Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

3rd row seat removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
csory

Hungary 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
3rd row seat removal

Today collected my spanking new TDV6 HSE auto. Permagrin mode on Very Happy Got only 30 miles but already feel a lot more confident offroad than the T-Reg ever was. Interestingly power feels better than I remembered from the testdrive, just a notch behind the VW R5 which was tuned above 200HP. Don't feel the need to chip (WDS13p3, manufactured march).

Now back to the "technical": already found a manufacturing fault... The monkey assembling the rearmost (6-7) seats installed the small metallic tab (which moves the belt clip out of way while closing the seat) upside down Sad Then another monkey forced the seat closed, effectively tearing the mechanism apart Crying or Very sad And none of the test monkeys noticed it so I got my car delivered with this fault. Evil or Very Mad Just found this when tried to jam in grandpa/grandma and the two kids for a test-joyride. Now I cannot use the 7th (rear right) seat as when I open it the belt clip remains under it.

Dealer will need ages to replace, so would rather find a way to fix it - at least temporarily. Does anyone know how to remove the 3rd row seat/s? (Drawings maybe?)

Post #5337413th Apr 2006 11:12 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

MMmm .... I would view this as a definite warranty claim without any doubt. Don't try to fix it yourself..... take it back and get the dealer to give you a replacement Disco3 until fixed. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5337614th Apr 2006 12:31 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would agree. Certainly in the UK, any attempt to perform a "fix" that is clearly the responsibility of the manufacturer to resolve may invalidate the warranty conditions.
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #5337714th Apr 2006 12:44 am
adara

Romania 

The problem with service in Eastern European countries is they have no clue as to what needs to be done, so most of the time they do more harm than good. Like scratching my steering wheel while they were looking for the steering knock. So yes, I would try to fix some minor problem myself too... By the way, I found some loose screws and some other metal and plastic parts in the back under the 3rd row seats the first time I used them. They really need to motivate those assembly guys...

Post #5338714th Apr 2006 7:34 am
csory

Have to agree with Adara... Dealers are sparse (the closest takes about one hour and a half just to get there), i would have to waste 2 full working days (one to let them identify the problem and another one to replace the seats once they receive the parts), no replacement car here (yeah, we have the privilege to pay more and receive less...)

Anyway, I still love it. Family loves it. Everybody loves it Very Happy Today morning fired up the engine (3rd time all in all...) and got an "access height selected" light. I'm sure I have NOT set it to access height, does the car lower itself for some convenience reason?! (I mean, could it be a "feature" rather than a bug?) Later, while driving, also got a boing without any message on the console. Felt a bit spooky Shocked

If/when take an attempt to fix the seat will send a photoblog, just to entertain fellow forum members Laughing

Post #5339714th Apr 2006 9:45 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Removal of the 3rd row seats is not a hard job.

You need a Torx T50 bit and ratchet.

When you undo all of the bolts the rear seats removed from the rear in one piece. Don't even think about splitting them into 2 parts. You will need to have a second person to help you lift them out because they are very heavy and it is quite awkward to manouver out.

Good luck

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #5341914th Apr 2006 11:55 am
adara

Romania 

Csory, it is not normal for the car to change height by itself... And the bong could be the exterior temperature, it bongs at 4 deg. Celsius. It scares me every time, they really should change the temperature bong sound...

Post #5342814th Apr 2006 1:46 pm
csory

Thanks guys. I have obtained the LR technical docs+drawings about seat removal - and I will have to split them, as the retainer is between the two seats (i.e. drill out the rivets). Will let you know...

As for the bong, it was around 15 degrees so it was definitely not an ice warning... The access height remains a mistery for now Confused

Post #5343214th Apr 2006 2:21 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Did you have anything on the passenger seat? It took me ages to work out why every time I went around a corner the car would "bong" with no light visible when I looked down. Then realised it was bag moving on passenger seat making the switch.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #5343914th Apr 2006 4:39 pm
csory

DiscoStu: Good point... I had my backpack on the passenger seat, which is quite light (maybe 5lbs or so) but I guess that may be the culprit... Will make sure not to leave anything there and see if it reoccurs.

Post #5348314th Apr 2006 10:30 pm
csory

The saga ends here...

This evening decided to bite the bullet and fix this problem myself... (Thanks for a helpful friend posting me the tech docs! Wink ) Below are the images of the procedure, the whole dis/fix/reassembly took 3 hours, with lot of head-scratching and taking a few breaks...

1. This is how it looked before starting 3rd row removal. Notice the belt clip position - it is unusable.

2. 3rd row seats removed

3. The badly damaged clip retainer, along with the good one.

4. Lucky me, it was made of mild steel, survived the re-aligning process (using a vice, pliers, hammer and lots of swears....)

5. Next time I will apply these tapes to cover the side boot lining _BEFORE_ removing 3rd row seats... Sad

6. Everything back in place, belt clip now fine.

Okay, that's all folks... Problem solved Very Happy But wait... What is that subtle sloshing sound from under the car when starting? (Maybe fuel tank?!) Question

Post #5348614th Apr 2006 10:57 pm
adara

Romania 

great job csory! land rover should be thankful for such clients...
what do you mean by sloshing sound? i am always amazed by the noise the engine fan is making at the start, for maybe 10 seconds...

Post #5349515th Apr 2006 7:23 am
csory

Huh... Yeah, I can hear it right after engine startup. I t sounds like fluid flowing in a pipe / sloshing in a tank. Thugh quite subtle, as well can be a fan or the AC... Question

Post #5354315th Apr 2006 3:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >