DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Towing Speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 
Towing Speeds

I have posted this over on RRS as well as here, maybe somebody here can help:

Yesterday afternoon as I was cruising north at a pleasant 70mph on the A9 a huge shadow blotted out the sun and I was overtaken by a D3 towing the most enormous caravan I have ever seen in the UK................. the D3 and rig were on German plates and this thing was not hanging around - I reckon that he must have been doing a good 85 on the dual carriageway (there is a 60 limit on most of the A9 and 70 on the DC bits) the way he just stormed passed the other traffic on the road. Now this got me to thinking................... what if he had had to stop in a bit of a hurry as the A9 is frequented by a lot of tractors at this time of the year and they just barge out from the side roads for the most part.
I always thought that 50mph was the limit for towing anything on a UK road and 70 on the motorway. OK so this guy was definately breaking the law and MUST have driven passed at least 2 if not 3 of the "safety" cars parked on the verges at fast sections taking "photographs" of traffic speeding cars but does anybody know what the speed limits are for towing............. I do very occassionally tow a small trailer loaded with windsurfing gear behind my Sport.
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #5747611th May 2006 6:47 am
horton_graham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

the UK limit is 60.
It used to be, and still may, be 70 for a 4 wheel trailer (not a twin axle but one with whells in each corner if you get my drift.

Post #5747711th May 2006 7:02 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I tow a twin axle, 8 metre caravan and the laws on towing state that the speed limit is 50mph on single carriageway roads, and 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways. In addition, like HGVs, vehicles towing a trailer cannot use the outside lane on a 3-lane motorway to overtake.

Your German caravanner in his D3 must be off his trolley to tow at the sort of speed you say he was. It's downright dangerous! My van weighs in at almost 2 tonnes fully laden - add to that a D3 with (in my case) 5 occupants and a load of luggage and you're looking at a GTW (gross train weight) of something approaching 5 tonnes so it takes a bit of stopping, even with the help of the caravan's brakes. Stability is also an issue - the faster you go the more the 'van is prone to weaving, especially if it's windy, and believe me, even in a Disco you an feel it!

I go to France a lot and am always overtaken by French/Dutch/German caravanners (and a few brits) on the motorways, despite their towing laws being the same as ours so it would seem our EU cousins don't pay these laws much attention (do the French pay any laws much attention????????)
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5747811th May 2006 7:12 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

50, and 60mph is the limit. However, in his ignorance he probably thought he was on the continent, because you can tow a lot faster over there.

I dread to think what his fuel consumption was!

Post #5748211th May 2006 7:34 am
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

He must have had really deep pockets - I noticed that most of the filling stations were looking for £1.10 a litre and some were even more expensive Shocked I filled up at Sainsbury, just off the M9 at Stirling at 97.9ppl and only used 1/4tank for a 240 mile round trip, including some off-road low ratio rock climbing with the Sport!
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #5748711th May 2006 8:01 am
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

It wasn't me, 'onest, Guv!

The general speed limit for caravans in Germany is 80 km/hr. Caravans satisfying certain restrictions (weight ratio, tyres, etc.) are allowed to do 100 kms/hr on motorways and some expressways.

Eric

Post #5748911th May 2006 8:07 am
Pelyma

England 

Its all well and good towing fast and lets face it if the road is long enough the D3 could probably reach a phenominal speed with a caravan on, but it is when it starts to go wrong, you stand no chance of saving it. I often see cars towing vans at 70 - 75 on the motorway, especially if its downhill, they just don't seem to understand Rolling Eyes
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #5753211th May 2006 11:39 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I agree Pelyma. I once witnessed a caravan begin to snake behind its tow car on the A1M where it joins the A1/M1 link road. Don't know what set it off but within 3 or 4 seconds, what started as a fairly gentle weave ended up as a full jackknife. It was a miracle that neither the car nor the caravan turned over and that all the other motorists managed to avoid the incident. The woman driver of the car and the other occupants were badly shaken but apart from that, unhurt. It was just as well that she wasn't doing 70-75mph or things would have been very different. One thing though, I bet they didn't have a stabiliser fitted![/quote]
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5753411th May 2006 11:56 am
al cope

England 

So what is it with the German and Dutch towers. Like some of you, I've towed out twinaxle van down through France for the last few years with my D2, which wasn't a slouch as a towcar (but hope D3 is much better!), and on long straight smooth sections of autoroute have pushed on to 70mph, but have still been passed by our European collegues, usually with big Burstner or Detlefs vans on the back of towcars we would never consider big (heavy) enough.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5753911th May 2006 1:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

Al I think they fall under the impression that because their cars are powerful enough to pull the load they are good towcars. What they forget is that caravans are an unstable load compared to most trailers, so that when the snake starts it pushes them all over the road and finally game over.

If you keep to the 85% rule it doesn't prevent the accident but it sure as hell gives you a chance of recovering.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #5754011th May 2006 1:06 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

al cope wrote:
So what is it with the German and Dutch towers. Like some of you, I've towed out twinaxle van down through France for the last few years with my D2, which wasn't a slouch as a towcar (but hope D3 is much better!),
Alan

Have never towed with a D2 but the D3 is excellent, if a bit heavy on the juice (17 - 19 mpg) though I must admit, mine's an auto which probably doesn't help.

Set the cruise control and 60mph is just effortless and it accelerates pretty smartly too, even with 1900kg in tow. I've been considering the TurboChip upgrade - an extra 50-60 horses would certainly help and would most likely improve the fuel consumption too.

Post #5754211th May 2006 1:20 pm
jkp

Scotland 

I've never towed...ever! But the A9 is dangerous at the best of times. I'm a regular on this road up to Aviemore and have on quite a few occassions had to brake or take avoiding action whilst cruising around 70mph, which is at times heart-stopping Shocked
I cannot imagine how you could safely do that speed and those manouvres with a muckle shed on the back and hope to be safe.... Confused

Maybe someone was trying to beat him to get his towel by the pool at the campsite Wink

Post #5754311th May 2006 1:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

is it compulsory to fit brakes to a caravan in the UK/Europe as in Australia anything over 750 kg (including load + trailer) must be fitted with brakes and having towed my camper I have gotten up the shakes on occassions and just apply the trailer brakes to pull it straight.

Catweasel

Post #5754611th May 2006 1:48 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

catweasel wrote:
is it compulsory to fit brakes to a caravan in the UK/Europe as in Australia anything over 750 kg (including load + trailer) must be fitted with brakes and having towed my camper I have gotten up the shakes on occassions and just apply the trailer brakes to pull it straight.

Catweasel

How do you 'just apply the trailer brakes'? Conjures up visions of hopping out onto the tow hitch and pulling up the handbrake Rolling with laughter

If you do get the snakes, the best advice is to relax your grip on the steering and gently ease off the throttle. What you don't want is the trailer brakes coming on as any braking imbalance will make the snaking worse.

Post #5754711th May 2006 2:09 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Off Topic but my Jensen C-V8 held the 1964 caravan towing speed record, can't remember the figure but I think it was c.110mph.
Anyone know the current record?
evo magazine has an amusing article this month about towing a 4x4 Fiat Panda on a trailer from 0-100 mph. The fierce G-Wagen (AMG or Brabus can't remember) won.

Post #5754811th May 2006 2:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >