DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Alternator replacement guide (please)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
What Denso parts?

sopjas wrote:
Just done mine had it refurbished for £80 with Denso parts.

easy job really, hardest part as explained if getting the fan pulley off, made a toll easy enough though.

Any idea as to what Denso parts were replaced? I assume it was the rectifier, that is the diode thing. I say that as I presume the only other part that would fail would be the voltage regulator, the part that absorbs the PWM signal but I expect that part does not fail.

Other than it being a Denso SC2 alternator, I have never been able to track part numbers down for our alternator, hence the question.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #8436105th Oct 2011 2:58 am
CharlieBoy

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just did mine today, part was £190 + vat genuine new from the stealers (Ripon Landrover). However I did get a bit of discount at that, they reckoned it should be £225 + vat.

For the fan i just left the aux belt on and used a 36mm spanner and whacked the free end of the spanner with a lump hammer to loosen it.

A fairly easy job, many thanks to the guides posted, they helped enormously!

Post #85299329th Oct 2011 11:40 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: What Denso parts?

bbyer wrote:
Any idea as to what Denso parts were replaced? I assume it was the rectifier, that is the diode thing

Are entire alternators being replaced when the fault is just this part? I replaced the rectifier bit on someones car a few years ago at that fixed it, no need for a new alternator and it only cost a few quid.

Post #85301930th Oct 2011 7:53 am
bbyer

No parts or part numbers?

I regard my problem re repair of the Denso alternator to be at best, my inability to find any parts.

I did find some Denso cross reference numbers and I assume that there must be parts available, but as I do not know anyone in the alternator fix it business, I cannot even find numbers for the parts such as the rectifier, bearings etc.

Below is the best I have found to date and it does not help much.

The YLE500390 is the Land Rover part number for a brand new alternator. If the alternator is a rebuilt, (service exchange unit), but Land Rover supplied, then the part number is LR008860 or similar. Two Denso part numbers exist for the alternator as well, 4280003690 and 4280003691. To my knowledge these numbers apply to the petrol V8 and perhaps others. The rating of the petrol V8 alternator is nominal 12 VDC and 150 amps.

For the petrol V6, the LR service exchange number is LR008862 and the 2.7TDV6 is LR008861 where 0 is zero.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #85314530th Oct 2011 4:06 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My alternator failed last week. A quick visual inspection showed that the brushes were worn down to stumps.

The brush assembly looked like this (though there were no part numbers on it so I cannot confirm suitability):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brush-Holder-Bru...1251wt_676

As I got a new one from Saint Nick, and had to return the old one I didn't take it any further, but as the bearing was sound and the commutator looked OK, I'd have guessed that just replacing the brushes would have brought mine back to life.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #85316030th Oct 2011 4:52 pm
bbyer

So brushes wore out?

It sounds like the brushes just wore out. About how many miles would you say were on the alternator - I assume it was the original one?

I had generally felt that the rectifier or voltage regulator was most likely to be the faulty part - never thought it might be just worn out brushes. That is almost a good news fault - something that is not exotic - kind of an old days type of problem for which there are solutions.

I appreciated the link re the eBay seller; I see that he also has a Denso rectifier listed.
Post #85338231st Oct 2011 3:13 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine had 60k miles on it over 5 years, but has seen some pretty nasty muddy gritty water on occasion which is always going to grind the brushes as there's no waterproofing; mine had grass and clay in the regulator cooling fins Whistle
The bushes kick start the power generation by creating the initial magnetic field, so without them the unit doesn't work. I'm not expert enough to know whether the regulator electronics will be damaged by 'trying too hard' to overcome the lack of the generating field, but I cannot see how they could be.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #85343031st Oct 2011 10:48 am
goggs41

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

having lost all electrical power on my Disco 3 today the rac mechanic tells me the alternator has gone, it did smell pretty bad. It is due to be taken to guy salmon Stockport on Monday but thought I would search the forum to get some idea of cost. I'm guessing with main dealer rates and £200 for the parts it ain't gonna be cheap. I am based in Manchester and wondered if anyone could offer some advice as to an alternative place to take it which may be cheaper than a main dealer? Definitely not up to the job myself Appreciate any help.

Post #9979764th Nov 2012 1:06 am
marco 110

France 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

heya

I know it can be used:
A "kit" repair here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ALTERNATOR-R...35b8d78ec5

Work for my old alternator Thumbs Up

First , I change one , so , have a "spar parts" now....

You need this tools:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bolt complicated to make not much space:

Marco.
-D4 sdv6 HSE 2012 , high beam assist , surround cam, tv , and a lot of nice stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/user/marcsteph110?feature=mhum

Ex :
-90 td 1989
-110sw td5 2000
-D3 tdv6 SE 2006

Post #9982374th Nov 2012 7:23 pm
bbyer

Finally parts for our Denso.

Thanks for the ebay link. This is the first time that I have ever seen parts available for our alternator. So replacing the diode piece fixed your alternator?

I thought maybe the problem would be with the Transpo Regulator, another part that does not seem to exist.
Post #9983134th Nov 2012 9:25 pm
bbyer

Diode Bridge Rectifier is probably an INR426

The part number for the bridge rectifier is INR426, a 12 diode, avalanche type diode pack which is 117mm in diameter and rated for alternators in the range of 120 to 150 amps. Those amp numbers concern me as they may be the reason we have alternator failures - our units work at the top end of the design range.

I note that the link in the above post calls up the rectifier as 116mm and with an M8 threaded stud. The INR426 rectifier has the smaller M6 stud so I wondered which stud size was on your factory alternator; also if the rectifier received had the M6 or M8 threaded stud. If it had the M8, then it was not an INR426 and I have to continue the parts number research.
Post #9989436th Nov 2012 5:17 am
bbyer

Guess not an INR426 bridge rectifier.

To kind of answer my own question re above, I looked at the B+ stud on my old removed nominal 150 amp alternator. I kept the core with the idea of rebuilding it, but for the life of me, cannot find the parts, or more correctly, the part numbers so I can order the parts.

The stud is an M8 x 1.25 course thread stud, not an M6. As such, that suggests that the 117mm Denso factory rectifier is some variation of the INR426 but not actually a normal Transpo INR426. As such, the question still remains, what is the part number of the 12 diode bridge rectifier?
Post #10000848th Nov 2012 3:51 am
D3Norway

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
INR437

I think it is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTERNATOR-RECTI...3384c1fa58

It ticks all the boxes pretty much, unless any cross referance to Land Rover..

What you guys think..
 christian@betekconsult.com  
Post #12297913rd Feb 2014 12:15 pm
bbyer

M8 B+ stud

It has the M8 stud for the B+, so that is closer than anything I have found. I think you may have discovered the correct rectifier. It should not be so hard, but it seems anything Land Rover is.

Also the fact that Ford and Volvo show as the vehicles the rectifier is designed for suggests also Land Rover and I suspect Jaguar as well.

It seems alot of the software within the 3 is written in the same code as Volvo tends to use.
Post #12300393rd Feb 2014 6:54 pm
D3Norway

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, I cant see why it would't fit..
'Flak' on this forum would be able to confirm I think!

I've been quoted 43 Eur for the rectifier And brush box, think its worth the risk.. Smile
 christian@betekconsult.com  
Post #12303504th Feb 2014 8:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >