Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Blackbox Solutions

New low cost BBS Fault Code tool launched
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It works that well and that fast i actually plugged mine back into my D4 today to make sure i was not imagining it Mr. Green
Seriousley tho i was working on my D4 today and needed to see if a fault was logged and it was faster and far more pratical to get out my FCR from the glove box than it was to set up any of my other tools with a laptop etc

I know i said it in a email to you Colin but f**k i cant belive how fast it is in real life.

Pete

Post #57925011th Jan 2010 10:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
timv8

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Colin,

Apologies if i missed the answer in all the posts/replies, but someone else asked if this tool can also reset the service indicator, or do you need your seperate tool for that?

Thanks, Tim
 Tim  
Post #5958442nd Feb 2010 10:52 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Fault reading only ..no service reset with this tool .

They do another tool for setting service light ..about £50
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #5958482nd Feb 2010 10:58 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yea
What he said Laughing
and very nice it is too Very Happy

Post #5958883rd Feb 2010 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I'm curious about the differences between this tool and the Hawkeye tool?
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #5959333rd Feb 2010 6:09 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

I can cover the basic facts for you sideview, but bear in mind i am bound to be naturally biased, so please feel free to check my facts and info for yourself. Thumbs Up

The Hawkeye costs about twice what the FAULTMATE FCR does, bearing in mind the forum discount and the additional cost of the extra lead the Hawkeye lists in the fine print.

The Faultmate FCR comes complete with all the leads required including one to connect its USB port to the PC so it can be upgraded or have its language changed.

The Hawkeye requires you to purchase an additional lead for the Disco 3, as mentioned, it has no lead included (or listed as an optional extra) to connect it to a PC, and interestingly enough the unit actually has no connector on it anywhere other than the one used to plug the OBDII lead into it.
Shocked
And yes i do have a Hawkeye somone traded in. Whistle

The Faultmate FCR covers the vehicle entirely, absolutely all possible vehicle systems on both High and Low speed CAN busses as well as the fibre optic MOST bus, including all options in all markets.

Here is the list:
V8 Petrol Engine Management
V6 Petrol Engine Management (Fitted in certain markets)
V6 Turbocharged Diesel Engine Management
Central Junction Box / Body Control Unit
ABS / ETC
Park Brake Module
Electronic Air Suspension
Restraints Control Module (Airbag)
Occupant Classification Sensor (fitted to LR3 (NAS) only)
Transmission Control Module (Auto Box)
Transfer Box Control Module
Rear Differential Control Module
Heating Ventilation and AC
Fuel Burning Heater
Instrument Pack High Line
Instrument Pack Low Line
Adaptive Front Lighting System
Integrated Head Unit (Radio) High Line
Integrated Head Unit (Radio) Low Line
Audio Amplifier Module
Satellite Radio Module
LCD / Touch Screen Display (Front Electronics Module)
Rear Entertainment Module
DVD Player
Traffic Message Channel
Television Module
Telephone
Steering Angle Sensor
All Terrain Control Module
Cruise Control
Parking Distance Control
Tyre Pressure Monitor

The Hawkeye literature lists :
Diesel Engine Management
Petrol Engine Management
Vehicle Dynamics Control Module (ABS)
Ride Level Control Module (ABS)
Body Controller (this it the one requiring the extra lead)
Park Brake Module

The FCR can potentially do much more, but at present it is limited to just reading and clearing fault codes which it does so fast, uttering expletives during use is not uncommon. Mr. Green

The Hawkeye lists that it does "Live Data" and "ECM Data" on all 6 systems and actuators on the EPB and EAS
I have no idea as to exactly how many and what values and actuations it does, and you would have to contact them for clarification.

Because it is introduced at such a low price point, as a personal level tool intended to benefit private owners and enthusiasts specifically, the FCR does lock itself to the the VIN of its owners Vehicle. However this is not designed to be an only ever on that car restriction and so for a very small admin fee, we will email a small program out that will release the VIN lock and allow the unit to re learn another vehicle of the same model or even a different model.

We have now also implimented the ability to have the FCR learn a few VIN's and support multiple models at the same time.

The Hawkeye does not do this Vin Locking.

The Hawkeye can have additional models added to it at a fee and this extends to the entire model range. Where the same is true of the FCR but it is not planned to extend its capability to cover the very oldest of LR Models.

The FCR was developed and is built and supported entirely in house by us, Blackbox Solutions Ltd, we sponsor this site, and have specialized exclusively in the development and supply of dedicated Land Rover diagnostic equipment for over 10 years.

The Hawkeye is Designed and Manufactured exclusively for Bearmach by Omitech Ltd using their experience in Land Rover Diagnostics.

Omitech used to supply Land Rover with the Testbook equipment that they were using before the days of Ford ownership, IDS and CAN bus diagnostic technology.

Hope that covers the basics, and i have managed to just stick to the facts. Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #5960223rd Feb 2010 12:01 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Haha thank you BBSS, clears up the differences greatly! Thumbs Up
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #5960763rd Feb 2010 1:50 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks sideview,

I worked hard on that Whistle
I know i am known for long winded posts and i really just wanted to say, It sucks, We rock, but then that's not very professional now is it Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

And in fairness, as i pointed out, there are other aspects that may well matter to some Whistle Whistle Whistle

Last edited by BBS SPY on 7th Feb 2010 8:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5962953rd Feb 2010 7:38 pm
mehari

Belgium 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi BBS Spy,

Great addition ! I do have a MSV-2 FCO and I guess this ones does the job for way less... I have already enjoyed the FC advantages, so I can only recommend to anyone to by this and keep in the glovebox, watherver a call to LR assistance may cost...

Will you, by any chance, or fairness to the early adopters, make some special deals to move from MSV2 FCO to MSV2 fully fitted ?

That would be super and I'm not sure this would harm your business, to the contrary...
 A second D3 ! This time with all whistles and bells (Auto, 7seats, Diff Lock, RAI, all kinds of protections, winch, Extended range tank, iPod adapter....)
First time twice the same car ! and first time third car of the same brand !

I'm loving it ! 

Post #5988937th Feb 2010 8:25 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Mehari

As far as an MSV-2 FCO system goes, this new faultmate FCR does do the same job for a bit less, but then that is a total advantage to any Faultmate-MSV-2 FCO owner. in that they do have a cheap enough upgrade path to a full capability MSV-2 system that FCR owners do not.

We do not intend to reduce the price of our Flag ship full MSV-2 system, only to make it better and more valued over that of just a Fault code reading and clearing system, be that an FCR or FCO system. The only difference being that an FCO system owner can pay but the difference to upgrade to full capability that an FCR owner cannot.

Given the introduction of the FCR we do intend to discontinue the availability of the MSV-2 based FCO shortly.

Post #5989287th Feb 2010 8:48 pm
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Given that this device locks itself to your VIN, is there a way to port it to a new car if you trade your Disco in for another one somewhere down the line? I don't fancy buying one of these every time I change the car...

Post #5989497th Feb 2010 9:04 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Ndsykes

Thanks for your question.
Our aim has never been to provide a cheap "Per Car" system but instead a cheap "Per owner" system.
If you have not picked up on this aspect thus far, let me state for the record that i am very Much "one of the guys." I love my disco 3, and i especially love modifying it as much as anyone could. And i want to be able to share and provide the same capability to any other D3 lover.

It is truly sad and annoying to us, as well as you, that to stop independent business enterprises from befitting from the great power and capability of our system at the low cost we offer, that we have to add some kind of usage restriction as VIN locking.

So the very least we can do is to make it as trouble free as possible to allow genuine owners to port their Diagnostic system to other cars.

There may well be a small admin fee, but otherwise, there is no restriction imposed on you changing your vehicle and taking your MSV-2 or FCR diagnostic system with you.

It is also no small thing that by virtue of this board you have an ability to directly communicate with the guy in absolute charge of any company.

Post #5989877th Feb 2010 9:37 pm
robertofollia

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I did not know anything about the FCR but after having read the reports and description I can say it's impressive and rocks.
I only knew about the Hawkeye, which don't own, and about the cheapo OBD readers, of which I have one in My Disco2.
Being almost the only D3V8 owner in Spain (I guess there are 5 more, at least 3 of them are known to me) and feeling a bit lost in a diesel D3 ocean, the FCR would be the ideal multitask device to carry in the glovebox,
and it's much more portable than the Hawkeye.
The VIN lock does not pose any problem for me as I don't plan to ever sell my D3, as I won't be able to replace with anything petrol-powered as LR has deleted the petrol engine options for Europe.

So keep an eye, Colin, as very soon I might be placing my order. My D3 came out of warranty the 13th december so I will be able to DIYise it a little bit more..

Keep on improving and best regards from Spain
Robert
 Regards, Robert
Only a closed filling station can prevent me from reaching my destination
1992 Santana 88"SWB petrol
1995 RRClassic 300Tdi
1999 D2 V8 manual coiler
2004 D2 Td5... SOLD!
2006 D3 V8 SE 

Post #5999869th Feb 2010 1:59 pm
chris d3

United Kingdom 

ive got fcr very pleased well worth the money and peace of mind to have it handy cheers colin Very Happy Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #6004569th Feb 2010 10:27 pm
daimlermg

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
couple of questions

My car is being built mid March so I am getting to know as much as I can before delivery because at the end of April Very Happy with only 4 weeks of ownership I am going on a 3000 mile trip to Southern Europe towing a caravan For some reason I am feeling very brave.

It strikes me I ought to have a FCR with me having broken down in RR’s before so I have a couple of questions.

Are the Fault code self-explanatory and it is just a matter of clearing / resetting them hoping they don’t come back and if they do it’s a job For the LRA or off to the Dealer if the car is drivable?.

Can I change the language at will or is it a once only change using the Laptop to match the Country I am in.? It will be useful to show the readout to the LRA or Dealer in his own language
 Faultmate MSV-2
500,000 plus miles in RR,s and trying for more without breakdowns this time Smile
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's
Had for 40 years but now gone 1935 Daimler and 1937 MG 

Post #60896923rd Feb 2010 9:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >