DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Anti Puncture Sealant?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Anti Puncture Sealant?

Hi,

I've got some MTR's coming from Ken. I am wondering about using some sealant to protect them from punctures etc. Does anyone do this? Good bad? Any advise on products?

Thanks in advance

Stu
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #58877624th Jan 2010 11:37 am
DaveVX

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

They may help if you have a nail in your tyre and thats about it. (a slow puncture)

At motorway speeds the tyres tend to get damaged too much for this stuff to be effective

from my experience on the road, your very lucky if they work.

Post #58885924th Jan 2010 1:27 pm
Stu

Dave, I was realy thinking more about off road use to be honest. Any thoughts on that? is there any disadvantage to using them?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #58886024th Jan 2010 1:32 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

You should not damage a tyre off road, as you will be paying attention and will be going slow Thumbs Up Most tyre damage comes from fooking about doing something silly. I have had loads of punctures.

TBH most damage when off roading will be a split in the side wall so I doubt that the sealant will work.

You can take a tin of sealant with you and add it to the punctured tyre when you get one and see if it works, or get some of this kit and keep it in your 4x4 Thumbs Up

http://www.tyre-rite.co.uk/searchresult_Al...egoryID=10
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #58893624th Jan 2010 3:25 pm
stvmor

Isle Of Man 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Worth noting that the repair kit is only suitable for off road use and does not provide a road legal repair.
 Stvmor  
Post #58894124th Jan 2010 3:32 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

You are correct, however it will get you to safety (flat surface) so you can replace the tyre. Also very handy when driving on tracks in Morocco/Tunisia Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #58894824th Jan 2010 3:40 pm
Ken

Tyre Sealant in a tyre is perfectly legal

Only works really for slow punctures screw in tyre ect and is a temp repair

However Use the stuff and you fook your chance of a pro repair at a later point in time

Post #58895024th Jan 2010 3:41 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

a cautionary tale to say on this one: Put the stuff in the trailer wheels last summer, eventually changed four over but the spare (filled with the stuff) was not.

On a trip to scotland had a slow puncture, changed over to use the spare, thought no problems. Next day on a return trip back to scotland with a F550M on the back, passing a mini bus filled with a hen party going no doubt to Blackpool, I was in lane 2 doing around 60mph when all of a sudden heard a bank and initially thought I'd driven over some debris on the motorway.

Swung over to the hardshoulder, initially did'nt notice anything, tyres all up. Further investigation then disclosed what had happened. The "spare" had lost its complete tred in one gurt big length which then wrapped itself around the rear of a brake drum ripping out the brake cable and pulling off a torrsion bar to boot Shocked

Long and short, don't use this stuff on any "spare" that you might otherwise not use for extended periods of time, a hardspot can be formed where the gunk sits in the tyres and as a concequence the wheel turning at high speed eventually separates the tred from the tyres leaving you with around less than a 1mm of rubber.

In my case, the tyre stayed inflated due to the gunk in it but also caused the damage in the first place. Total cost of repair and to employ another contractor to take the load up to scotland, £1300. Big Cry

Post #58899224th Jan 2010 4:53 pm
flinty99

England 

I was recommended what is now called Ultraseal Puncturesafe (http://www.ultrasealuk.biz/pages/cars.htm) . You put this into your tyre and it prevents punctures as opposed to the stuff you put in after the event to fix a puncture.

I used it in a few of my old cars including my old D3 and I must say I never has a puncture that stopped me. The downside is, sometimes you don't know you have a problem so you have to inspect your tyres more often for damage.

Not got around yet to filling my 19's yet, but I should.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Last edited by flinty99 on 24th Jan 2010 9:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #58908224th Jan 2010 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stu

Flinty, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, preventative rather than something to fix a puncture after it happens.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #58915824th Jan 2010 8:25 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've always used ultraseal on my motorbike. no fooking way am I pushing a motrobike down some french alp to the nearest tyre shop or campsite - until I can get a repair.

Cars - never bothered on normal stuff. Rally car has ultraseal too Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #58918524th Jan 2010 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I put preventative gunk (Protex) in my Scorpion Zero's when I first had the car, as we have always put it in SWMBO's car and never had a problem.

The problem comes that they have to put so much in, due to the volume of the tyre. The Honda Jazz needs 8 units per wheel, the Disco is 16 units per wheel. I mention this as there is so much of the stuff per wheel that you have to do the running in thing every time you use the Disco to redistribute the gunk, especially on mine that gets occasional use rather than everday use.

The downside of this is that the wheels are so unbalanced until the stuff gets distributed ( a few miles) I worried what it was doing to all the bushes etc, I certainly couln't have sold the car like it or asked anyone else to drive it.

I now have AT2's (thanks Mr H) and am gunkless. The Zero's are still in the garage gunked up, but as they are not being used, I guess they will need to be stripped down and the gunk removed before I will trust them on the road again.

I wouldn't use any gunk again as a preventative on the disco, the amount you have to use for our tyres is just to great, unless you have high usage so the stuff never settles.

Sorry to be negative, but HTH

Rik
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #58950525th Jan 2010 10:10 am
Stu

Rik,

It's not being negative, it's fantastic honest feedback. I think I will go gunkless!

Thanks for your comments - one and all.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #58950925th Jan 2010 10:34 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Dunno whether its just a way of creaming more profit but I've heard of tyre fiitters saying the gunk has made the tyre irrepairable and/or charging extra for cleaning the crap off the rim when they get the damaged tyre off. I can imagine it isn't nice inside the tyre......

I have always added it to my motorbikes as little alternative but see it as "get me home in an emergency" rather than a "it's fixed that little hole" semi-permanent fix

Post #58973625th Jan 2010 4:55 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I've used the "precautionary" stuff in a couple of vehicles, a caravan and bikes with no vibration problems. There is a make of sealant that is water soluble so no problem if a tyre-off repair is needed. But if the hole is that big that the sealant does not work then is it going to be repairable at all?

More frequent inspection is essential as you do not notice debris stuck in the tyre. It does not show up as a "slow" puncture and would wiggle about making a bigger and bigger hole in the rubber until it eventually damaged a cord. I've pulled a far amount of metal and glass out over the years but never needed a tyre-off repair - yet!

Navigator

Post #62276718th Mar 2010 1:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >