Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Access height at 70mph?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Access height at 70mph?

OK, this is puzzling: I have always thought and read that access height will return to normal over about 25mph or so. I also have read the car lowers after 160kph to maintain stability, but without visual notification to the driver...

So yesterday, motorway, wind force 6-7, clearly the D3 was feeling it. Thought I'd try, just in case to manually lower it... an lo an behold, it did, at 70mph!

Click image to enlarge

Now, I know the fact it showed that on the dashboard doesn't necessarily mean it did lower, but when I tried to raise to off-road height, I got the message "speed too high for off-road height" or something like that (just to check there was no problem with the dash or switch), plus when I slowed down for the tolls, the car returned to normal height...

I have now replicated this a further 6 times, all with the same result... so just wondering if I've missed a few posts that say this is what the D3 should do or if mine is somewhat "special"? Laughing
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #81191528th Jun 2011 2:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scoobystiv8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If it had gone in to access height you would have known about it. I had the EAS fail and drop the car to access height at a similar speed on my previous D3 and you certainly new about it.
I think the sign comes on until it can go into access height, not that it has.
 D3 V8 SE AUTO
MG ZS 180 Mk 2
Subaru Impreza STi
Morris Minor 1000 4 door saloon(soon to be the Joker) 

Post #81192628th Jun 2011 3:08 pm
discoBizz

TBH that's what I thought, but the fact it has a different behaviour when trying off-road height got me thinking... plus the fact the symbol goes away when actually slowing down to below 25mph Confused
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #81192728th Jun 2011 3:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

My D3 will do this too - but on for about a minute then it seems to return to normal height

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #81196228th Jun 2011 4:36 pm
discoBizz

It seemed to be going like this for a good few minutes in my case... Only when I slowed did the symbol go... Confused
Post #81197228th Jun 2011 4:49 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The WSM says it will wait 1 minute before cancelling the request if the speed is too high.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #81207028th Jun 2011 9:12 pm
discoBizz

So that may explain it then (though I could have sworn it was displaying access height for over a minute Confused )

At high crosswinds then, one just has to bite the bullet and live with the height? The companion car which was behind me called to see I wasn't drunk - the wobbling was that noticeable Shocked

No faults or errors before anyone asks, suspension in good order (touch wood!!!)
Post #8145156th Jul 2011 5:32 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If your speed is too high, the dash will display the access height symbol, but the lights on the selector will be flashing. If you decelerate to below the speed threshold, it will then lower to access height. If you do not decelerate below the threshold, it cancels the access height selection after 1 minute.

Its a feature that for example would be useful if you had a low garage that needed access height, instead of having to slow to below the threshold and select AH, you can just select it within 1 minute of home, and know that it will lower as you approach your house. Thumbs Up

Post #8146326th Jul 2011 10:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >