DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Integrated Aftermarket Nav in D3 using D4 GS Surround
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 19 <123 ... 141516 171819>
Caltrigger

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Bullhead wrote:
Hi Andy,

After looking at all the GPS devices out there, I personally went for the Garmin LMT 1490 because the screen was a near perfect fit for the surround. The only draw back with this GPS was the screen surround which prevented th GPS from sitting flush with the D4 surround. I solved this by taking the GPS apart and removing the surround. There's a video on YouTube that explains how to do this.

I also purchased the Garmin Eco Route which plugs into the obd port and gives you gauges and diagnostic info, it's pretty cool. It connects to the gps via Bluetooth and tucks nicely out the way.

D4 Surround obviously.

And a trip to the local hardware store for a couple of 90deg brackets etc so that you can hold the gps to the surround. This was the most difficult part, finding the right screws, etc. In the end, i just took the D4 surround with me to the store and ended up building the backing plate in store.

As for reception, no issue. I also have traffic with my Garmin and the receiver is tucked behind the cd player somewhere, it's not sitting on the shelf where the Garmin would be, and it works perfectly too.

Hope that helps.

Can someone point me in the direction of the youtube video discussed above please? This is a great thread, ordering my surround and Garmin to fit next week... Thanks guys
 "If you want to go fast, go alone...If you want to go far...Go together!"  
Post #94550422nd Jun 2012 11:19 am
indi

Singapore 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Has anyone considered Garmin 2575R? R=recorder. its a plug-on from Garmin GDR-10 and also accepts Eco-route.

Post #9511876th Jul 2012 4:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I am in the middle of doing this right now, but wondered if it was worthwhile fitting the traffic reciever GTM 35 at the same time. Are there many advantages ? what is the UK coverage like ? is it worth paying £50 for ? Thumbs Up

Post #96472811th Aug 2012 11:43 am
dsj1979

Mine came with it free. Are you sure yours doesn't? Would I pay £50? I'd say no.... but then the other day when M25 was at its usual after an accident, the Garmin took me through London, missed all traffic and easy journey.... days like that I'd say yes! Smile

Post #96476211th Aug 2012 2:51 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Mine is the 2595LM so did not come with the traffic receiver. That's what I wondered, if it was really more beneficial in large cities and major motorways like the M25 etc. Thumbs Up

Post #96480811th Aug 2012 5:37 pm
dsj1979

It's useful, but for busy motorways likely to have delays. That's the only time it'll really come in handy.

Post #96483711th Aug 2012 7:54 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Traffic is Brill & very good at letting you know in advance and alternative ways mine also comes with European traffic as well.It's quite funny seeing all the colours changing on the screen to how long the delay is Thumbs Up

Post #96486411th Aug 2012 9:37 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I think I will pass on the traffic for now and save £50 Thumbs Up

I have just finished doing my sat-nav and it looks great. I was a bit concerned about how tightly it fits in though, with regards to getting it out again for map updates etc as there was nowhere to get a grip of it, once in place.

I therefore made a small modification to the back, fitting small split pins and then putting a small cable tie round the pin and sticking out the front of the surround. The cable ties are very thin and the rubber mat covers them completely. This way I can get a hold of the ends of the cable ties and pull, which eases the bottom out, job done.

Post #96540613th Aug 2012 3:02 pm
pa28pilot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Centre H Trim

Has anyone got yhe instruction or link showing how to remove the centre H trim. Thinking of doing the same with mine after purchasing sat nav and dont want to knacker the plastics.
Going to see if ican machine a border once Ive got the dimensions of the sat nav.
Cheers
Thumbs Up
 Don't be blinkered vision, see the world in colour.  
Post #96556113th Aug 2012 9:48 pm
race.it

Spain 

Grab at the bottom
And pull

Its unnerving first time and gets simpler the amount you remove it

Post #96557013th Aug 2012 10:09 pm
frk79

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi just saw your pics about the sat nav you installed
one of the pics you have a switch in the glove box with two holes and a usb port
can you tell me what they are for
just that i have these in my disco and i dont know what its for
can you help before i post in forum cheers

Post #96575714th Aug 2012 3:20 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Hi mate, you have the audio connectivity module.

1. You can load a memory stick with albums (but not iTunes) and it will play when you select aux. you can use steering wheel buttons to scroll through tracks
2. You can plug in 2 phono? Leads to the two holes with whatever equipment you want on the end of the leads.
3. You should have an iPod cradle or iPod 13 pin cable somewhere in the dash area and this will also allow use of steering wheel buttons.

NB there is a switch in the area of the USB, this changes he source to either the USB/phono bit or the iPod iPhone cradle.

Hope that helps - your cradle and/or 13 pin connector may have been removed as you do not mention it.

They ALL give a better quality sound to the regular aux input in the back of the centre console.
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #96576514th Aug 2012 3:46 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
one of the pics you have a switch in the glove box with two holes and a usb port

I fitted an illuminated switch in the top glove box purely as a way to isolate the power to the sat nav if needed. Thumbs Up

Post #96604315th Aug 2012 11:27 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice job Kenny Very Happy

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #96609615th Aug 2012 1:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Hi Mick, its really neat when fitted and looks just like a factory fit, thanks to Dave for coming up with the idea Thumbs Up

I went for this as I gave up with the new TomTom start 60 I bought. The first one crashed when I went to update the map and as a result, lost the map completely. Despite spending literally hours on the phone with TomTom CS and installing and uninstalling their software 11 times !!! Evil or Very Mad they conceded there was something wrong with the device and sent me a pre-paid box to return it to them.

I managed to get Halfords to exchange it for me, but despite TomTom saying they would speak to Halfords they never did so I had to sort it out myself. I got the replacement and the next morning TomTom called and said that I MUST connect to the computer to register the device otherwise all sorts of problems would occur. Shocked

I told her I did not want to connect to the computer given the problems I had with the last one, but she assured me there was a problem at their end that the engineers had now sorted and all would be OK. I connected it up and it once again, it began to automatically download a huge file which took 1 1/2 hrs to download. When it went to install, it crashed again and lost the map. Evil or Very Mad

By this stage I was not a happy chappy and took it back to Halfords where I exchanged it for the Garmin. Whilst I was there the guy told me that they were having HUGE problems with TomTom and it was rumoured they were going to pull out of the stand alone market to concentrate on the built-in side of the business.

I have to say the TomTom customer service was simply appalling. The amount of times they promised to phone me back once the download was complete, then e-mailed to say they couldn't as they were too busy was ridiculous. I sent an email asking for a manager to contact me, or allocate some time to a CS to sort this out. I received a reply to this email 6 days later saying it has been escalated to a manager who would contact me ASAP, that was last Tuesday Shocked The complete lack of interest from their CS support was unbelievable, they simply are not interested. BE WARNED Whistle

Post #96611115th Aug 2012 1:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 15 of 19 <123 ... 141516 171819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >