Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

TdV6 Fuel Consumption
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The wooshing is 'standard', seems to be temperature dependant presumably as the viscous fan sorts itself out when you start the engine. Many D3s have an early morning 'roar'
 The End  
Post #8471512th Sep 2006 8:07 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My D3 roars when cold as well for 10 - 20 seconds depending on RPM. Both my previous TD5s did it too, so it's perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #8475712th Sep 2006 11:08 am
csory

Hungary 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I got 10.5 l/100km as minimum (highway cruising at 120 kmh), 11.7 as average in and around-town (medium to light traffic, daily commuting 2x25km), and 15 as absolute maximum (insanely pushing on four-lanes at 160..180kmh). Mine is pre-enh, 11000km in the clock. Previous car (2.5 tdi WV) was about 0.7l less in average.
 TDV6 HSE Java Black, auto, difflock, fridge, winter, 7-seater, PDC, privacy, AHL, sunroof - 3rd row fixed Smile   
Post #8495712th Sep 2006 8:02 pm
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

jpi3418,

I gave Austral Valley 3 goes for my business, but the lack of customer service almost drove me away from the decision to buy.

I went to Austral Southside, it had just opened, and again there was an improvement, but nothing I would expect to get for spending $91k.

I wanted the Disco, have no regretted in pushing on with the decision, notwithstanding the sloppy after market service.

The southside service center is ok, 4 out of 10. Again, they could do better, in customer service.

Leigh, used Gold Coast because of his experience of Austral, and has had some better results.

I still have turbo lag, and are aware of it, it not changed to any great degree.

I am waiting for Chris from LR Tunning to come back up here from Melbourne to have him perform his magic. I think this is the only way to get better fuel economy, power, and remove that slow acceleration.

Cold starts have not been a problem for me

Post #8514513th Sep 2006 4:04 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

just back from dealers.
Slow Cold Starting:
Suspect software cooupted,Engine EMC.
Download EMC software via IDS. Road tested fine.
Hesitation on Gear Change:
Carried out software down load (I think enhancement re-installed)
Better on start up, well see how the gear change goes.
I'll see how the fuel economy goes.
just filled with diesel, now it's 26c more than petrol. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8514813th Sep 2006 4:57 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Fuel consumption looks like it is back where it should be open city driving the redout is showing 10.7 l/100km. This is better than post enhancement previously. Suspect the software enhancement did not take.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8549514th Sep 2006 8:56 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I measure fuel consumption religiously. The display always gives an incorrect fuel usage, in my case about 1l/100 kms less than actual. I would love correct calibration.
Overall fuel useage since new (31k on the clock in 8 months) is 11litres/100kms. My average speed is around 65-75kph per tank.
The best I have achieved is 9.8 l/100kms driving very carefully at around 98kph (GPS not speedo). The worst I achieved was 50l/100 kms in very soft sand.
Overall the D3 uses 1l/100kms less than my TD5 but 1l/100 kms more than the Tdi defore the TD5.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #8887727th Sep 2006 12:19 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Desert,

Do you know what rpm the engine operating at when you were travelling at 98kph?

I'm intrigued to know if the gearing on Disco3's is actually allowing you to get optimum fuel consumption

Post #8887827th Sep 2006 12:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

When I drove at that speed I believe that I was around 2000, I have an auto and was on cruise on very long flat roads. I don't generally keep an eye on my tacho. I can check it tomorrow, but how accurate is the tacho?
The D3 speedo just reads higher than the GPS speed (only 1-2 %). I use GPSs to get accurate speeds.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #8888127th Sep 2006 12:43 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Fuel consumption

Currently running a manual TDV6 and I have a 110 mile round trip commute to work each day, mostly motorway (M1). Average fuel consumption for me is a consistent 31-32mpg. Usually sit on cruise at 70mph (natural flow speed of M1). Very pleased with economy for what it is and performance generally.

Will have an auto-box next time (I'm lucky enough to change my cars every 6 months) as the manual is a bit agricultural. The auto is much better suited as first gear on the manual is so short. I also think Auto's just suit bigger diesels generally.

This will hit my fuel consumption by around 3-4 mpg but I think it's worth it.

Really can't understand all these reports of only getting 20-25mpg. Admittedly I don't thrash mine but I used to get 25mpg out the old dog engined TD5 in the series 2 and if you can't beat that then there has to be a problem?

Quality is a million miles better than previous models and better than my recent Volvo's also (V70/XC70).

Post #8943029th Sep 2006 8:40 am
Land Rover Nat

United Kingdom 

Just got my HSE back after the enhancement. On my journey to work of 25miles, before i averaged about 27.5, after i got 30.7 driving in same way.

Post #8946529th Sep 2006 10:21 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: Fuel consumption

astonbuilder wrote:
Really can't understand all these reports of only getting 20-25mpg.

My HSE auto is just about averaging 25.something. I started on 23.4 so it is gradually crawling up. Thats a mixture of Mway at 65-75, around town & single carriageways. Driving on the Mway at 60 does not seem to make any difference. Even on a long 75mph runs I only get 27.5ish mpg. These are actual fuel in the tank not the trip computer, then put into Excel. Sad or what!!!

I also find that cruise control helps, at 60 on a long run every time I switched it off the mpg would start drifting down, put it on & it would recover.

Post #8948629th Sep 2006 11:26 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
TDV6 fuel consumption

A little sad I know but I also religiously log my fuel consumption. I'm paying for it and it ain't cheap Crying or Very sad

A tip for those using the auto box version. When I had an auto Disco' I noticed that on A/B type roads the auto didn't 'lock-out' into 6th gear until you were at something like 56mph or more. The car will easily pull 6th at a lower speed, especially if 'cruising' so I got into the habit of sticking it into command-shift mode just to manually select 6th and then back into auto mode.

It made a noticeable difference to my fuel consumption for the better....

Post #8951129th Sep 2006 12:41 pm
Mikely

South Africa 
Fuel Consumption

Have run TDV6 Auto on fuel fleet-card since Jan (22000kms) and overall consumption recorded at 12.3 l/100km (23mpg). The operators "system", which I guess is most company operated diesel D3's, returns consumption figures of 10.7l/100km (26.4mpg) and I'm fairly sure that all SA models are auto.

Would tend to think that this level of consumption would be worst case as loss of power at altitude (Johannesburg +2000m) tends to require slightly heavier right foot.
 Mike  
Post #8952029th Sep 2006 12:58 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

astonbuilder wrote:
so I got into the habit of sticking it into command-shift mode just to manually select 6th and then back into auto mode.

I do that anyway. It annoys the hell out of my wife when I knock into 6th (esp if she is driving) as she says that is what we paid the auto box to do! Rolling Eyes

PS Welcome Mikely, 1st post I see! Milestone

Post #8952129th Sep 2006 12:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >