Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

LR Assured Extended Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
PerthDisco

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's not a matter of 'saving' $3k. The $3k is still in my pocket for repairs and maintenance anyway, "if" needed.

As I said before, EW or not, you are still up for the costs of normal servicing, brakes and other consumables etc. If you flush the gearbox (as is now recommended <80,000km) that is another $1000+ out of pocket. The $3k will go to that as well.

I feel I have some front end clunking which matches with ball joint / control arm / ARB issues described by many D3 owners. I will go hard for that to be addressed in the final service before the warranty runs out in November.

Another thought is there is no insurance company in the world that provides a charitable service. Reading this website you would think that for every policy Allianz sell they make a huge guaranteed loss (considering a large part of the EW cost is margin for the dealership). If this was the case the cost would be much more or they would not offer it - same for any insurance. The reality must be that they must sell enough where no claim is made to cover the payouts they do make???

Perhaps it is natural to see stories of the problems in a concentrated form on a website such as this?

Just airing my thoughts. Am still giving the EW serious thought. I will see how the final service goes before making a final decision when the LR warranty is about to run out.

Post #68629426th Aug 2010 1:48 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Hi PD,

Any modern 4WD is a complicated beast. It has to be, to comply with C21 safety rules and regulations and yet still be capable of venturing off-road. Complicated = expensive, and any brand - Land Rover, Toyota, Nissan, Jeep, VW, Porsche - has a multitude of fail points.

It is the nature of owners' forums like these that such fail point are often highlighted. And so are people's dealings with the respective agents and companies. The problem with anecdotal evidence like this is that it comes from a database of maybe 3 or 4 observations, generally biased towards failures (ie the majority of people who are happy with their experience rarely post about it).

People like Neil and Mark aren't 'whingers' - they have had a negative experience that highlights companies' inabilities to rectify complex faults. But this is true of ALL major brands today. It unfortunately taints that individual's relationship to the whole brand (how many "never buy a Toyota/Nissan/Land Rover/Jeep" do you see? All from the singular viewpoint).

However, on the subject of warranties ......

When someone buys a +$60 000 vehicle, they generally don't expect it to break down. Unfortunately this is false logic. Such a vehicle is naturally going to be vastly more complex than a $10 000 D1/D2/LC80. For the premium price, one SHOULD expect a more prompt and transparent service from the agent, but really that's about it, and even then this will only generally apply if the agent was the person benefitting from the sale. They are human after all, not bonded in blood to the company they represent.

So if you can afford a warranty - get it. Don't double guess yourself, the probabilities only get confusing. If you're going to use this vehicle for towing, touring, off-roading, carting large loads, the peace of mind a warranty gives cannot be valued.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #68655227th Aug 2010 2:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Got a note from the dealer, and they just sent me the paperwork for an extended warranty.

I can get extended factory + Roadside assistance for;
1 Year 30,000km $2595
2 Year 60,000km $2795
3 Year 90,000km $2995
4 Year 120,000km $3195

I'm probably going to hang onto this car for another 4 years so I think I'm going to take that option, although i checked and the extended warranty is transferable if i sell the car.

Anyone else seen this one? Underwritten by some crowd called National Warranty Company
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #72262829th Nov 2010 5:49 am
PerthDisco

Update: In the end I purchased the (non-LR) Allianz 3 year Warranty. I believe this is the best value and allows you to service where you like (in accordance with LR specs) whereas the LR badged product is written to require servicing at a dealer.

Local dealer matched the best quote I got from LR dealers around the country - it pays to shop around.

My factory warranty actually expires today!!

Prior to expiry LR replaced under warranty my steering column (apparently the source of my front end clunks) with new and she's drives like a new one now. The also fully replaced the steering wheel with latest leather type and also the driver's door wiring harness to correct the loose / faulty A-pillar connection.

No complaints about LR so far Thumbs Up

Post #72262929th Nov 2010 6:00 am
Neil Pettersen

PerthDisco wrote:
My factory warranty actually expires today!!

So does mine Rolling with laughter Big Cry , but Allianz to the partial rescue .............

Post #72263129th Nov 2010 6:23 am
Neil Pettersen

Dan W wrote:
....... I can get extended "factory" .............

I'd like to believe it's just as that says , but I'm too long in the tooth Dan .

Post #72263229th Nov 2010 6:25 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I though Allianz were underwriting it.

Looks like this lot could be worse.

http://nwco.com.au/

Carefully read the PDS. LR one not NWCo one as it could be different.
But given you bought it through LR then they should back you as long as you service with them.

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?t=39255

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?t=35364
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #72263329th Nov 2010 6:31 am
Neil Pettersen

......"I believe if you read the warranty document that the warranty covers the replacement of parts equivilant to the age and kilometers of the vehicle. At no time does it suggest new for old replacement, remembering that this is an aftermarket extended warranty, not the manufacturers new car warranty. " .........

Don't you just love this sort of scam ? Shocked

Try finding a secondhand part of the same age as your broken part ; they're taking the pi$$

Post #72263429th Nov 2010 7:17 am
caverD3

Was that the LR PDS or tyhe National one?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #72263929th Nov 2010 7:54 am
Neil Pettersen

A , That was the National one .

Post #72264329th Nov 2010 8:26 am
caverD3

The LR one may be different as it is not National policy but 'underwritten by' National
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #72264529th Nov 2010 8:30 am
Neil Pettersen

The example was just for National A , but I bet the LR ain't Factory ; the cost statistics
of 3 year Factory for new , extrap to 6 years is scary .

Post #72264929th Nov 2010 9:08 am
caverD3

I am sure there will be differences but I hope the Lr one is better than the National. Rolling Eyes
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #72265829th Nov 2010 9:38 am
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I can't seem to find any reference to the Allianz one on the net at all. Anyone got a link or a phone number?

The papers i got for the LR underwritten by NWC did have some specific details, like for Austral customers they waive the $100 contribution.

It does state that you have to forward all service documentation to NWC, and they may ask for proof of sending (sounds to me like they're setting up a loophole like "you didn't send the service receipts so your claim is denied....)

I can find an Essanda one - is that any good?
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #72272029th Nov 2010 12:15 pm
PerthDisco

Essanda sell Allianz products.

You cannot get the Allianz other than from LR dealers. You cannot buy off the net or from other sources. Not all LR dealers offer it i.e. Melbourne LR does not.

The new LR badged extended warranty is also an Allianz product.

I have spoken to others you have claimed without issue on the Allianz product.

Post #72277729th Nov 2010 1:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >