Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

squeaking noise and vibration during acceleration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
arsi

Finland 2005 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
squeaking noise and vibration during acceleration

I have now lived with this annoying problem in my car over a year since the day one. First it was just a mild squeak when accelerating. Now it has developed into more squeaking and mild vibration.

It happens when I accelerate from 0-60km/h. Squeak and vibration starts from 1500rpm and can be sensed only during second gear (auto) it stops when engine rpm is around 2000 and transmission box shifs to 3rd gear. This can be repeated in command shif mode also. Noise comes from middle and under the front of the car.

The amount of noise and vibration is relative to the how hard you accelerate. It can not be heard under a very mild acceleration.

Now because it seems to be happen in second gear only, the gearbox and torque converter were suspected and last week they were changed to a new one. Also all TSB:s have been gone through and checked possible issues.
(At the same time also the enhancement program was done, wheels aligned and tyres changed.)

The gearbox change did not help to the noise and vibration. It, however, cured other annoying problems I had with the transmission (tip in/tip out clonk, harsh shifts).

One thing that I noticed last weekend was that the vibration is more harsh during left turns. I may be wrong on this but I had this feeling.

Do you have any educated quesses what this might be? It is not gearbox as it has been changed. What other parts in transmission could make a noise like when you are stepping on an old cat and at the same time someone is shaking you.

Post #824534th Sep 2006 11:33 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

there was a SB for a fuel line problem that caused vibration. Could be that, anyone know where the link to that issue can be found?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #824654th Sep 2006 12:14 pm
Jamie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Could be the brakes. The handbrake on my disco was sticking slightly which caused squeeking. could also explain why its more evident on turning left.
 Discovery 3 - TDV6 SE - Bonnati Grey
Defender 90 - 300 Tdi County - Epsom Green 

Post #824974th Sep 2006 3:08 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Caver,
the TSB you refer to is LA303-017

Discovery 3/LR3 - Engine Surge/Vibration at Constant Speed

"A customer may report a concern that a mild engine power surge or a mild vibration similar to an engine misfire can be felt at certain (not all) constant road speeds. The noise may also be described as a noise from auto transmission (scrape or chain noise in all gears). This noise can be induced by revving the engine in neutral (N) and the pipes to/from the fuel filter will be seen to vibrate. In some cases, diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2292 'Injector Pressure Erratic' can be logged in the control module.

Cause: The fuel filter pipe connections have been incorrectly connected (during vehicle build or during maintenance and repair), which results in reverse fuel flow through the fuel filter element (large pipes crossed), or cause high back-pressure in the high-pressure fuel pump (small pipes crossed). If the fuel tank air-bleed and high-pressure fuel pump return via the fuel cooler is crossed, the resulting pressure fluctuations cause the fuel pipes to vibrate, leading to the above complaint."

Although I tend to agree with Jamie that it's more likely to be brakes or wheel bearing related

Post #825094th Sep 2006 4:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arsi

Finland 2005 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

The fuel lines have been checked. And the noise can not be heard revving the engine in N. Also I had the handbreak squeak fixed last winter.

Post #826695th Sep 2006 8:01 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Arsi, I meant the brakes generally, have they checked the fluid levels in the transfer box & differentials?

Post #826825th Sep 2006 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >