DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Broken Interior trim
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Broken Interior trim

Hi Everyone, I have gone and broken it Big Cry

The interior trim large section that surrounds the radio and cente console.

To cut a long story short was sat in the car waiting for the enemy when I noticed the trim wasnt quite straight and could be the cause of a little anoying rattle.

So I pushed it in a bit and pulled it back a bit and now it looks awful and I think I may have broken a lug or some other little plastic bit and cant get it right.

It looks a mess and I feel such a fool cos I am Useless and should never even have played about with something I know nothing about. Embarassed

Now I need some help, even willing to pay a few quid if someone in the swindon area can have a bit of a look at it for me, otherwise I will have to take it to the stealer and blame it on the idiot who fitted me phone kit recently Whistle Whistle

Can anyone help please, would be vary grateful. Thumbs Up
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #4166266th Feb 2009 8:55 pm
JPW

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Have you tried removing it and then refitting?

To remove:

Grab on both sides - fingertips on the outside, thumbs on the inside - near the bottom and pull. You have to pull quite hard - there are 4 metal clips that you have to pull out of their fixings.

Once off you may be able to see if you've broken anything - the two sides should be identical

To re-fit, line the top of the trim up first and then push the bottom into place. You should hear and feel the clips slot into place.

Post #4166616th Feb 2009 9:27 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

TK, Don't worry, it's very unlikely that you've broken anything by prodding it a bit. Removing this trim requires a damned hard yank to release all the clips and so far my trim has survived intact; and in my experience I usually break at least one clip each time I do this.

Chances are that if someone non-LR fitted that phone kit, they didn't have the spare clips to replace the one(s) they broke, and that's why your trim doesn't fit properly any more.

Remove the trim as JPW says and see if you have the four metal clips that attach to the lugs on the trim; if not then put up with it being rattly/wonky for a couple of days whilst you order some new clips. Once refitted you should feel happy that it's well secured, straight and rattle free.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4167306th Feb 2009 10:58 pm
monkey hanger

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Rolling with laughter

I thought I'd snapped mine in half when i pulled it off to retrofit the wood. I agree with the above- it will just clip back in place. If its realy broken PM me and you can have my old one. Thumbs Up
 "its probably a virus, you'll be right as rain in a few days and if you're playing sport try to favour the other leg"  
Post #4167987th Feb 2009 12:09 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

thekergan

I'll be down past Swindon on M4 earl;y monday if you want to meet at services of somewhere like that. I have a few spare clips to.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #4168577th Feb 2009 9:38 am
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

the kergan

M8 don't fret sounds like a take off and reapply should fix it!!

If its a case of needing a replacement,which from what you say it sounds like not,I have a centre console trim up for sale currently Wink

Hope you can get it sorted.

Thumbs Up

Post #4168887th Feb 2009 11:29 am
the kergan

DiscoDunc wrote:
thekergan

I'll be down past Swindon on M4 earl;y monday if you want to meet at services of somewhere like that. I have a few spare clips to.

Hi, thanks very much for the offer, however I am in a meeting with a supplier on Monday morning. Shame would have been nice to meet up Thumbs Up
Post #4168907th Feb 2009 11:30 am
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

M8 if you are coming over S.Wales give me a shout and I am sure I can fix it for you!!!. PM me if you need to.

Thumbs Up

Post #4169227th Feb 2009 12:50 pm
the kergan

Thanks to everyone who replied to my problem,

I have a brother is is a lot braver then I am, he had a look at it yesterday and had it all in bits within 5 mins. The problem was with the phone kit that was fitted, the wire going to the parrot was quite thick and was forcing the trim out of alignment.

He moved the parrot and wire to a new position to the side of the trim and refitted everything and it is all fine now. No irritating squeak now and the trim around the console looks perfect again.

Only problem he has was one of the 4 metal clips on the back of the trim was missing, couldnt find it anywhere but it all went back together fine without it.

Again many thanks for the offers of help Thumbs Up
Post #4174398th Feb 2009 10:37 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

the kergan wrote:
Only problem he has was one of the 4 metal clips on the back of the trim was missing, couldnt find it anywhere

It's not at all scary, tugging hard at a very visible bit of 35-odd grands worth of car, is it?!

Just tried for the first time, and I too had only 3 of the 4 clips (as expected after the "ping" noise!). Top left was missing, and I found it just inside the bottom edge of the trim round the passenger footwell, against the transmission tunnel - must have dropped almost straight down.

Martin

Post #4184569th Feb 2009 3:35 pm
JPW

Quote:
I found it just inside the bottom edge of the trim round the passenger footwell, against the transmission tunnel - must have dropped almost straight down.

In my experince, that's were they normally end up - but sometimes they can lodge half way down - or you can loose them entirely.

Be warned however, once they have come off they tend to fall off each time you remove the trim. The ones I bought new and refitted seem a bit less inclined to pop off. They are only a few pence I found it better to buy a replacement than have to scrabble around each time finding a stray clip.

Post #4184609th Feb 2009 3:43 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Quote:
The ones I bought new and refitted seem a bit less inclined to pop off.

OK, on second removal I have two half clips... silly questions, but are these just a standard prt I can buy in the local spares shop?! Since you say they're only a few pence each, I assume they are not a main dealer-only part Smile

Cheers

Martin

Post #41910010th Feb 2009 12:29 pm
JPW

No I'm afraid that they are LR specific clips (well I've never seen them anywhere else) so it is a dealer only purchase.

Sad

Post #41911610th Feb 2009 1:02 pm
Lord Dust

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Stereo Removal

Couldn't find a better thread to tack this on to so here we go anyway!

I'm looking to fit my Parrot Laughing to the back of the Stereo as i don't have factory Bluetooth Crying or Very sad
(good thing my Grandpa can't read this - he'd think I was from outta space! ..or Swindon)

anyway..

I have seen you guys suggest remove the centre console complete with the ICE by pulling out and up at the bottom of the console

1) ....do you know if the Stereo has standard DIN pluggery at the back of it?

2) ....are we saying that it is possible to fix say the Parrot mic into the mic holder in the overhead light console?

3) ....how do you travel to Mars using only tyre pressure?

..yup that should just about do it (...i'll get me coat)

Post #41973111th Feb 2009 10:32 am
the kergan

Hi, My parrot was fitted by a company who came into land rover and done it before I collected the car. As for the console my brother pulled it off from the bottom and it came off very easily.

To get to the back of the stereo I gather you would have to un-screw the screws around the edge of the stereo unit, the screws are hidden by the console trim.

We moved the parrot screen to a slightly different place as the bracket holding it in place and the cable running to the control box was forcing the trim out of kilter (if there is such a word)

As for the mic, mine is by the overhead light console, now this does just pull off as I have had this down myself already. The cable is fed above the headlining and comes down the passenger side door pillar. They would have taken the door pillar trim off to get the cable down.

Thats about all i know, cos im a bit stupid when it comes to practical things like tearing apart your expensive D3 Thumbs Up

If I get 5 mins later I will put up a couple of pics
Post #41990611th Feb 2009 3:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >