DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Battery gadget
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Battery gadget

An interesting concept in preventing a flat battery...don't know what effects it would have on the D3 'brain' though. TFC over to you Wink

http://www.batterybrain.com/products/index.html
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7112618th Jul 2006 5:17 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

complete waste of dosh... Rolling Eyes there is no correlation built in between battery capacity, temperature and voltage - which are the three factors that affect startability*
The Disco 3 has power management built into many systems, disconnecting active systems won't do it any good at all Confused

(*new word, copyright 10forcash Wink )

That's the end of that one eh? Rolling Eyes

Post #7117218th Jul 2006 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I knew you wouldn't let us down TFC Very Happy

I am learning that it's best just to put things forward either to be 'ooooo'd & aaarr'd' at ....or ....as in this case, completely tw*ted Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7120918th Jul 2006 10:51 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

so doesnt this help in the case where you leave the door open or the car is parked say at the airport for a week and the alarm keeps sounding? or some such mistake? i.e. if detects the battery is getting low and disconnects load from it to preserve whats left to get you going when you return?

as for it being something I want... im not saying that, but I have seen the solar trickle chargers, and with the dealer telling me the car doesnt actually generate enough power when moving to fully recharge the battery ...EVER....sort of worried me into thinking I might get one.
(apparantly they are recommending all D3s batteries should be put on charge when in for any work)
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7121418th Jul 2006 10:56 pm
10forcash

In terms of battery charging, the Disco3 can 'hold it's own' under normal operating conditions - i.e. start to stop of over 7 miles..... the LR dealers have to use battery chargers for any work involving software upgrades as WDS / IDS will not function correctly with voltages of less than 12.65VDC - which is above the static voltage of a fully charged lead-calcium battery Wink

Post #7122218th Jul 2006 11:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

I can see what youre saying, but the dealer (and the LR recovery guy who had to start me 3 different times when having batter issues) both said the same.

They were saying that unlike 'older' vehicle designs the D3 was so loaded with electronics they were seeing lots of low battery issues which is why there is this unofficial policy in place.

They were also specific about the fact that in a situation where the battery had been discharged to the point it couldnt restart the car, no matter how long a drive you did you would not get the battery back up to full without a visit to the dealer to recharge. Confused

I was also given duf info by another LR recovery guy who told me it was ok to jumpstart my car with normal jumpleads Rolling Eyes something I am now well lectured and educated in avoiding Laughing
Post #7123018th Jul 2006 11:15 pm
10forcash

It's true that a lead - calcium battery does not like deep discharge and will only recover with a bench charge, any diesel engined vehicle is difficult to start with jum-leads, the accepted practice is to charge the bettery via the jump leads from the donor vehicle for a minimum of 10 minutes before attempting a start Wink

Post #7123618th Jul 2006 11:20 pm
dylansdad

thats what I was told by the origional guy, but was seriously warned NEVER to do so by the second (and I have to admit - good) LR guy and then the dealer.

something to do with standard jump leads having no surge protection and a deep discharged battery would not stop your ECU from being fried by the initial surge of connecting the charging vehicle. they claimed that if this happened they would be able to tell via LR diags.

My jump leads were standard ones, Id never even heard of these special jump leads.
Post #7124018th Jul 2006 11:24 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There should not be any problem with using "standard" jumper cables to start the D3, just make sure that the donor car's engine is NOT running when you connect the jumper leads.

Most "spikes" are caused by arcing confusing the regulator on the donor cars alternator (which can only occur when the alternator is working).

One could also make sure that the ignition has been off for at least 2 minutes so as to ensure that the ECU has shut down (if you are paranoid Rolling Eyes )

Obviously the donor vehicle should have a battery that is in good condition.

-- Paul

Last edited by PSC on 19th Jul 2006 10:27 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #7132219th Jul 2006 10:22 am
10forcash

Not disputing what you were told.....
However Rolling Eyes there are several methods of connecting & using jump leads so as not to create a 'surge'
you can either:-
connect with the donor vehicle's engine off, then start up the donor vehicle and allow it's alternator to charge both batteries for ten minutes first with revs @1500 or so, once started, switch off the donor vehicle and switch on lights & heated everything on the started vehicle before disconnecting the jump leads

or

Switch on lights, heated - everything on the donor vehicle, connect leads, switch off the electrical loads and allow to charge then as per above.

The biggest cause of voltage surge is starting the vehicle and applying revs, if it is started and allowed to idle for a couple of minutes, this will prevent any voltage spikes, it's also difficult to interogate a fried ECU, whatever the cause

Do you have any info on these 'special' jump leads - i've not come across them Confused

Post #7132319th Jul 2006 10:25 am
Jamo

Australia 

I flattened my battery sufficently so that the car wouldn't start, by leaving the coolerbox on for two days.

I started the car using a portable battery pack (regulated). The 400km drive home was sufficient to completely recharge the battery.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7132619th Jul 2006 10:29 am
dylansdad

10forcash wrote:

Do you have any info on these 'special' jump leads - i've not come across them Confused

no specifics other than that they are not available at your normal halfords and they contain surge protection.
Post #7153819th Jul 2006 6:54 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Engine ECU can be programmed as low as 11.4Volts adn that goes for must systems on the car as the contain microprocessors and memory chips that program at 5v Smile
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #7154419th Jul 2006 7:10 pm
10forcash

What's the upper limit TC? ISTR it's somewhere in the region of 18.5VDC

Post #7154519th Jul 2006 7:13 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Usually around the 17-18Volt mark....but try this at home Smile
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #7165420th Jul 2006 6:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >