35%
 35%  [17]
I think its softer than before
2%
 2%  [1]
Total Votes: 48

lr1

United Kingdom 

My dealer said they would upload the enhancement software when my car was in for a replacement coolant sensor.

I said, do not, leave well alone. I get 29-33mph average, ride is good enough to throw the car about in the corners, I do not suffer from turbo lag.

I am concerned that post enhancement my car would be worse even though my car is a early 05 model.

Post #8815725th Sep 2006 11:45 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think, that like my car, yours has probably already got the update long ago.

Post #8816025th Sep 2006 11:48 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Most have if they've been in for service or work. Only thing that would not have been unless there was a fault - is the compressor mod.

Of course this is dealer dependant... some will upgrade regularly, some won't.

Post #8816125th Sep 2006 11:51 am
Laura

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Poll is very interesting. So far 57% notice more firmness. Interestingly my dealer today has been told by Landrover technical department that nothing in the enhancement would change the suspension in anyway or change the ride. Can this be? ?

Post #8829025th Sep 2006 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The enhancement does include "upgrade to ride level control module software" which would suggest a change to the ride is possible Confused
 The End  
Post #8829225th Sep 2006 6:35 pm
Laura

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks for that. I know the car is feeling different but I don't know if it is the enhancement or something else they have done. They also changed the compressor valves? Does this make a difference?

Post #8830625th Sep 2006 7:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kernow

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

The enhancements for my '06 were done recently - my chassis no. is such that I had the engine etc. mods done, but no change to the suspension. I had two E39 BMW 5-series before the D3 (both of which needed major work under warranty - new head gasket on the first, and 2 new clutches on the second - so D3 reliability is not so bad) which were (are) superb at low speeds on poor surfaces. I find the D3 a bit 'jiggly', but at motorway speeds I find it is as smooth as, and frankly, more enjoyable in today's traffic than the 5-series on long journeys. 30+ mpg too.
However, I'll keep the suspension as it is. Last week I had a classic near-miss. Changing from outside lane to middle lane to leave the motorway - paying too much attention to where I was heading for, and only saw the outside lane stop dead at the last second. By this time, someone from the inside lane had started to fill the slot I was aiming for. In my mind, I heard the bang, but the wonderful beast zig-zagged through without a murmer - no DSC or panic. Fantastic!

Post #8861726th Sep 2006 4:34 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Kernow wrote:
I had two E39 BMW 5-series before the D3 (both of which needed major work under warranty - new head gasket on the first, and 2 new clutches on the second - so D3 reliability is not so bad)

Welcome. You're going to be very popular on this site! Very Happy
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #8862426th Sep 2006 5:22 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just a thought (I don't have many so I want to share it before the moment passes Rolling Eyes ) The apparent variance in suspension pre and post enhancement is possibly down to the compressor valves or compressor being replaced and now operating correctly, whereas those with defective valves won't have noticed the gradual deteriation in suspension performance, the sudden increase back to specification after the enhancement will make it feel firmer... Those of us that have had issues dealt with as they appear on GTR are less likely to notice any difference, as are those who rarely use the suspension for height changes - does any of that make sense? Confused

Post #8867726th Sep 2006 8:13 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine was a purely software 'enhancement'. Puter said that was all that was required on my car.
Suspension is definately harder, and I quite like it Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #8868026th Sep 2006 8:19 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My car was new at the end of April, so I would assume that I had no bad suspension components. Had the enhancements a few weeks ago and now it is very much stiffer. It handles better on fast cornering, but is too harsh on the bumps and too much is coming through into the cabin.
 Matt  
Post #8868326th Sep 2006 8:32 pm
10forcash

Matt, it entirely depends upon compressor part number as to whether the valves were replaced, given that part of the SW change is to lower the pressure in the receiver in order to reduce the compressor duty cycle, it's difficult to understand how this translates into harder suspension - not that i'm doubting that it is, just trying to understand how it's come about in some cases and not all Confused

Post #8868926th Sep 2006 8:45 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

could it be newer compressors are more powerfull/responsive than old?

if the new mapping was designed to compensate for 'slower' older ones, maybe on a new compressor = firmer ride? Confused

I cant imagine the S/w can tell which compressor you have and adjust itself accordingly? can it?
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8869226th Sep 2006 8:48 pm
10forcash

No, the new mapping is only done in conjunction with a compressor change or fitting of the replacement valve kit, so the output should be similar if not identical. the reaction of the compressor should not impact upon the suspension as it charges the air receiver, which in turn supplies air to the suspension components. The system pressure has been lowered to reduce the runtime of the compressor, it is not the absolute pressure but the volume of air that provides ther ide height adjustment (although pressure does come into it) I suspect the difference is somehow related to the control of the shuttle valves (non LR term Wink ) which determine where and when the air is moved around, controlled in the main by the height sensors (via the control logic)

Post #8869926th Sep 2006 8:57 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

so if you have a new compressor fitted the s/w is applied? or if you have a valve change the software is updated?

so isnt that saying all are having software updated? Confused

there must be some difference like you say. if you like it or not the majority of people think the change has made ride harder.

The obvious thing would be to assume that the two different setups (new compressor vs new valve) must give slightly different characteristics.

(ps. sorry if im not using the correct terms, was thinking pressure as a larger/faster volume of air pushed through the same diameter tube = increased pressure - when I was told the new compressor was an 'uprated' one I assumed this means it can pump air faster therefor cope with the demands placed on it.)
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8871026th Sep 2006 9:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >