DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Bilstens on a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Bilstens on a D3

Hi Guys,

A trip from Sydney to Dubbo over the w/e showed up an annoying lack of high speed dampening. It manifest itself on the Mitchell Hwy. hitting the cracks and bumps at 110kph+ gave a hard shock tranfere to the seats and made for a trying trip.
(I know that high speed dampening refers to the speed of the wheel movement and not the kph)
It seemed the suspension was not able to absorb the peak load and transfered the extra shock to the driver.
This has not accured on the Monaro Hwy on snow trips or 4wding. I was traveling light with just two small passengers and onight gear.
If anyone has fitted aftermarket shocks such as Bilstens i would be interested in the feedback

Cheers
David

Post #56822421st Dec 2009 6:03 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There are also Konis and the Greek ones. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #56823221st Dec 2009 7:14 am
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks,
i looked into the Greek conection and it seemed a little obscure. Support in Australia could be an issue. The Konis are definitly an option as they have adjustable dampening.
Its a big investment and you dont know how they will go till after you have spent the dollars. So hence my enquiry.

David

Post #56862421st Dec 2009 9:45 pm
catweasel

if you do choose the konis better buying them from overseas. they are almost half the price of what I was quoted

Post #56873922nd Dec 2009 1:40 am
caverD3

I heard that Bilstein are the manufacturers for the D4?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #56875622nd Dec 2009 5:13 am
Jamo

Australia 

The greek ones are expensive, but very very good and the support is the same.

I bent one at the bottom eye, emailed Spyros and a new one was sent immediately from Greece.

(which reminds me, I must go to the post office tomorrow and send the bent one back to be checked.)
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #56883422nd Dec 2009 10:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco Driver

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hey Davo

I've had Bilstein's fitted to my 06 and are happy with them. The LR mechanic I see recommended them over the genuine LR replacements.

The originals faulted and developed a very annoying knocking noise off road and anytime the vehicle went over a bump at low speed. E.g. entering a driveway.

The terrain response seems to be working well with them also.

Cheers, Justin.

Post #57030726th Dec 2009 5:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I was just snooping around on eBay in UK and spotted this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONI-FSD-KIT-SHOCK-A...35a3c36774

495 quid for all four.

Not sure how much the Bilsteins or Spyros shocks are.

So now there are four choices:
1) LR
2) Bilsteins
3) Koni
4) Spyros

Enjoy!

Post #5737364th Jan 2010 5:10 am
catweasel

jonesy63 wrote:
495 quid for all four.
minus 15% vat plus150 pounds for postage.  
Post #5737404th Jan 2010 6:12 am
caverD3

Disco Driver wrote:
The originals faulted and developed a very annoying knocking noise off road and anytime the vehicle went over a bump at low speed. E.g. entering a driveway.

You want to keep an eye on the bushes as well. ARB or lower control arm bush wear can cuase the same knocking.

Original shocks will allow a lot more bounce as they are made to a price. Aftermarket always make a big difference.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #5737424th Jan 2010 6:21 am
Disco Driver

carverD3,

Thanks, I know about the lower arm bushes as I first had them replaced prior to the struts...

Since my previous response I've completed my first trip to Batemans Bay via the Clyde since the strut replacement. The improvement in vehicle handling is clearly noticeable, I was able to stick to the speed limit around the majority of bends.....

Cheers, JK

Ps. pair of front bilstein struts cost me $634.60 plus seal kit $103.75 - total $738.35 (plus GST)

Post #5737504th Jan 2010 7:34 am
caverD3

Disco Driver wrote:
The improvement in vehicle handling is clearly noticeable, I was able to stick to the speed limit around the majority of bends.....

Rolling with laughter It's good with the OEM struts so it must be fun.

Disco Driver wrote:
Ps. pair of front bilstein struts cost me $634.60 plus seal kit $103.75 - total $738.35 (plus GST)

Where did you get them and how much was install?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #5737534th Jan 2010 7:44 am
Disco Driver

i got them through a local (private) LR mechanic in Canberra, PM me for the actual name if you want.

I had a few other things done at the time & the invoice shows a total labour amount. From memory the time allocated to the strut fit was around 5 hours, this included the wheel & height alignment etc. So around $575.00 for the install.

Post #5737554th Jan 2010 8:01 am
caverD3

Thanks Disco Driver, gives a good idea on the total cost. Thumbs Up
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #5737614th Jan 2010 8:50 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Bilstien's on a D3

The Koni's with their so called 'FSD' look interesting - as per the above link. I'm certain my shocks are a fair way from neding replacing yet, but what are people finding re the average OEM shock life?
Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #57811210th Jan 2010 9:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >