Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Blackbox Solutions

Credit Card & paypal Surcharges
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I am surpised that no mention has been made of Electroic Funds Transfer.

I realise that the purchasr has no protection, but I have no hesitation using it to pay well known people whom I trust, including a number of the forum.

In the past I used to offer an Amex Card, then offer to pay cash for a reasonable discount !

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #8784763rd Jan 2012 10:35 pm
Apache

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

leeds wrote:
Apache, do you want to pm me your card service company details and the fee structure please?

PM on way

Post #8784803rd Jan 2012 10:56 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

You had better send that PM to me as well... if you are getting rates like that on any turnover below 250k then you have a good deal.. are you sure you didnt sell your soul to the devil at some point?

Post #8784823rd Jan 2012 11:00 pm
Apache

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

We get a preferential rate through one of the organisations that we are a member. We are a new business and we bank with HSBC, it's a special offer through HSBC merchant services. You need to be a vet...........

Post #8784853rd Jan 2012 11:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Nobody would expect businesses to itemise any other overhead costs on top of the sale price so why should fees be any different ......just make the cc \dc\ paypal charges inclusive and surely you become happy and so will your customer Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 4th Jan 2012 12:44 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8784883rd Jan 2012 11:12 pm
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

Excuse me while I Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
We're all in the Market Economy that so many have been promoting for years.
We're all Customers - not passengers, clients, members of the public, "rate" payers, insurers, etc.
The Iron Rules of the Market apply - Supply & Demand - yesterday my Ferry fare was
£1 000, today it's £1 500.
I drove past my local Girls' 'Public' School [Fee paying] earlier today, they're to be a Free School and are Full already.

It's called Free Market Cap-it-alizm, excuse me if I trip you up in the rush to the trough.

Oink, Oink Pig Pig Pig Pig Pig Pig Pig Pig
AAA Very Happy

Post #8784903rd Jan 2012 11:25 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Jesus h Christ I find myself agreeing with DG!

Off to the docs to get tested.

Pom

Post #8784964th Jan 2012 12:15 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Cant agree with DG on this surely if you build in the credit costs so that everyone is paying without knowing it thats not giving best value to those who dont use the credit

do you then offer a discount for other payment methods ? how stupid is that
BBS is just trying to be as transparent as possible with his customers costs a refreshing change Thumbs Up

credit is blooby expensive now theres no such thing as a free lunch get real
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #8785644th Jan 2012 9:23 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I totally agree with DG... the cost of financial transactions is just another business overhead which should be included in the sale price. If a business doesn't want to pay the fees some banks charge, then don't accept those cards.

However, I don't think it is stupid for businesses to offer discounts for other payment methods. Businesses can charge what they like and if some of those savings can be passed onto customers then surely, thats a good thing? This is very different to adding a surcharge on at the end, which is often misleading and harms fair competition. It wasn't just Ryanair!

Isn't the problem the fact that some banks and credit card companies are trying to tell businesses what they can charge for using their competitors services. Totally outrageous and anti-competitive. If they try that with my business they get dropped like a stone!

Post #8786144th Jan 2012 11:22 am
WOODY179

United Kingdom 
Re: Credit Card & paypal Surcharges

These fees have always been unfair, agree with DG the price should be inclusive. If I see that a surcharge will be added for using my CC I will go elsewhere and I doubt i'm the only one that will! The real problem has been that most of the companies that charge these fees have seen it as a way of boosting profits with fees of sometimes 10 or 15 times the actual fees charged by the banks - sellers do not seem to realise that the general public can also find out aproximately how much the banks would charge for the transaction!

BBS SPY wrote:
now anyone buying our equipment, even those paying by Bank transfer or debit card will end up paying an extra 6% more.

Sorry adding 6% accoss the board would make me think twice about purchasing. Also If I was a prosepective purchaser, hadn't heard of you before, did a search on the internet and found that statement I would steer clear anyway.

The best thing to do would be not to accept Paypal and I wish a lot of other companies would do the same as their fees are really excessive

Last edited by WOODY179 on 4th Jan 2012 8:20 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #8787284th Jan 2012 4:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
cc fees

Hi All
I too run a small business and now dont accept paypal or amex one of the posters pointed out about getting really good cc rates but then went onto say you had to be a member of something to get these preferential rates

I would ask you what it costs to be a member to get these rates as I used to be a member of the federation of small business only to find out the hard way that when they were really needed they let me down I had to ask myself was the membership fee then worth it even although I got better rates.

Yes I fully understand what every business owner is charged for accepting cc and no matter what we are being ripped of by all the cc companies and banks.

Why should we lose out on our profit margins because these companies are greedy it isnt just us credit card companies charge YOU the consumer for the priveledge of using their card and then charge us again for the priveledge of accepting it.
If you ask a non business owner about costs to run a small business they will not have a clue and just see extra costs and thinks that you are ripping them off.

Things are getting financially tighter for the smaller businesses and very soon we will have to start passing these costs on, I for years have taken these charges on the chin as we need the sales to survive because our industry is very competitive, we also may have to start passing these extra costs on to survive

cheers

Post #8788414th Jan 2012 7:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Woody and DG etc, so you suggest that i should just do exactly what Paypay (in accordance with CC enforced wishes) and secretly hide this 6% extra to our products cost, for only the sole benefit of the CC companies (Banks GRRR) and say absolutely nothing, pocketing the extra from those paying by alternate means like Cash, Cheque or Debit cards rather than be dead honest with our customers and fairly split the losses encountered by THEIR choice of an easier, safer or more protected method.

I just loathe the fact that this seemingly beneficial change for consumers is really just a another benefit for the bankers, under which i can't even offer a discount for other payment methods.

I have always offered our equipment at the best possible price i can, and my goal has always been to help owners out.
Despite constantly rising costs, i have not increased the price of our equipment for years and continue to offer a 10% discount to established members of this Forum, which many have enjoyed.
I have openly, honestly and transparently explained our 3% surcharge to any who have asked and suggested alternate payment methods to avoid it, but now even that ability has been taken away from us.

If anyone thinks i can somehow silently absorb an additional 6% to follow suit for the bankers benefit, you are very wrong and i await anyone to put forward their offer to cover this cost as they would perhaps suggest i do.

Post #8788614th Jan 2012 8:18 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
here here

Hi Colin
Well said Id like to here some suggestions also

OH and seeing as many small business are loosing money at the moment and hanging on by their fingernails to survive is there anyone that might just like to bail us out like the banks, as if we were that much in debt to the government we would now be in prison for fraud but these Censored just seem to keep getting away with it
cheers

Post #8788674th Jan 2012 8:27 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

All I have heard in the press is that excessive surcharges have been banned (unless I have missed something) and the only amount that can be added is a reasonable fee - ie one that would cover the fee and no more. I still would look around to see if I could avoid paying a surcharge but if not and the fee was reasonable then I would have to make the choice as to purchase or not - after all purchasing an item via CC does give you a bit of insurance. A lot of these fees are not reasonable and are seen by the seller as a way to raise extra income - not saying this about you BBS just in general. What most sellers tend to forget is that the general public can easily look up approximately how much the transaction will cost in fees.

Most sellers build in to the cost of the goods the average cost of the transaction - which is perfectly acceptable.

I still say, do you have to use paypal as they do seem to charge unreasonable fees - they really do need a lot more competition.

I'm also not suggesting you absorb the 6% costs Shocked - dont think many (if any) businesses could do that.

Post #8788744th Jan 2012 8:45 pm
packingstrips

If all of your customers registered their personal bank accounts with paypal they could simply pay via the direct bank transfer which if i remember correctly has no charge attached to it.

Post #8789034th Jan 2012 9:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >