DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Ball Joints and Anti Roll Bar Bushes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
c928jon

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Ball Joints and Anti Roll Bar Bushes

Hi

I've just done these on the drive after reading the guides on here for advice. I thought i'd add a few of my experiences.

Ball Joints

Buy a serious ball joint splitter, all mine suitable for normal duty died getting a very stubborn OS one out.

When you get the new ball joints, put them straight in the freezer, a bit of gentle heat on the arm and they tap in rather than hammer in.

A 2"bsp pipe socket slides over the joint nicely, with a 2"nipple screwed in it replicates the LR tool perfectly.

Anti Roll Bar Bushes

FOS: Move the fuel cooler (1 10mm bolt at the top) very easy to break hose connectors if you dont. Its much easier with it moved out of the way.

FNS: If you remove the three bolts holding the mount to the front diff (place a small piece of wood between chassis and diff to support) you can move the mount over slightly creating some room to get at the top bolt (AKA you little B"£$^TARD)

Rears: Loads of WD40 and small wire brush to clean up the exposed part of the bolt, they bind something chronic and limited space to get a decent size ratchet in.

A jack under the bottom arm was great for raising the roll bar rather than huge levers, just raise enough so the bar levels out and you get loads of room and can move the roll bar about by hand.

Hopefully I've added a little to the guides on here, but there is every chance all the above is already there but I cant read Laughing

Off to Halfrauds to replace everything I broke yesterday (dont try this with a Tesco Value Tool Kit)

Post #4913235th Jul 2009 8:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >