Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Towing Speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
jkp

Scotland 

Top Gear tried about a year ago using a Norris Designs Evo7. Serioulsy powerful car See Here but it blew the engine at some daft speed around 140mph'ish IIRC.

Post #5754911th May 2006 3:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

Albourneboy to apply only the trailer brakes you just operate the manual over ride on the brake controller which retards the trailer and straightens the trailer instantly. do you not use or have brake controllers and electric brakes fitted to your trailers/caravans. this is what I have installed in my vehicle
http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html
note at the front bottom the black (partialy obscured) manual overide lever. the brakes work so good on my camper i can even pull the car up without using the car brakes and set it to the max and lockup the camper wheels(1600+ kgs)

Catweasel

Post #5755111th May 2006 4:00 pm
Pelyma

England 

I believe I'm right in saying ours are over run brakes that as the coupling pushes together the brakes are applied, we have no way of applying the caravans brakes manually
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #5755211th May 2006 4:06 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yep, sophisticated trailer brake controllers are like rocking horse droppings in the UK, overrun brakes are the norm
 The End  
Post #5755311th May 2006 4:15 pm
catweasel

Pelyma according to our laws that is all we reqiure also or an electric system. Obviously the electric system is superior in that it gives the driver total control of the trailer while seated and off road hill descents are easier as you apply the trailer brakes and dont get shoved downhill. It can make descents easier too believe it or not

Catweasel

Post #5755411th May 2006 4:16 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
but my Jensen C-V8 held the 1964 caravan towing speed record, can't remember the figure but I think it was c.110mph.
Anyone know the current record?
evo magazine has an amusing article this month about towing a 4x4 Fiat Panda on a trailer from 0-100 mph. The fierce G-Wagen (AMG or Brabus can't remember) won.

Just found this on www.guinnessworldrecords.com

Quote:
Fastest Caravan tow
A Mercedes Benz S600 driven by Eugene Herbert (South Africa) reached a speed of 223.881 km/h (139.113 mph) towing a standard caravan at Hoedspruit Air Force Base, South Africa, on October 24, 2003. The record attempt was arranged by Risk Administrative Consultants.

Rather him than me. I wonder how much longer it'll be before someone tries to beat that using a Taureg V10 diesel Question
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5769812th May 2006 7:58 am
al cope

England 

Thats probably no where near as scary as the bloke with the B reg Montego deisel estate and the old Sprite on the back I see every bank holiday on the M5 heading for Weston-s-Mare Laughing

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5770412th May 2006 8:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >