Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

low coolant level warning - quick fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
taffy1961

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
low coolant level warning - quick fix

Had the low coolant warning for a while, dealer said it would be replaced under warranty but then said that they couldn't actually order the replacement expansion tank as "land rover only had enough for their own production"....hmmmm being a suspiscious sort i phoned round and found stock in another dealer. LR part ref PCF500015 for the princely sum of £15+vat!!! for the whole thing including low level warning sensor.
grille off, headlight unit out and a couple of hose clamps and the new one was in and the problem solved.....for just short of £20 it may not be worth trying the warranty replacement route.......
happy spannering

Post #5915319th May 2006 2:38 pm
Pelyma

England 

I'd send your dealer the bill, adding 1 hours labour cost!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #5915719th May 2006 2:45 pm
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, Had the same problem last week... car booked in for service, they had one in stock and replaced it. It had a leak "apparently"

Have we uncovered another fault??

Post #5917919th May 2006 4:27 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

Am I getting the same problem on my RRS TDv6? I collected it from the dealer this afternoon after they had done the 1st service, 5 miles from dealership I got the Bongs and info display " Coolant Level Low" , pulled off the road and left the engine running but the temperature gauge didn't rise at all. Drove back to dealer but the level was OK when we opened the bonnet so I assumed it was a software glitch with the latest upgrades that have been installed.
At the service a Fuel Burning Pre-heater was installed that had been omitted on the production line at build time. Before the service I have had plenty of system alarms but nothing as serious as a low coolant warning.
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #5919419th May 2006 6:11 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

Have just been out to the car now it has cooled right off and checked the coolant level..................... Shocked the level is below the minimum. No signs of any leakage so I can only assume that the guy that fitted the FBH had to drain the coolant off to remove the header tank and give access to fit the heater and then omitted to refill to the minimum level.............. a visit to the dealer is on the cards tomorrow morning 1st thing, just as well they are only 20 minutes drive away.
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #5919919th May 2006 6:56 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Tim, be interesting to hear what they have to say, after checking the level the day before. Question
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #5920419th May 2006 7:41 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My Dealer told me that they have had to replace a few tanks due to a faulty sensor.

Mine was replaced a couple of weeks ago.

The system was pressure tested and found okay even though my expansion tank had lost some coolant (like 2 cm below the cold level range) .

No problems since.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #5923619th May 2006 10:03 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

The coolant level in the tank is way below the "low" level so I doubt the warning alarm is fibbing.........................
Post #5929820th May 2006 9:01 am
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

me again, whilst my temp gauge did not move the coolent was below the level by about 2cm as well... i looked and could not see any sign of a leak!

It was though going somewehere!

Post #5931720th May 2006 1:51 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

Took it into the dealer 1st thing on Saturday and they took it away into the service bays and topped it up. Certainly in 24 hours the level has not moved.
Post #5937821st May 2006 11:12 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The dealer will have had to disconnect coolant hoses to fit the FBH, even if the spanner monkey topped up the coolant afterwards (unlikely) or used the special hose - squeezing pliers to prevent the bulk of the coolant leaking (likely) there may still have been an airlock in the FBH heat transfer assembly which would only purge itself after a good run in the vehicle. Given the relatively low volumetric differential between the high and low marks on the expansion tank, this is the probable cause of the 'loss'

Post #5950722nd May 2006 11:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >