Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Bye, bye tailgate brake light!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ian62

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Bye, bye tailgate brake light!!!!!

After being away for a while, got back into my Disco and set off towards home, just hit the slip road and got on the power when BANG Censored something hit the rear window.....checked the rear view mirror and just saw the tail gate brake light fall off Evil or Very Mad

I was able to stop the car and recover the tail gate brake light complete and throw it in the back.

The whole thing is now useless, phoned my dealer who said he had never heard of one just falling out, took some photo's and sent them to him, he couldn't believe it!!!!

Although the car is now 4 years old I still want LR to pay for a replacement.....what do you think guys? Has this happened to any one before?
 Stadt Panzer Power  
Post #8226703rd Aug 2011 10:01 am
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

There was someone on here who had theirs fall off too, a couple of years ago I think. Can't remember who though. Either way, I think you'll be lucky to get LR to pay up on a 4 year old vehicle! How long have you owned it - maybe the previous owner did a dodgy repair?
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #8226723rd Aug 2011 10:11 am
Ian62

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've owned the car from new, so a dodgy repair is out of the question.

These things are stuck in and I know from my dealer that if they need to be replaced they have to smash them to get them out!!

LR can not sell cars and have things falling off them....I have never heard of one falling out before from any manufacture..
 Stadt Panzer Power  
Post #8226753rd Aug 2011 10:16 am
dtest

United Kingdom 

Ian62 wrote:

LR can not sell cars and have things falling off them....I have never heard of one falling out before from any manufacture..

Trim falls off all the time....even on new cars.

There are numerous reasons that anything stuck on comes unstuck and in 4 years of life I would imagine anything from jet washing to extreme temperature can cause the glue to fail??

If you can prove why the light fell out and prove it was because of poor manufacture you may have a claim but I doubt it

Good luck Smile

Post #8226763rd Aug 2011 10:22 am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

These things happen. I very much doubt LR will entertain the idea of paying it due to the age of the vehicle, but always worth a phone call though

cheers and good luck
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8232315th Aug 2011 10:30 am
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter have to concur , snowball ... Chance in hell .land rover will Rolling with laughter
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #8232455th Aug 2011 11:11 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine fell off after it had been replaced. The plastic had not been primed prior to the adhesive being applied.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8232495th Aug 2011 11:20 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

They are supposed to be bonded in using the same sealant / adhesive as the front, rear and quarter glass Screens, which is why they are so hard to remove without damaging them.

The bead is usually a couple of MM thick, so normally you can use a hot wire, hot knife or cutting wire on the bead between the harder glass and Car body work to remove them without damage, but as the upper tail gate brake light is Plastic, it's nigh on impossible.

I can understand one that was refitted without the correct adhesive or proper priming or cleaning preparation as seems to be CaverD3's case, but to just have one fall out of a vehicle you have owned from new and so to your knowledge has never been replaced is absurd.

It might be possible the vehicle was delivered to the dealer with a cracked or broken Rear Tailgate light and they incorrectly replaced it before you picked up the vehicle and it has hung on for 4 years.

What is the state of the bead, has the bead itself split, leaving some on both the vehicle body work and the light or has it peeled off clean from either the light or the body?

Post #8233095th Aug 2011 5:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoff.

England 

removed mine today with only a few small cracks but still very servicable Thumbs Up

geoff

Post #8233295th Aug 2011 6:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >