best site for an antenna is on a gutter mount fitted to the roof rails with the coax running down the side of the rear door(s) and into the cabin under the bottom door 'flap':

As for power, unless you want to go through the bulkhead, take a 12v suppy off a cigar lighter cable and run 50% RF power....

Post #10437124th Nov 2006 1:28 am
Mossy

PeanutBob wrote:
...I think I saw your Disco on the ring road in Chester 2 weekends ago in silver with an impressive aerial sprouting up from the rear of the roof, rear door ladder, front spoiler, I think, and high mounted exhaust up the driver's side. Verrry nice I thought! Bit of a looker!! I was in a Java black HSE thinking ummm.. this looks the biz. How much did it cost to have the extras - exhaust, rear ladder etc? But in silver the impact is great! Did you fit all kit yourself?

I've been spotted!!! (Hopefully a regular application of zit cream should clear me up Laughing )

Yup, sounds a lot like me. Part of the reason I chose silver was the contrast with black accessories, although some may argue I lost a fight with an Airfix factory (arnt women soooo cruel??? Crying or Very sad ) and it hides the dirt well Embarassed

As Gareth said, the plastic up the side is the raised air intake. Most of the accessories were sourced at discount from various outlets - ebay featuring a lot, but I would guess, from tow bar to winch, lights, A-frame, guards, etc. if dealer fitted - about £5K+ (It pays to shop around Wink )

I'll look out for you - flash me Shocked - if it's you and you think you've seen me again, or if you see some slightly disturbed lunatic waving like a mentalist back at you. Keep the doors locked though, just in case Ner Ner
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #10438224th Nov 2006 7:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >