Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Value of AA / RAC Inspection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
d3_col

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Value of AA / RAC Inspection

Getting close to getting myself a D3 (I'm looking for 2006/7 HSE with 40-50k on the the clock) but having read a few of the recent threads I am very keen to avoid buying myself a lemon and months of grief that would come with it. What is the general feeling regarding the value of the RAC/AA inspections? They charge a lot of money (roughly £300) and for that I would hope for a thorough job by someone who was well versed in the potential issues the D3 can suffer from.

(i know that TFC would be the ideal solution but I am the wrong end of the country and need the flexibility around scheduling the check for when I find a suitable car)

Last edited by d3_col on 29th Jul 2011 4:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #82154929th Jul 2011 1:58 pm
mcferran1

Northern Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

I had the AA inspection on a 2008 Disco with 45,000 miles and it worked well. I think it cost £290 with my AA member discount, but it really put my mind at ease. As I am from Ireland I was buying the Disco without having seen it from Blackhorse Car Sales, so it was important to me to have someone check it first. The appointment was made a few hours after I booked online and the appointment was arranged for 1 - 3pm the following day. The guy from the AA rang me about 6pm and went through everything. Basically it was fine apart from a few chips on the bonnet and 1 tyre was near the legal limit. He was reassuring that even though there were a few chips he didn't see it as any reason to put me off. About an hour later the written report was ready.

In my case it was well worth the money, if you see the vehicle and know what to look for maybe not so much, but could still give reassuring peace of mind.

The first Disco I looked I found was being sold by Heathrow Autos who wouldn't allow the AA inspection. That was the end of our conversation.

Post #82157929th Jul 2011 3:51 pm
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ive used them in the past on other cars but id have to question the aa/rac inspecters knowlodge of the D3 totaly different beast rather go for landrover techie if at all poss Whistle

Post #82165129th Jul 2011 8:27 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm not speaking from personal experience here, but I note that both the RAC and the AA charge different prices for different types of car, 4X4's being more expensive as there's more to check. It's a fixed price though. This lends me to believe they have a list of things to check off on a list. Brakes - check, bodywork - check, 4WD - check and so on. I think I'd want to know what specifically was on the list for a D3, and I bet it would be no different than for any other large 4X4.

I also note that they both have a no comeback clause.

For around £300 I would try to get someone knowledgable with D3's to have a look and hopefully one would get a more specific report. Perhaps not from the selling garage though. Wink

Post #8227743rd Aug 2011 4:33 pm
hughes_jh

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mcferran1 wrote:
As I am from Ireland I was buying the Disco without having seen it from Blackhorse Car Sales,

LOL, recurring theme here, I'm from Ballymena and bought my Disco at Blackhorse Car Sales too! They were excellent, can't fault them at all and they gave me a decent price for the BMW I was trading in (only £250 less than I could ever have hoped for selling it private)

Post #8227783rd Aug 2011 4:57 pm
mcferran1

Northern Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

hughes_jh wrote:
mcferran1 wrote:
As I am from Ireland I was buying the Disco without having seen it from Blackhorse Car Sales,

LOL, recurring theme here, I'm from Ballymena and bought my Disco at Blackhorse Car Sales too! They were excellent, can't fault them at all and they gave me a decent price for the BMW I was trading in (only £250 less than I could ever have hoped for selling it private)

Without hijacking this thread, can I ask where you've used / can recommend for servicing in N.I. I had thought about Charles Hurst, but phoned them last week to ask about getting the Ipod module and was told there was no such thing, both by service and parts, I got one from TLO and it's being installed tomorrow, but this has really put me off Hursts.

Post #8231804th Aug 2011 11:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >