Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

TdV6 Fuel Consumption
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
TdV6 Fuel Consumption

Post my TdV6 Enhancement I have been getting fuel consumption of up to 17.8 l/100 kms (16 mpg) around town. Living in Brisbane, Australia the traffic is pretty light so one would expect reasonable consumption. A steady 100 km/hr (60 mph) gives around 14 l/100 kms (20-21 mpg). I think this is appalling for a diesel, and my dealer simply says that this is typical and denies that there could be anything wrong with the engine. Before enhancement I was getting 14 l/100kms (20 mpg) around town and 11 l/100kms (25mpg)on the highway. Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in fuel consumption since their vehicle was enhanced? It is also very noisy on cold start-up with a very loud whooshing noise for the first 20 seconds, not sure if this is related to the fuel consumption but I don't remember this sound when I first bought the car.
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #8440911th Sep 2006 9:23 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My fuel consumption has deteriorated since enhancement, but not as bad as you got down to 8.5 on a freeway strech before enhancement now 11.5
The average given at sale is 10.9 so yours cannot be giving the fuel consumption quoted at sale. Mine goes to dealer and I will be asking about it. No whhosh on cold start but had failed to start until fourth try on cols morning and shudders on start up at other times.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8441411th Sep 2006 9:41 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

G'day guys, initially after enhancement,mine showed 31 mpg on the display, but after 100 miles or so settled back down to around the 27mpg again,which is where it was before. Calculating it the more accurate way ie, tank full, to tank full and logging mileage mine is doing 25 to the gallon, but this is mainly town / urban driving, not much on motorways. On long motorway runs it is doing more like 28mpg, which I am happy with, considering its size and weight. I haven't converted your ltr/100km figures, so I don't know how this compares. The whooshing noise from cold start up I think is the viscous fan driving at first, until it senses that its cold and doesn't need to drive fan as directly, so then it quietens. My engine, like most diesels is noisier when cold than when fully warmed up, this is probably normal, but if you are concerned, get dealer to listen to it on cold start up. Rgds. Smile

Post #8442311th Sep 2006 10:24 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

g/day chaps
just had my enhancement done on thursday
now the thing is a lot noisier when at cold idle
and the engine continues on for a few seconds after
throttle is released when it cold. it does seem slightly
more responsive now though
i havent done a fuel reading yet
all in all a waste of time

Post #8443411th Sep 2006 11:04 am
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
TdV6 Fuel Consumption

pre enhancement, around town in Brisbane, I have been doing at 12.2 l per 100kms.

that is off the display. But as against tank fill and mileage it was 13.3 l per 100 kms.

I tend to push it doing around town, heavy accelerating, etc.

The average speed been at 45ks per screen, when you consider I drive home in peak hour traffic of 16ks distance, and there no highway travel involved gives an idea of the average you get.

That has been consistent for the last couple of months.

on highway it goes down to an average of 8 to 10 l per 100ks.

It just today had the 12,000k service.

The acceleration does not appeared to change.

I have not experienced a cold start, so can not comment what the others have reported.

It appears to be running smoother and quieter.

I will wait and see.

Terry

Post #8446911th Sep 2006 12:40 pm
Jamo

Australia 

jpi3418, I reckon that that's too high. Unless you're a real lead foot.

I've been getting between 13 and 15.5l/100km and that's with the roofrack and rooftop tent on top!

Without anything on the roof, it should be lower.

I had a few minor niggles after the enhancement, such as my drivers seat controls taking on a mind of their own. When I went back two weeks later to have the CV boot replaced, the tech dude re-installed the enhancement for me and all's been well since.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8448611th Sep 2006 1:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I am around 12.5L myself and that is over quite a lot of kilometres and in and around Paris...

After enhancement, the consumption seems lower... Not by much, but still !

Something must wrong in your case...
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #8452811th Sep 2006 3:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Pre enhancement, mine was showing 24.6 mpg.
Post enhancement, it shows 27.5mpg and that's over 3000 miles covering all types of driving...

Post #8454311th Sep 2006 4:05 pm
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

On my new D3 (2 weeks old) I am doing around 11-12 l/100km on a combination of city and highway driving. At least this is what the trip computer says, I did not yet calculate it by filling it up and recording the km's. But I am quite happy with these figures Smile
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #8454811th Sep 2006 4:15 pm
jpi3418

Re: TdV6 Fuel Consumption

trm wrote:
pre enhancement, around town in Brisbane, I have been doing at 12.2 l per 100kms.

that is off the display. But as against tank fill and mileage it was 13.3 l per 100 kms.

I tend to push it doing around town, heavy accelerating, etc.

The average speed been at 45ks per screen, when you consider I drive home in peak hour traffic of 16ks distance, and there no highway travel involved gives an idea of the average you get.

That has been consistent for the last couple of months.

on highway it goes down to an average of 8 to 10 l per 100ks.

It just today had the 12,000k service.

The acceleration does not appeared to change.

I have not experienced a cold start, so can not comment what the others have reported.

It appears to be running smoother and quieter.

I will wait and see.

Terry

Terry,
Does Austral LR in the Valley service your D3? I have found them to be very casual in their approach to problems, and they most often brush them off as typical of the model. I suffered total power loss on the motorway and narrowly avoided an accident with a semi, but Austral didn't really seem bothered by this. I suspect they've been hardened by years of dealing with LR quality issues so don't take them seriously anymore.

Regards the cold starting, you will be experiencing the same weather conditions as I am, so I would expect a similar experience. When my D3 has been sitting for a few hours or overnight, its very sluggish and noisy on take-off, with this sound like the fans are going hell for leather.

I have never seen better than 11 l/100kms, and that was just after I bought the car. Since then it has got progressively worse with each software update. i suspected that LR were increasing the torque to overcome the turbo-lag by dumping more fuel into the engine at lower revs, but it seems that my car is worse than anyone else I have spoken to. Do you experience turbo-lag problems at all? For me its worst when I slow down for a round-about or give way sign, come almost to a stop then accelerate again and find there's nothing there and the car is in the wrong gear, so it changes down, and the boost comes in but way too late, a bit like the turbos in the 80's that were all or nothing. Austral says thats just the way the car is, but I can't believe it would have got all those glowing road tests if it were so. I'm contemplating getting it tested by a third party to see if my problems can be validated so Austral might take me seriously. Know anyone?
Cheers
John

Post #8468812th Sep 2006 1:47 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

jpi3418,

Your symptoms are almost identical to mine, as are the fuel consumption figures. The dealer has had it back twice to look at the consumption specifically, but can't find anything wrong. I suspect that they are only checking the software for logged faults.

Irrespective of the software reporting, there _is_ something wrong. 17.2l/100km (which is around 16MPG) is pretty poor. I suspect the turbo, but is there any way something could be wrong and not logged to the software?

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #8468912th Sep 2006 2:02 am
jpi3418

Gordon,
I am sure there are faults that are not logged in the system, e.g. the total power loss I experienced which was apparently due to a disagreement between the airflow sensor and some other sensor that resulted in the ECU shutting down, like a PC crashing. As soon as I restarted the engine the fault was gone with no evidence of it having ever happened. I read on this site that lots of drivers in the UK had experienced the same thing and had their turbos replaced. LR Australia denied the problem existed and I haven't had it happen since. However this fuel issue is really bugging me, especially when I read that everyone else is seeing sub 10 l/100kms on the highway, and 11-12 l/100 kms around town. My dealer says its the driving style but my wife drives the D3 most of the time and she is quite gentle with it. I'm tempted to print off the emails and show them to the dealer to prove that other drivers are getting better consumption. Auto Express tested the D3 in the UK with the following results:

<Auto>

(Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE)

URBAN:

Auto Express = 17.8mpg
Official Figures = 21.4mpg

EXTRA-URBAN:

Auto Express = 25.6mpg
Official Figures = 32.3mpg

COMBINED:

Auto Express = 24.2mpg
Official Figures = 27.2

ANNUAL FUEL COST:

Auto Express = £3, 622
Official Figures = £3,222

There's a thread in the Issues section on TdV6 fuel consumption too http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic99.html and it seems that some of us are afflicted by worse fuel consumption than others, with no apparent reason for it. LR don't acknowledge the problem exists though. Might wait for the 3.6l TdV8 to appear in the Disco and trade up to that, I think the bigger engine might cope better with the weight.

Post #8470412th Sep 2006 6:10 am
caverD3

jpi3418 wrote:
<Auto>

(Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE)

URBAN:

Auto Express = 17.8mpg (15.9 l/100km)
Official Figures = 21.4mpg (13.2 l/100km)

EXTRA-URBAN:

Auto Express = 25.6mpg (11.03 l/100km)
Official Figures = 32.3mpg (8.75 l/100km)

COMBINED:

Auto Express = 24.2mpg (11.67 l/100km)
Official Figures = 27.2 (10.39 l/100km)

ANNUAL FUEL COST:

Auto Express = £3, 622
Official Figures = £3,222

just added converted figures Smile
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8470912th Sep 2006 6:38 am
caverD3

here's a convertion site
http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/fuelco...rsion.htm#
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #8471012th Sep 2006 6:39 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

jpi3418,

The pre and post fuel consumption is very poor compared to my TDV6.

I have not had my enhancement yet (due in a couple of weeks). My fule records at present are: 31,955km using 3804.61lt which is 11.9lt/100km.

This calculation is combined city. highway and 4WDing. Generally around town (peak hour stuff) I get 11-12lt/100km consistently. I expect the post enhancement to be no worse than this.

I reckon you have a problem that needs to be fixed. I assume you are driving no different post enhancement.

The wooshing noise sounds like the viscous coupling on the engine fan. When the engine has been sitting overnight it should not engage. Maybe you have a fault with this.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #8471312th Sep 2006 8:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >