Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Amateur Radio in a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Try 99.8FM - Radio 2BR. It's about as amateur as you can get!!!
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #10440524th Nov 2006 10:23 am
pbaker

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Thanks JMC and all for the information. I like the way the IC7000 control head fits above the fridge. My D3 won't have a fridge but I will have a look at the space when I pick it up on Friday 1st Dec!!!! Very Happy

Question - how do you get a good solid earth connection near the base of the roof mounted HF antenna? (Should improve performance).

I will post pics of my roof antenna luffing design when installed in a few weeks time; I have most of the parts together now including the 12v linear actuator.
 GS Arctic Frost, Auto, Cruise, Roof Bars (for amateur/ham radio antennas), tow kit, side mouldings, folding mirrors, alpine roof....  
Post #10459925th Nov 2006 9:25 am
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks to all for the excellent replies, certainly given me some good ideas for mine.
Keep the ideas coming, nice to know there are other amateurs in D3's! Very Happy

Post #10462625th Nov 2006 1:04 pm
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I don't have my license yet, but hope to in the next month or so. In the meantime, I've been looking at antenna installations on my D3. It looks to me that a t-bolt in the roof rail would make a great base anchor for an antenna, even a screwdriver HF type.

The problem I've been looking at is running the cable - I like what someone else posted about running it under the rear flap - that makes a lot of sense. It looks to me that you could pop off the piece of trim at the end of the roof rail and routing out a groove in it to accommodate the cable.

And putting the transceiver in the left rear access compartment is a great idea.

Has anyone opened up the antenna housing at the center of the roof for the satnav/Sirius/cell phone antenna ? I don't have the right tool, but it looks like a good spot to place an aftermarket GPS... Or is there already a GPS antenna there ?? I'd like to be able to set up APRS along with HF/VHF/UHF among other things.

Don

Post #10465425th Nov 2006 6:34 pm
alanwxr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks to all for the replies. Just tried a gutter mount and one of those small boot lid type mounts on the roof rails "JMC" and they fit a treat.

Probably not srong enough for a big HF aerial but an easy fit for a decent size VHF/UHF aerial.

Thanks for that "JMC" can't think of why I didn't try that before! Must be the old age!

Post #10491727th Nov 2006 8:59 am
JMC

Scotland 

alanwxr wrote:
Probably not srong enough for a big HF aerial but an easy fit for a decent size VHF/UHF aerial.Thanks for that "JMC" can't think of why I didn't try that before! Must be the old age!

You're welcome Wink

I had a substantial 8ft HF antenna (Icom AH-2B) on my old Disco which was mounted on the spare wheel carrier with an ATU, but there is nowhere I can find on the D3 to fit such a beast. I certainly would not suggest an HF antenna on the roof rails as you would have to keep an eye out for bridges Razz

Post #10501927th Nov 2006 2:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dlm3

JMC wrote:
I had a substantial 8ft HF antenna (Icom AH-2B) on my old Disco which was mounted on the spare wheel carrier with an ATU, but there is nowhere I can find on the D3 to fit such a beast. I certainly would not suggest an HF antenna on the roof rails as you would have to keep an eye out for bridges

You would need some sort of folding mechanism to lower the antenna while underway for a roof rail mount - first got the idea from a Diamond HF antenna rig sold by Expedition Exchange. Depending upon the antenna, this might not be sufficient to raise or lower a large screwdriver type.

I've been looking semi-seriously at a Kaymar bumper w/full-size spare mount. They also make a bracket suitable for a hefty HF antenna. Seems like a lot of work and expense, but if you find the stock location of the spare as ludicrous as I do, this would be a win-win solution.

Post #10508027th Nov 2006 6:15 pm
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

dlm3 wrote:

And putting the transceiver in the left rear access compartment is a great idea.

Has anyone opened up the antenna housing at the center of the roof for the satnav/Sirius/cell phone antenna ? I don't have the right tool, but it looks like a good spot to place an aftermarket GPS... Or is there already a GPS antenna there ?? I'd like to be able to set up APRS along with HF/VHF/UHF among other things.

Don

I am in the same boat right now... I am pretty sure I am going to put a 2 meter APRS rig in the disco. The satnav antenna on my '05 is much different than the newer "shark fin" antennas, and is much more flush mounted than those. I think I will probably get a second GPS antenna to use for APRS exclusively, and run it into a Kenwood TM-D700A.

My problem is where to mount the radio. I have an HSE with 3rd row seats and the rear climate control, so the left hand side cargo area has the big ass rear climate fan and condenser, as well as the towing hitch. Right side has the spare tire gear. Both front seats have the Nav computer and Audio Amp. I may sacrifice the center console cubby and put it in there, unless someone else has an idea I haven't thought of.

Post #11361328th Dec 2006 3:02 am
dlm3

I have a major advantage on you then, I have a space below the platform in the rear (including the space where the jack is stored), as well as the spaces above either wheel well.

How about a ceiling mount ? Or maybe you can give up a glove box ? For a small enough transceiver (I'm thinking about the Yaesu FT-857D), it doesn't require much room.

Post #11410129th Dec 2006 11:34 pm
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

dlm3 wrote:
I have a major advantage on you then, I have a space below the platform in the rear (including the space where the jack is stored), as well as the spaces above either wheel well.

How about a ceiling mount ? Or maybe you can give up a glove box ? For a small enough transceiver (I'm thinking about the Yaesu FT-857D), it doesn't require much room.

You know, I didn't even think of the lower glove box. That would work perfectly. I think I am going to go ahead with the TM-D700, get a small puck GPS antenna that will directly output NMEA GPS for APRS, and I will be good to go for 2 meter and 70 cm.

Post #11410930th Dec 2006 12:22 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
radio install

check this out,

from a post by 'alinton'.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #11413630th Dec 2006 10:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >