DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

USB to RCA / Phono connection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
USB to RCA / Phono connection

Hi everyone,

I am stil working on my carputer (probably will be forever) anyway I now want to use it for controlling the DVD for my rear screens. I can do the DVD bit etc. without a problem and I can split what I see in the front to what the screens in the back see. However I don't have any space for a PCI graphics card for the 2nd monitor outputs. I wonder if anyone knows where I can get a USB to RCA / Phono lead AND SOFTWARE to send the signal to the rear screens.

The USB device needs to be seen on the PC as an additional monitor, otherwise I cannot display something different on the front and rear screens so I think the software is the most important thing. I can find USB to phono leads, but I need a solution whereby the computer thinks it has an additional monitor attached. Anyone know of anything?

Thanks in advance
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #57969312th Jan 2010 4:36 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I may be wrong (it has been known) but IIRC, the Netbook industry standard on graphics cards doesn't support USB graphics. It's a hardware thing rather than software. I'll do some more digging, but when I looked into doing something similar I kept coming up against this issue.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #57970012th Jan 2010 4:45 pm
Stu

Hi Al,

Interesting, it might not be an issue for me though as I am not going to be using a netbook - I currently am, but I am going to buy the power supply etc. so that the PC boots when the car starts and hibernates when it is switched off etc. so it will be a small PC that I will be using, so hopefully that might be ok, although the PC uses laptop components to keep the size down, but it is not using netbook prcoessor etc.

Thanks for the info and quick reply. Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #57970612th Jan 2010 4:50 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

There are certainly USB docking stations which do video as well as the more usual keyboard, mouse and port replicator. See for example this one from Belkin. They're not cheap, but it might give you a pointer as to what to look for

Post #57972712th Jan 2010 5:18 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

LinnITX do a touchscreen that works solely on USB - no VGA/S-Video/Composite connections at all. It works with the Mini ITX form-factor kit they sell, but can't access their site at the moment to check the specs of their Motherboards.

With that in mind, it may be worth trying to find out what onboard graphics processors they have with their small form factor kit and then sniffing out their drivers?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #57973212th Jan 2010 5:20 pm
Stu

The trouble is I am very happy with my touch screen and it wasn't cheap so I don't really want to have to bin it.

Also the docking station won't work (unless it is USB and will still allow output from my onboard graphics?) as this is not for the netbook, but for a PC.

I wonder if I just need to look for a USB to VGA output option and then worry bout VGA to phono which should be easier to resolve?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #57974412th Jan 2010 5:33 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Not suggesting you bin the screen, just that you look into the specs of their motherboards' graphics capabilities. If they are broadly similar to yours, you'll know it CAN be done. Decompiling one of their drivers would be the next step to meeting your goal
Post #57975312th Jan 2010 5:44 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What you need is 1 of these and one of these

cheers

Pom

Post #57977712th Jan 2010 5:59 pm
Stu

I think buying their screen might be an easier option! Bow down

Definaltey some options to consider though. I am interested in the USB docking station idea, as I could do with some more USB ports anyway.

Does anyone know if this allows you to have two outputs though or if just just repliaces the port and therefore nicks the existing output.

This is all quite frustrating because my 15 year old mac has phono outputs for a video recorder or screen, yet newer PC's don't have this sort of option.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #57977912th Jan 2010 6:00 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

just get a usb hub, nothing easier than usb video to RCA Mr. Green

Post #57979212th Jan 2010 6:07 pm
Stu

USB to RCA - if it's so easy then please do tell me how?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #57979712th Jan 2010 6:11 pm
Stu

Pom sorry we must have crossed posts! Didn't see the one above! That is exactly what I am after thanks for the info! I'll be ordering!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #57980512th Jan 2010 6:14 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Stu wrote:
Also the docking station won't work (unless it is USB and will still allow output from my onboard graphics?) as this is not for the netbook, but for a PC.

it should just appear as a second monitor as you requested, then you can set it up to either mirror what goes out the main vga port or as an extension of the desktop. The USB to VGA adapter Pom linked to should do the same since it says it's "a cost-saving multi-monitor or dual display option that can be used as an external graphics card for laptop or desktop applications".

What I think you need to look at next is usefully converting the VGA to component video - is it just a matter of connecting the relevant pins on the VGA port to the RCA connector or is there any buffering or processing required?

Post #57980812th Jan 2010 6:16 pm
Stu

Will the sound go out through the phono as well - just crossed my mind that it would be video only. Which will be an issue Neutral
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #57981112th Jan 2010 6:17 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Stu,
Bit off topic but I was going to use one of these with the screens I got from TLO. Plays DVD, USB stick and memory cards. Free's up the PC and makes the wiring very easy! £82.

http://www.ice2go.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=E0820
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #57983312th Jan 2010 6:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >