I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #82505012th Aug 2011 1:17 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Me too Baben Thumbs Up
Thanks for all the well wishes guys.

Actually the new loo looks pretty stunning HBR.
we are drawing straws as to who should christen it Rolling with laughter

The renovation and preparation of this new premisis has been so extensive that it has seen me spend untold amounts of time, money and effort and caused me back burner so many projects i had going, that i really could not then explain the real reasons for, other than that to say i had other higher priority projects to tend to first.

Once we are finally settled in and sorted, i truly look forward to ressurecting and completing them all Thumbs Up

Post #82630716th Aug 2011 6:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Just an update to our re location progress for anyone interested.

Having moved a few bits, mainly from the Production department prior to our closure on Monday 22nd August, we began the main move on the Monday morning, which i expected to take all week and was very worried we would over run our contractual dead line to be fully out by end of day on Friday latest.

It was not so much what we use on a day to day basis that was the problem, as much as the staggering amount of stuff i have accrued like a magpie over the years. For example all the seats and trim i took out of the D3 during it's upgrade, various sets of wheels & tires for other models along with full trims etc.

One of the hardest things to move was a near new US spec P38 that has no chassis or running gear on it at all.

However despite the blistering heat, being the hottest period of the year here, most of the staff beavered away most commendably and everyone really appreciated the hard work a couple of Moroccan lads (Ibrahiem and Oshone) i took on to help, duly provided.

By some miracle i have yet to figure out, by mid day on Wednesday, everything was gone from the old place except a half used loo roll. We are talking Blinds, aluminum doors and frames, Air condition equipment, network and phone installation equipment, and even the Executive shower from my office.
Well the Boss does have to have some perks you know Rolling with laughter

The sad news is that all this stuff has ended up being literally dumped in the new place as just massive mountainous piles of boxes that fill just about everywhere, such that you can barely move.

Worst is that some aspects of the renovation of the new premises are still not fully completed yet.
I was stunned to discover on Friday that the entire lower floor of the premises had only one working mains socket.

So i have spent most of my weekend ripping out the out dated 1970's style 3 phase main 6 way distribution panel and replacing it with a new up to date 12 way one, to provide not only a much needed update but also the extra circuits we require. This would have been not so hard if it were a like for like replacement, however IEEE standards for wiring have changed dramatically and in such a replacement you can no longer use Red and Black as your wiring colors and have to now use only Brown and Blue. also 3 phase installations no longer use Red, Yellow and Blue but Brown, Black and Grey, and you can no longer use regular circuit breakers as you now need to add Residual Current Detection devices on every circuit.

How do i know all this, simple, i have had to bone up extensively and become fully conversant with the current 17th generation of IEEE wiring requirements, courtesy of Amazon.com, although here in Cyprus they apparently still work by the much out dated 16th edition of the IEEE requirements.

However that's their problem. and i am quite glad to be wiring up our new building and providing me and my staff with nothing but the latest and best there is.

Post #82952828th Aug 2011 5:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Popelka

Czech Republic 

that's a lot of work for just relocating, well done/ good luck; but I dont think you really need it Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #82957228th Aug 2011 8:13 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No requirement for certification then in Cyprus ?

Long gone are the days in the uk where anyone could install electrics especially in a commercial environment. Probably more EU rules that the Brits follow and foreigners ignore.

I remember seeing a building site on the med while on holiday not a hardhat to be seen let alone footware. And we all work to the same rules in the EU Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Pom

Post #82960628th Aug 2011 10:10 pm
Baschurchbill

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Looking forward to placing an order with your good self, but before I do are you going to have some extra special prices for your re-opening? Thumbs Up

Post #82996630th Aug 2011 3:11 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Popelka

Moving is the easy bit near the end, it's the near 6 months of prior renovation and rebuilding that has cost me untold hours of labor.
here are just some of the Raw steel materials i have got through for creating a mezzanine floor and replacing the delapidated out buildings.

100 x 200 MM steel I beam about 50 Metres
100 X 50 X 3mm thick steel Box section about 500 Metres
80 x 40 x 2mm thick steel Box section about 600 Metres
10 MM thick steel plate, about 2 sq metres.
Trapezoidal section, painted steel sheet, 1 meter wide, about 400 Metres

If you count the Galvanized sections for creating internal walls and false ceilings, that would be well over 1000 Metres worth too.

The best wishes and good luck messages are always welcome and appreciated, but at the end of the day it;s just plain old hard work and manual graft that sees you through such a trying thing

Pom
It's much worse than that.
The Electricity authourity here require a qualified electrician (qualified to what standard is still a mystery to me) to submit electrical plans to them before they will fit the 3 phase supply with the requisite 2 x 30 Amp fuses we have now paid them over 1000 Euro for. I have through freinds and contacts now had 2 such "qualified electricians" show up and give their opinions as to what we are doing. One was so incompetant and out of touch i would not trust him to wire up a 3 pin plug, And although the other was better, he clearly had no knowledge of the latest 17th edition standards and the latest technology availaible and now in common use throughout Europe.

To gain "qualified electrician" certification on my totally up to date (rest of Euope wise) installation which uses the latest protection technology of RCBO's on every circuit, i am therforegoing to have to educate this latter guy and try to bring him up to current speed.

Regards Building site mal practice, yea it's also about as bad as you can get here too, with far to many accidents and deaths of foreign workers.

The usual construction here is of rebar filled concrete pillars supporting rebar filled concrete floor levels.

The walls between pillars and floors are typically then filled with brickwork or aluminium framed windows as you wish as they are non
supportive.

Recently on a lower level of our old building a wall 30 feet wide and 15 feet tall was being demolished to be replaced with a window.

However the contactor was having the wall demolition performed bottom up. I guess the poor romainian chaps told to do this were pretty surprised when having removed the lower third of the brick work, that the upper 2 thirds of the wall suddenly fell down in one enormous mass and nearly crushed them as it then fell over their way and broke.

Thank heavens they were quick on their feet and please sir, what's a hard hat?

Baschurchbill
Get serious Rolling with laughter

Despite the trouble and the odds being stacked against us, most of our staff have totally excelled and pulled together as a team to do what is required in possibly the worst possible situation imaginable and as a result, now we are now not only up and running again, but have totally cleared the back log in just one day.

The bottom line is now we are finally re located to our new much bigger and better, self contained premises, we are now able to provide much faster and better than ever service.

And the new environment with the much improved facilities and extra space is already making quite some difference already.

Thanks to all for bearing with us

Warmest Regards

Post #8334529th Sep 2011 6:27 pm
Baschurchbill

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Congratulations on reaching a significant milestone.
Be nice to see some pictures of the transition when you have time to post them?
Cheers
Bill

Post #83407712th Sep 2011 6:48 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Colin, does this mean you will be resurrecting the interface that will allow fitment of the RRS2010 steering wheel and switches to a Pre-2010?

Post #83407912th Sep 2011 6:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >