Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear PDC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jamo

Australia 
Rear PDC

Just fitted the Kaymad wheel carriers, but have come up against an annoying problem.

The tyres seem to set off the rear PDC, making it useless. I'm yet to get onto Kaymar about this (but will be on Monday as I paid extra for rear pdc integration into the bar).

What I want to know is, can the range/spread/whatever be altered via the T4 to avoid the bottom edge of the tyres when they are on the bar??

Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #760546th Aug 2006 6:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Jamo, let me know what Kaymar say in response about PDC, as I am thinking of having their rear bar instralled, and havd PDC on my HSE.

If the tyres set it off, then it looks like some more research is required.

Post #761356th Aug 2006 7:46 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Looks great !

A tad more custom than yours Si Wink

Idea maybe fitting two wheels the same will help un-confuse the rear PDCt Wink

Post #761636th Aug 2006 9:16 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:
A tad more custom than yours Si Wink
Moi? Shocked
Must admit to eyeing up that carrier for a while, tempted but not sure I really need it. I'd rather be reducing the vehicle weight, not increasing it, still tempting though Confused
 The End  
Post #761656th Aug 2006 9:22 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

LOL - thought you'd be wanting one.

Post #761676th Aug 2006 9:28 pm
Jamo

Australia 

simon wrote:

Idea maybe fitting two wheels the same will help un-confuse the rear PDCt Wink

Thanks simon, but unfortunately no.

When I had just the carrier arms on, it worked fine.

As soon as I mounted the first wheel, it went to a solid beep. Then I mounted the second, hoping that it would rectify the situation, but alas no.

I've sent Kaymar an email as I purchased a bar that was 'Rear PDC compatible' so I'm hoping for a positive answer from them.

I'm also off to the dealer on friday to have a CV boot replaced, so I'll ask them then if anything can be done calibrationwise, or if they can test individual sensors. For all i know I may have a damaged sensor and it was just coincidence that it went fauly after I'd put on the wheels. (But I don't think so).

If it can't be recitifed and it is caused by the wheels, then I'll have to see what I can do next. I need the rear PDC.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #762027th Aug 2006 3:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Jamo,
As it happens I asked about this at the recent 4X4 show in Sydney.

The answer at the time was that the tyres do indeed set off the sensors and the fix is a small aluminum plate mounted to the carrier arm that sits below the tyre (and was curved to fit along the bottom of the tyre). This shield was not available for veiwing at the show, but was in final testing.

The intention was to ship with the PDC compatible bars by the time I needed mine (about now).
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #762517th Aug 2006 11:01 am
Jamo

Australia 

Well the plate obviously doesn't work!

I've fitted both of them!

And since the PDC is basically some type of sonar system, i don't see how the plates could help.

I sent Kaymar the email early this morning. I'm giving them until Tuesday lunch to reply in some form, even if it's just to let me know that they are looking into it.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #762587th Aug 2006 11:18 am
Haggis

I have to admit, I did leave their exhibit wondering how the sensors worked and why an aluminum plate would help if a tyre set them off. But, at the time I took their word for it that they had solved the problem.

I am really interested in the solution since I ordered the same setup just last week...
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #762657th Aug 2006 11:31 am
Haggis

Oh, and I was also told they were working on an injection molded cover for the trailer sockets. Based on your photo that isn't finished either..
Post #762677th Aug 2006 11:34 am
Jamo

Australia 

The socket cover doesn't bother me.

I'm seeing the dealer on Friday, so I'll see if they can change the range of the sensors somehow.

The way I see it, the curved plates would have to be coated in something that absorbed the signals from the PDC, so as the render them 'invisible' to it. But, they're just painted black.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #762717th Aug 2006 12:00 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo,

The picture you posted ages ago which was from Kaymar even shows the D3 with 2 RWC with the rear PDC.

You reckon they would have known back then that it didn't work.

I hope they sort your problem out because I reckon you could go hard on them for falsely selling and advertising something that doesn't work. I'd be pretty Censored off especially if you have to disable the rear PDC. I had to have my front PDC disabled after fitting the front BB but I learnt this before I had purchased the BB.

Good luck.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #762727th Aug 2006 12:05 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

had a similar problem with my front PDC, the system is ultrasonic 'pulsed' so any reflections will activate the sensors, IIRC the rear sensors have a 45 degree 'cone' so the outermost edge of the tyre looks like it will just enter the sensor area.
Try masking part or all of the sensor with some self- amalgamating or butyl rubber tape, worst case is that the outermost ones will still work if you have to mask the inner ones entirely. other than that, could the mounting brackets in the rear bar be angled down slightly so as to miss the tyres? If not, the front PDC sensors have an angled mounting bracket (on the outer ones) could this be made to fit?
I'm not sure if the rear centre sensors have a different spread to the outer ones, (the front PDC sensors have a different angle depending if they are centre or outer position) if so, it's possible that they may have got these mixed up when fitting your bar...

Post #762757th Aug 2006 12:10 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:
...I'm not sure if the rear centre sensors have a different spread to the outer ones, (the front PDC sensors have a different angle depending if they are centre or outer position) if so, it's possible that they may have got these mixed up when fitting your bar...

10fc you might be on the solution here with the spread. I wonder if there is a part number on the sensors so you might be able to determine if they are different.

"they" by the way might be Jamo himself.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Last edited by PCH on 7th Aug 2006 12:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #762787th Aug 2006 12:21 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'll have a look for the part numbers later - can't access at work Wink

Post #762797th Aug 2006 12:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >