Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Who to listen to when it comes to tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
oliver77

Wales 
Who to listen to when it comes to tyres?

With thoughts of skiing trips firmly in my mind I had planned to get some Goodyear MTR's fitted to my Disco. However, after being on my day out at the Land Rover Experience at Eastnor, I have been told that with the active rear diff and the wranglers I have on from the factory, these would be better in the snow than the MTR's. I waited until the afternoon to quietly ask the same question of another instructor and he said the same but always good to have some snow chains on board incase it gets really bad.

Also, they showed me the difference between locking rear diff and not having one. They had a very very steep slippy bank and said that if you got to the top of it in a D3 you would get a round of applause. If you did it in one with a rear locker you could chat to your passengers on the way up and not even bother too much. No other LR Product will go up it.

They said that the rear diff is significant as it takes a lot of pressure off the TR system and allows you more low speed control. They did a couple of demos, one with and one without and it was quite different.

They did say that D3 is the best thing they have but that it is 10% driver skill and 90% car whereas it's 50/50 with most other makes including the Defender.

Anyway, I hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs but I didn't know this stuff so I'm guessing that some others may not either??

Post #10052810th Nov 2006 3:45 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

On our event days we have witnessed various tyre combinations along with various D3 combinations covering every drive train available. We have found that in some cases the road tyres will go further than the MTRs In some cases the rear locking diff car would not go as far as the standard car so on and so on.
I have MTRs fitted to my D3 cause I feel more comfortable with them, they are cheaper and last a lot longer than standard tyres oh and the look ard.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #10054710th Nov 2006 4:04 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Agree about the rear diff, it helps maintain traction whereas TC can only attempt to regain it - an important difference when momentum is required.
Tyre choice for snow depends upon wether you intend to drive mainly on fresh loose stuff or packed snow although, like sand, less agressive treads generally perform better. Chains are useful on frozen packed snow as they will bite into the surface - something no tyre (unless studded) can do on their own

Post #10054910th Nov 2006 4:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oliver77

Wales 

The looking ard bit sounds good.
They have switches on some of the cars at Eastnor to shut of power to the locking diff but they only ever switch it off to demonstrate the difference. Didn't see the switch on the options list when I ordered!!

Post #10055110th Nov 2006 4:07 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

oliver77 wrote:
The looking ard bit sounds good.
They have switches on some of the cars at Eastnor to shut of power to the locking diff but they only ever switch it off to demonstrate the difference. Didn't see the switch on the options list when I ordered!!

Hmmm...I've been thinking of retrofitting a Base model to have the rear diff. I would assume it's just a matter of applying the right voltage to engage the locker. Trick is getting the right voltage and generating the pulsing current that operates it and holds it in the engaged position.....

Post #10058810th Nov 2006 5:07 pm
oliver77

Wales 

Not sure. A colleague had a quote to retro fit a Rear Locker on his current D3. Dealer had never done it before but quoted £2680.10 for the job Censored

Post #10059010th Nov 2006 5:10 pm
jacob

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

hi Oliver77,

do u remeber at which setting they had the TR, when u tried the
slope ??? only at ''rock crawlling'' u have both central/rear diff locked.
however since u said tht it was very slippy should use ''grass/gravel/snow''
????

thanks
jacob

Post #10059110th Nov 2006 5:11 pm
oliver77

Wales 

Was in Grass Gravel Snow. Rock Crawl is the easiest setting to get the diff to lock in but with the slope, the car locked pretty quickly.

Post #10059210th Nov 2006 5:16 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The rear locking diff is progressive so not just on/off Nathan, even if you could retro fit one you really need the software to operate it correctly
 The End  
Post #10059310th Nov 2006 5:21 pm
oliver77

Wales 

I don't think it's a simple job. the dealer quoted for a totally new and different diff which has extra parts in it, sensors, wiring, reprogramming and about 22 hours to do it all.

Post #10060010th Nov 2006 5:35 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think to an extent you have hit the nail on the head, it depends what snow you are driving on. It might be worth canvassing opinions of the locals rather than just relying on UK based people, unless they drive in those conditions a lot.

TFC I'm intregued when a car with the rear lock won't go as far as one without?

You're right MTRs do look ard, but using them on road a lot would do my head in!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #10061710th Nov 2006 5:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >