Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Something's gone wrong!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dom Harvey wrote:
DND3 and dylansdad, why don't you guys join forces because you both seem to be having a lot of trouble with dealerships Wink

thanks for suggestion dom .... we are on parallel paths maybe but Im hoping mine will be sorted by common sense and consumer law. dealer has attempted to diagnose and repair a number of my faults about 12 times minimum. they also try to defend themselves with a no fault found diagnosis on others, however, Im clear now on my rights and will pursue accordingly.

Id simple advise dnd3 to do same, letters are critical. after sending first and getting no reply engage trading standards and then get legal support.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8777323rd Sep 2006 11:46 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Some members on here have access to all the faults known by LR, it pays to go to the dealership with these print outs in your hands, you'll be amazed how their attitude changes Wink
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #8777423rd Sep 2006 11:50 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DND3 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Simon, just to put you in the picture, I wouldn't say these are city dealerships, I did try to get a balanced opinion. and I'm going to name them, Stratstone High Wycombe (supplying dealer), H.R. Owen, W.London, T.H. White, Swindon, yes I drove 72 flaming miles each way, and left it there for 2 days, for a 3rd opinion, and they wouldn't deal with the issues because they said the supplying dealership looked at some issues before.(many months before ,when the vehicle was new in fact).Absolute BULLS**T I reckon, don,t you? Smile

If thats what happened then yes agree. I also find it strange a dealer who is paid to do warranty work on any vehicle would refuse to do the work or look at the vehicle.

Post #8777623rd Sep 2006 11:52 pm
simon

I'm sorry but if you get report form another dealer conforming your issues this would make your case stronger when proving your existing dealer is not performing.

Who is the dealer ? We have named and shamed the bad ones along with praising the good ones.

Tell them you'll let 1400 plus LR owners know how bad they are if they don't sort yours out.

Post #8777923rd Sep 2006 11:56 pm
simon

Dom Harvey wrote:
Some members on here have access to all the faults known by LR, it pays to go to the dealership with these print outs in your hands, you'll be amazed how their attitude changes Wink

Exactly why I suggest you detail all your issue with us publicly or via PM to one you choose.

Post #8778023rd Sep 2006 11:59 pm
dylansdad

re dealer.... already done that on here.

re list of problems... already done that... even paid for access myself for a month to try and help dealer along.

yes going to another dealer may be one way of getting help identifying problems, however as dnd has experienced dealers do close ranks and talk to eachother.... Ive been advised independant engineer is best way forward at the correct time. Given number of attempts at repair, only 14 months warranty left and time passed I am pursuing replacement. (as advised)
Post #8778224th Sep 2006 12:39 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks simon,dg,dd and Dom, for your suggestions, perhaps I should arrange a comparison with one of your D3's sometime , just to check that I'm not hearing things, but I do believe that my D3 has a lot of vibration felt through the steering wheel,body and pedals, and the engine is really not what I would describe as, 'refined', and possessing 'monastic quietness' as L/R do.The vehicle did not exhibit these problems in the first few days. Therefore I really do have a problem accepting these things are normal. Confused Note, these things are in addition to other issues like,premature /uneven tyre wear and defects in paintwork etc already mentioned by others.

Last edited by DN on 24th Sep 2006 1:00 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8778324th Sep 2006 12:42 am
dylansdad

I would certainly have said mine (engine) was monastically refined and quiet ........up untill the update. Rolling Eyes fix a number of issues but create more... sort of normal for software patche I know Laughing

transmission/road noise issues however became noticable at about 12000 miles, dealer finaly identified they reason as casseleated tyres... once vehicle got to 24K miles, but its still there and now they say 'theres nothing wrong' yet they could hear it when they had a simple thing to fix (tyres)... now they deny it exists Rolling Eyes
Post #8778424th Sep 2006 12:46 am
sst

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well this has turned out to be quite some topic !!

My dealer is Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton. To date they have been very good, so let's hope they don't claim that there is nothing wrong - there definitely is, and for the first 9000 miles it was much smoother and quieter.

DND3 and DylansDad - I will keep you posted on how I get on with the dealership.

Regards,
 Si

TDV6 S Auto 2006 Silver, Privacy Glass, Integrated Phone 

Post #8784324th Sep 2006 11:08 am
simon

What tyres are you running ?

The Wrangler's WILL become stepped as you say. Mine have twice now [D3] and have always done so on three Freelander's I've owned too.

New set of tyres will quieten down the ride until they start stepping again.

Seems to be a 'feature' of the LR / Wrangler mix and has been commented on many times on the forum over the last nearly 2 years.

Post #8784724th Sep 2006 11:13 am
dylansdad

stepped/casselated.... its a symptom of an underlying technical issue. I remember someone on here posting something about a transmission? issue with Freelander that caused this problem on their tyres. Im not willing to accept the tyres should wear like that normally. It doesnt happen to all D3s Wranglers or not. Of coure we are now assuming the current noise problem is caused by re-occurence of the tyre wear issue, which I cannot say at this point.
Post #8785224th Sep 2006 11:42 am
sst

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I wouldn't say that my problems are related to the tyres.

I am running on the original Pirelli Scorpions, tyre wear is even and there is no obvious damage anywhere on the tyres such as castellation.

My only concern with the tyres is that after only 9500 miles the fronts are only just legal! Most of my driving is on the motorway and my D2 would go 45k miles on a set of tyres. To have to replace two tyres after less than 10k is appalling!!!
 Si

TDV6 S Auto 2006 Silver, Privacy Glass, Integrated Phone 

Post #8785524th Sep 2006 11:50 am
simon

Yes it was me that posted ref the Freelander issue. I had an IRD replaced as the unit caused excessive wear. A design fault and was 'fixed' with the modified part.

Rears were the ones that wore in that fashion the most. Same on the D3.

D3's wear no where near as bad as that on the Freelander even with the new IRD fitted.

They still step but take far far longer to do so.

Many have reported stepped wear on Wrangler's... D3's and Freelander.

It is the tyre tread pattern mixed with the 4x4 system LR use that causes the 'issue'

Takes a good 20K plus miles to start to appear too.

So are you wearing Wrangler rubber or not ?

Post #8785624th Sep 2006 11:50 am
dylansdad

yes wranglers on mine... only done 10k on them, just to clarify... when you mean stepped wwearing pattern what exactly are you reffering to.
Post #8789024th Sep 2006 1:37 pm
simon

Look at each tread pattern block (hard to describe) and you'll notice they are worn at an angle... this causes the road noise.

Post #8791824th Sep 2006 4:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >