Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Judder with gentle acceleration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Mike_Hammond

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Found my issue , two smaller pipes on the diesel filter were crossed. That'll teach me to make a note before removing things Whistle

Luckily you can just about reach in through the wheel arch so didn't need to drop the gearbox cover plate off the bottom 8)

Big thanks to Steve of Advanced Factors who pm'd me straightaway offering to send me another fuel filter just in case the first was a dud Thumbs Up

Post #11252871st Jul 2013 6:44 pm
shanetrotter

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I don't understand how this would cause the judder you describe. I have almost identical symptoms bur it feels so like a mechanical issue. In mine it occurs as load gently increases around 1500-1700rpm. When on cruise control when gearbox drops to 6th I have to resort to manually selecting 5th and as engine revs rise the judder disappears. I hope it's something simple since I have to drive back from Spain in a few weeks with a large caravan behind.

Post #11273935th Jul 2013 9:22 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Shane, yours sounds like it definitely needs a transmission oil change, and a tube of Dr tranny judder fix.

Post #11274665th Jul 2013 11:28 pm
shanetrotter

What causes the shuddering? The vehicle is only 4 yo and 90000 miles on clock. Also, how easy is it to change the oil? Would I be better getting nearest dealer in Spain to change it rather than try myself in campsite? I think I know the answer. Just had hernia options in local hospital so this holiday has been a bundle of fun so far!!

Post #113436121st Jul 2013 10:09 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Shane, definitely sounds like the judders that a tube a Dr Tranny will fix in short term. If you cannot do that before you head for home with caravan, I would avoid using cruise control and allow the car to slow on the inclines and the transmission and TC not work so hard to retain speed. The juddering increases heat within the ATF oil, which is to be avoided and will make the judders worse and possibly lead to transmission faults and loss of gears.

Underlying reason for the judders could be contaminated ATF (doubtful on 4 year old car) or just deterioration of the ATF (more likely if you pull a large caravan regularly). The LR ATF change at 150k miles is too long in those instances. Folk on here changing at half that.

Good luck
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #113446822nd Jul 2013 9:16 am
IanNP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

After quite some time of trying to get to the bottom of my juddering issue it seems that quite by chance it has now gone!
For probably the last 6 months when I went of some types of bumps in the roads there had been an accompanying knock, which was either bottom ball joints or front anti roll bar bushes. The MOT was due and play was found in both items.
I had the complete drivers side lower control arm replaced (with new updated version) and the judder was no more. A week later it went in to have the passenger side arm replaced and the anti roll bar bushes.
Now I have no knocks and no judder Smile
 ..so what can I fiddle with today that ain't broken ...?  
Post #114572919th Aug 2013 7:57 pm
shanetrotter

After another trip to Spain with caravan I got fed up with command shift, sport mode all the time to try to keep revs up above 2000 to clear judder. On return journey, whilst pulling off from stationary experienced violent juddering on occasion. Back home despairing about cost of new box. Looked through old replies and got tube of Dr Tranny. Got most of it in through filler. Drove car (120000 on clock) wow. Transformed transmission. Out tonight again just to prove to myself that I not imagining things! Smooth changes. Smooth lock-up. Try this first!!

Post #132541615th Aug 2014 9:25 pm
shanetrotter

Another point. My son found lots of references to similar issues with ZF boxes in different vehicles in the US. Most seemed to find a solution in Dr Tranny stuff.
It's a bit disappointing that the technology seems so poor. My old RR did 250000 miles before I traded it in. The only thing that still worked well was the ZF box!!

Post #132542115th Aug 2014 9:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >