Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

pitted alloy wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

I'm confused, what is wheel cleaning? Confused
I thought that wheels were only cleaned by dealer's, so that their highly professionally, knowledgeable engineers don't get nasty dirty black hands when they use their gold plated spanners and diamond encrusted screwdrivers.
Very Happy

Post #13013415th Feb 2007 1:14 pm
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Presumably wheel pitting caused by brake dust is just a fact of life, unless you clean them after almost every drive? I presume this is not the "pitting" being talked of here - but perhaps someone can enlighten me?
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #13025015th Feb 2007 7:09 pm
simonacraig

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

It's the area of the alloys which create the flatter more horizontal parts.

I have the 5 spoke 18 inch style 1 alloys and it's the area between each of the spokes. The paint finish is really rough and holds all the brake dust in its pores. That's why I have to use alloy wheel cleaner. Nothing else would get the wheels clean.

I tried cleaning the wheels every day with soap and water but even that didn't stop the build up of brake dust in the paint finish. I have also tried using Turtlewax Extreme Wax for alloy wheels. This did slow down the build up but you had to keep applying it every wash to maintain the protection.

I think the wheels are just very poorly painted and lacquered. Probably saves Land Rover £0.01 per wheel by cutting down on the paint.

Post #13025415th Feb 2007 7:17 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

I blame the health & safety and the greens for it. Every since they banned the use of those nasty hydrocarbons from paint and forced large scale manufactures over to water based piments, paint work has suffered. Friend of mine worked for a large chemical company who supplies large amounts of paint to car industry. In the early 90's they were just getting to grips with the new paints and they knew that cars being painted with this stuff were going to rust, peel and pit but it was the only stuff they could use. Wheel paint was a particular problem as the chemistry of the brake linings and the chemistry of water solvable pigments just didn't really work. Things have moved on but the basic problem is still there water soluable paints just are not as good as the hydrocarbon stuff.

Post #13027915th Feb 2007 8:40 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

simonacraig wrote:
It's the area of the alloys which create the flatter more horizontal parts.

I have the 5 spoke 18 inch style 1 alloys and it's the area between each of the spokes. The paint finish is really rough and holds all the brake dust in its pores. That's why I have to use alloy wheel cleaner. Nothing else would get the wheels clean.

I had a similar problem and decided to treat the wheels with Farecla G3 rubbing compond which is used for paintwork. It was a long tedious job and painful on your fingers but at least now the surface of the wheels are very smooth and do not trap brake dust and dirt, especially after using Alloy Wheel Wax.

Post #13028115th Feb 2007 8:49 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just to let you know wife took car to dealer before xmas she got service manager to look at it and ordered replacements straight away.Fitted early january then washed car feb and again noticed all alloys pitted to some degree which is very bad since there just 6 weeks old rang service manager again and will look at it when its serviced shortly.Considering my previous freelanders never had this problem so there must be a problem on production line is it just on style1 18" or does anyone else have problems with other styles?

Post #13037216th Feb 2007 12:46 am
ronk

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Pitted Rims

I've just been out and washed my car and have noticed that my 18" wheels are also looking quite shabby. The rims feel rough and are pitted. They have lost that easy to wash paint finish and I think it fair to assume that they are not going to get better! The car is April 06 and I have given them the old type of turtle wax two or three times but they have deteriorated nevertheless. When I last spoke to my dealer it was "keep an eye on them" I have and I dont like what I see!

I'll keep you posted.

Post #1347402nd Mar 2007 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonacraig

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Pitted Rims

ronk wrote:
I've just been out and washed my car and have noticed that my 18" wheels are also looking quite shabby. The rims feel rough and are pitted. They have lost that easy to wash paint finish and I think it fair to assume that they are not going to get better! The car is April 06 and I have given them the old type of turtle wax two or three times but they have deteriorated nevertheless. When I last spoke to my dealer it was "keep an eye on them" I have and I dont like what I see!

I'll keep you posted.

I am still arguing with Land Rover of the wheels. Have spoken to Trading Standards and they have told me to pursue my claim as the rough finish and pitting of the wheels are abviously defective under the Sale of Goods Act and of inferior quality. Re-written to Brett Phillips Customer Services Manager UK who responded to my previous letter to the MD John Edwards, Land Rover UK. Waiting to hear. Interestingly enough other gliches are coming out of the vehicle.

Tailgate Rattle (latch post now insulated with insulation tape)
Cruise Control cuts out (rotary coupler)
Drivers Seat (rocks under braking and acceleration - electric mechanism slack cables)
Cable loose somewhere in Dashboard (need to take the radio out to get inside)
Rear offside brake light bulb intermittently stops working

Great thanks to Disco3.co.uk. Really useful to find the cures for these faults so you can tell the technicians at the dealership how to fix these problems.
 --------------------------------------------------------
Simon
Discovery 3 - June 2005 TDV6 S AUTO Bonatti Grey
Extras: Bright Pack, Powerfold Mirrors, Tow Pack.
-------------------------------------------------------- 

Post #1348452nd Mar 2007 7:53 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I spent about 4 hours cleaning my Style 1 18" alloys last weekend (first "proper" clean in 2 years).

What I had always thought was pitting / damage to the paint was actually tar specks + brake dust "welded" to the rim.

I tried diesel, petrol, acid wheel cleaner, and finally cracked it with Auto Glym tar spot remover liberally applied with a kitchen foam scourer pad.

As I said, it took a long time, but the results were pretty good.

Followed that with a good coat of wax & the transformation was complete.

It seems that the style 1's with their particularly flat rim are prone to catching road debris. But hey, 4hrs in 2 years ... i can live with that.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #1349303rd Mar 2007 12:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >