DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

In-Car PC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
StarBuck

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
In-Car PC

Hey, Folks,

Kinda in relation to one of the questions that appeared on here a couple of days ago, I'm thinking about fitting a PC to my Discovery.

I figure that using someone like Prestige Auto to actually do all the "Pretty" bits of the install (making surrounds for the monitor and the like), and using my software and art production skills, I should be able to do it quite well.

What I'd hope to achieve from this is the following:

> DVD Movies
> HD Music Library
> TV
> Navigation
> Reversing Camera

I'll be posting my progress on here as I go, and the following is what I consider to be the biggest challenges of this endevour:

1) Power - I don't want to have anything to do with the PC other than to turn my ignition key. This means the power needs to be hard-wired to the car.
2) Boot time - I need to explore the possibility of using Windows CE or something similar to cut down boot-time. I don't wanna be waiting for 5 minutes whenever I start the car.
3) DVD location - the only thing I'm actually going to have to do with the computer at all. I'd like the "slot" on show, so it looks as OEM as possible, so I need to think of an elegant solution.

So, a little more specifically than before - I need to find out how to take the dashboard apart so I can assess the space situation. I *could* do this by trial and error, but I hate it when you break tabs and the like and you have those infernal rattles that just *get to you* all the time, so I'd sooner go into this armed with all the information I need.

Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Anyone have anything they'd like to add, or share their experiences of similar efforts with me?

If there is enough interest, once I've actually started on this, I can post pictures and write-ups of my work to date. This may take a while, as I really want to make sure there are no compromises with this, so bear with me! Smile

Post #8523613th Sep 2006 1:15 pm
SN

See 10forcash's gallery Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #8524013th Sep 2006 1:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tony bennett

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Forgive my being ignorant to the chap, but there is a member (in NI) who has already done similar and stripped down the dash and fitted a computer and everything.
Unfortunatly, i have forgotten his name sountil he comes along and "reveals himself" I can help no futher.
 regards
tony
05 "Battlestar Galactica"
In 7 years ownership
09/13 New Battery (I did that)
11/13 new alternator. (I did that)
2 x EGR Blanked. (I did that ) 

Post #8524113th Sep 2006 1:24 pm
StarBuck

Nah - I saw 10forcash's in-car PC, and whilst it's certainly very cool, it's not what I'm hoping to do, as it really IS a PC in a car!

I'm hoping to actually create an in-car entertainment system based on a PC (or a Mac-Mini?) so I'll never have to use a keyboard at all - it'll all be done with a 7" touch screen monitor that I plan to build into the position where the Sat-Nav screen sits in more expensive Discos! Smile

I plan to put the "brains" of the system in the boot, and have a DVD drive slot on the dash, with the monitor built into the Sat-Nav hole. The system will boot when I turn the car on, and shut down when I turn the car off. Everything will be selected with on-screen buttons, and it'd be difficult to tell this was actually a PC.

That's kinda the aim - still need to know about the space behind the dash, boys! Smile

Post #8525013th Sep 2006 1:33 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you can make it to the pub meet next week I can show you how to strip down your dash in one easy lesson Wink

Christyler is the man in NI I think you mean Tony, but he has a commercial D3 so lots of room where the second row seats would have been to fit stuff

TFCs is a very neat install
 The End  
Post #8525313th Sep 2006 1:35 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yer, it's ChrisTyler...
album is here http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=445
My installation is for a specific need (detailed navigation) and isn't the all round infotainment system you propose... additionally, I can move everything to another vehicle in about twenty minutes if the need arises which was a consideration for me

The base unit does boot up and shut down with the vehicle though, boot time is about 15 seconds Wink

Post #8525713th Sep 2006 1:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StarBuck

Yup - seems like Chris is on the money for the install! Smile

So - first stop is gonna be buying and modifying a touch-screen to remove all the control gubbins so I can mount it in the space for the OEM one.

Soldering irons at the ready! Smile

Looks like there is LOADS of space behind there, though, which is REALLY good news! Smile

Post #8526713th Sep 2006 1:46 pm
jacob

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

hello starbuck,

have a look on foll: www.xenarc.com

u will find everything u need Wink

cheers
jacob

Post #8528413th Sep 2006 2:37 pm
StarBuck

10forcash wrote:

The base unit does boot up and shut down with the vehicle though, boot time is about 15 seconds Wink

How did you manage that, then?

Post #8529313th Sep 2006 3:06 pm
10forcash

Running XP, disabled all non-essential services and with a motherboard that has a seperate 'ignition on' sensing input, although i've fed it from the back of tha aux socket, you could use the supply from the back of the IHU (or the nav screen if the wiring is there) that is energised when the vehicle is unlocked...
http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/549

Post #8529513th Sep 2006 3:13 pm
catweasel

Slimer wrote:
I can show you how to strip down your dash in one easy lesson Wink
on that note, how does the plastic come away from under the steering wheel. need to make a bracket for a brake controller  
Post #8529713th Sep 2006 3:15 pm
10forcash

CW, pull down from the top edge, there's two locating lugs at the bottom

Post #8529813th Sep 2006 3:17 pm
catweasel

cheers, will go and try

Post #8529913th Sep 2006 3:19 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

christyler and alinton have both got similar car pc installs. And they live in Ireland btw. Wink
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #8544013th Sep 2006 10:56 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Have you considered using WEPOS? (a version of Windows XP Embedded for point of service)

It is a very cut down version of XP which we are now using in our latest Electronic Point of Sale systems. The benefit we have found is that we can accomodate the entire OS and our touch screen epos application on a 1gb flash memory card.

Boot time is very quick, and using flash memory instead of hard disk takes less space, is very quiet and cool running. Seems very reliable to.

I don't know if you would want to store large amounts of data on your system though, if you did then that would scupper the flash ram idea.

Post #8545013th Sep 2006 11:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >