Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Faultmate FCR ...a small review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
tinneyr

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Sorry for the dumb question, what is achieved by clearing the faults using this device, does it clear the fault or just clear the memory of the fault. What I think I mean is that if an alarm appears once, will it keep comming back until it is cleard from the memory ??
I have an intermittent suspension fault which keeps comming up and the machanic just used a larger hand held device today to clear all my alarms, but going back next week for a thorough check on the possible route cause. Confused

Post #58401318th Jan 2010 4:54 pm
Gallen11

2008 LR3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Got my units today

Got both units this morning, I use mine on my 08LR3, it worked as advertised. Found all the faults and cleared them. My son will pick his unit up later today for use with his 05LR3. Going to be a great piece of equipment to have in the vehicles.

George

Post #58401618th Jan 2010 4:58 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon

Tried it out quickly on the car last night. Brilliant piece of kit Thumbs Up

8 faults logged in the HEVAC Big Cry Didn't even know there was anything wrong with my air con. Most seemed to be problems with air blenders and stepper motors Question WTF Question

2 faults in the FBH - one failure to start and one low fuel. Cleared them as they weren't caused by anything serious.

Reset them all and didn't notice any difference during the drive to work this morning. Will plug it in at lunchtime and have another play.

Confirmed something I have known since the end of October though ..... my EPB is fecked Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

BTW, tinneyr, it just clears the fault logged in the control unit's memory, not the fault itself. If said fault is caused by a component failure, it will be logged again. For example, my EPB is not working and I think it may be caused by a broken wire in the electrical system (or possibly, as indicated in the fault log, a knackered switch). Obviously, that's not going to be fixed by clearing the fault with the FCR - the same fault will be immediately logged again during the system test.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #58466019th Jan 2010 9:41 am
tinneyr

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Thanks Abourneboy, since the alarms were cleared on monday I have done about 100 miles and not a peak out her, no suspension fault or idling problems. Will still take it back to the garage for a more thorough check on Monday though.

Post #58597620th Jan 2010 7:51 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya all

kariylit
Albourneboy has expressed the situation as well as anyone possibly could.
Sure the FCR is VIN locked

But please do not imagine the VIN lock to be restrictive in any way to any private person buying an FCR and reasonably wanting to move it between vehicles as they exchange or trade up as they wish
I would never have included VIN locking without first ensuring it could be easily move from vehicle to vehicle as FCR owners trade and upgrade them.

As i see it an FCR is a personal asset that a person invests in and while at present, to ensure it is used only personally i might have no alternate but to lock it to the VIN of the vehicle they currently own, but i can assure you that should such person change their vehicle, we will most happily provide then with a cheap and easy means to take the FCR they own with them to over their old vehicles replacement.

So please have no concerns about buying an FCR now and how its VIN locking might have anything to do with your options vehicle wise in the future.

Post #58725622nd Jan 2010 12:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

@ Albourneboy
I am so glad your little bit FCR of magic has finally arrived with you Thumbs Up

As you now know first hand, as opposed to relying on the word of others, it really is quite something huh Razz

Immediately you will notice as a result of using the FCR that your vehicle will have quite a lot of faults listed in the various systems, even if your vehicle works and runs just fine.

The reality is that each and every vehicle nowadays accumulates some sporadic faults during normal running and which can by and large be ignored as day to day momentary bus traffic problems etc. These superflous and meaningless faults do occur however and they do vary from vehicle to vehicle.
It is a factor well known by anyone who regularly looks into the fault listings of particular type of vehicle.

However therin lies a problem and the very reason why i advise anyone to invest in getting their own fault code reading equipment prior to a real fault developing.

It is only after getting to know what is normal with your specific car that anyone can truly spot what is new and abnormal.

Post #58727622nd Jan 2010 12:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Got mine yesterday, many thanks Colin Bow down really fast shipping I must say, I wasn't expecting it to arrive until next week TBH. Found a few faults logged, but vehicle operating / running fine, so I have made a note of them, cleared them, and will ignore them for now, As you say though, absolutely necessary bit of kit for when a REAL fault occurs. Thumbs Up (and now that I've said that, I'll no doubt be inundated with them Laughing )

Post #58774522nd Jan 2010 6:14 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks DN, inundated or not, now you have the power at your disposal to totally sort em out.
And if you don't ever have a problem, think of it as you do car insurance, you hope you will never need that but you spend many times more on that every year, than this little wallet saver.

And at the end of it all with the FCR you can sell it on making the total cost of ownership probably less than one recovery fee.

It's quite understandable how D3 owners quite naturally come to regard the massive amounts of built in self diagnostic technology, designed to detect even the slightest fault and record it forever, given the power to shut things down, go into limp home mode, flash a warning lamp at the driver / owner at the drop of a hat with distain

It's like the Disco 3 is a really great car, when it is running right, but inside each one is a technological demon that strikes fear into every owner and their wallets.

But suddenly you have access to an affordable little tool like the FCR, that now allows you to communicate with your Disco 3, have a bit of a chat, ask how things are on a day to day basis, get to understand the technology and recognize the difference between it just grumbling about the weather as usual, to more serious sounding complaints being noticed. It does not take very long for you to turn that which you once thought of as being a demon, into one of the best and most expert friends you could ever have in respect of keeping your D3 trouble free and tip top at all times.

It's amazing to think that such a vast majority of the technology that is built into the Disco 3 and which is part of its higher than others cost, has only ever benefited the dealer or suitably equipped indies so far.
And sure enough a year ago, those were the only choices.

But here we are and within less than 12 months you now have a sub 200 GBP tool that makes that massive difference between a warning lamp meaning either "brace your cheque book for impact" or "you got mail"

Post #58827923rd Jan 2010 1:37 pm
MJS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi all

I am reading this forum for a long time now because there are very good informations on this forum and you can always find an answer to your question.

I registered because I wanted to have the 10% off option when I buy faultmate FCR for my disco 3.
Because I am a new member I can not send the PM, so I am writing here, especially to Colin:
Can you confirm - Order 1295890278 with Victoria in your admin office from 25.01.2011?
I will really appreciate it.
Martin

Post #75485931st Jan 2011 10:10 pm
Rotorhead

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just ordered mine and can't wait after reading this thread. Mr. Green Just need to read the rest of the forum for all the fixes now.... Neutral

Post #86132221st Nov 2011 12:48 am
lr-80

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Can anyone tell me the differences between the fcr and the hawkeye. Will both direct me to the cause of my intermittent hdc, ABS, epb and adaptive head's light failure? Will the hawkeye clear service indicator?
 1951 Series One 80" 1600cc Deep Bronze Green
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Tonga Green 

Post #86459728th Nov 2011 8:43 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Rotorhead, have you got it yet?
Or are you just too busy enjoying it to post up Rolling with laughter

Hiya lr-80

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the differences between the fcr and the hawkeye.

Although there are a certainly quite a lot of Disco 3 owners with a Faultmate FCR, almost certainly none will also have a Hawkeye. Therefore no one could properly tell you the physical or operational difference.

Therefore if you want to do some pre purchase investigation, you will have to obtain information about each separately.

Fortunately in respect of the FCR, I am the owner of Blackbox Solutions Ltd, and the designer, developer and producer of this. I uniquely make myself publicly available on this forum to personally answer any and all questions and concerns about it.

Of course this also makes me wide open to any complaint or criticism about what we produce and sell, should it ever somehow not satisfy anyone totally or do exactly as promised.

This fact alone should tell you vast amounts about us, and our products.

If you do not know already, you should also appreciate that the FCR is by no means our first and only product and is by no means a work in progress. Our knowledge and understanding of Disco 3 diagnostics is probably second to none, after 15 years of experience producing the very best and most capable equipment there is.

I can therefore tell you that the FCR is childishly simple to use, It is very fast, small, well built and absolutely reliable and dependable. Just what you need in any test equipment.

It does not access just the basic systems, nor read only some fault codes, it will access every single system in your vehicle, regardless of year, version or optionality of systems, IE adaptive headlights Whistle . It access absolutely all the vehicle systems on the High speed CAN BUS, the Low speed CAN BUS and even on the Fibre optic MOST BUS.

It also reads absolutely all Fault codes, intermittent, permanent or whatever and displays their meanings as per even the most expensive Dealer equipment but in about a 50th of the time.

check out this you tube clip of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSDOLxh6ThY

So as long as your vehicles problems are being noted by their ECU's and faults are being stored as a result, which is almost certainly the case, it will ultimately aid you in locating the cause of your problems.

Normally such a capable tool would be very expensive, however the FCR is provided at just under 200 GBP, (10% less with an established member discount) by virtue of the fact that it is produced as a personal tool and so can only be used on your own vehicle.

It does not however reset the service indicator.
For this job we produce another little low cost marvel, that again runs rings around anything else available. It's called the CAN MATE SRT (Service Reset tool) it cost less than 45 GBP (discount also applicable) and not only will it reset the service reminder as per dealer equipment, but of course in the blink of an eye, but also allows you to select from 15 other options that give different reset periods etc. Thumbs Up

Here is a link to a video of that in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXufFsLYpUA

I hope this helps

Post #86543830th Nov 2011 6:24 pm
lr-80

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

BBS SPY. PM sent.
Truls
 1951 Series One 80" 1600cc Deep Bronze Green
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Tonga Green 

Post #86551630th Nov 2011 8:26 pm
Rotorhead

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Colin,
Trust me to choose the cheap postage! Should be here by the weekend though, let the tinkering commence...

Post #86560330th Nov 2011 10:39 pm
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Colin, I would like to know if you get a fault mate extreme for my Disco 3, can I use it on the Disco 4 or Range Rover when I am looking at up grading in a year or so?

Terry

Post #8656851st Dec 2011 9:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >