wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Pull hard
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #63602614th Apr 2010 9:27 pm
DustinR

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Rich,

It definitely takes some brute force. I found it easiest to first get the side out closest to the passenger door by pushing the glove box from behind, as suggested by Wiggs. I then used a screwdriver and pried the side closest to the stereo. I placed the screwdriver between the glove box and the frame at the top of the glove box. By both prying and pulling really hard it finally came loose. I didn't have to remove the framing around the stereo. Hope this helps.

Dustin

Post #63629115th Apr 2010 1:49 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just cured the farting (on the D3 before any comments)

I followed Wiggs excellent instructions, and it was really easy, except for the right amount of effort to pull off the trim bits, I seriously thought something was going to break and cost me loads of £'s - and then bang, it comes off as described. (and thankfully intact)

I used a can of white lithium spray (PTFE enriched) with its little red tube, on this I pushed a leghth of 1.5mm electrical earth sleeve (the green/yellow oversleeve) and another red tube, this worked a treat, one or two quick squirts and bliss - NO more farting Thumbs Up

Refitting the dash trim is very easy, just line up the clips and push-fit Thumbs Up

SWMBO is now looking for a much bigger tube for another fart problem Shocked (had to be said before someone else chirped in) Rolling with laughter
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #63877420th Apr 2010 5:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I just cured the dreaded RRS fart using Wiggs' process - for some reason couldn't see the white lever from underneath the glovebox in the RRS - too much stuff in the way.
I actually managed to get my finger on the offending lever and spread some grease on it. After a couple of cycles, it's as quiet as it should be. Thumbs Up

Post #63880620th Apr 2010 7:11 pm
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Got it Done Smile
Jeeze U do have to pull it hard!
Then retrieve any of the clips that fell off!

Spray Silicon lubricant at the offending white lever. I found a small penlite torch good for lighting the spot.
Start motor, Turn Climate control on 28 degrees, turn Climate control off then back on a few times.
Fixed.
Thanks for the help.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #64058524th Apr 2010 12:57 pm
rannila

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Job done with silicone spray, no more fun while driving with kids...
It wasn't too easy to fit hand and try to understand what part needs to be lubricated.
I kept my hand there Embarassed and turned the temperature from low to high, just to
feel how the lever moves.

I took a photo from that "farting stick", I flipped the photo horizontally, so now it looks like from
RHD vehicle.

Click image to enlarge

Post #64135126th Apr 2010 7:24 pm
filo

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

got rid of the fart without assuming the carbosylane Laughing
thank to all of you contributors for the suggested cerrect silicon based treatment

Filippo

Post #69446819th Sep 2010 1:21 pm
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

My D3 farts as well. With the A/C on full cold (both sides) Mrs gets nice cold air, whilst I get lukewarm. Any idea if this is related to my farting problem? If so, I shall attempt Sir Wigg's solution.

If not, anyone have any ideas? The A/C was drained/recharged in October so should be OK.

Post #77994529th Mar 2011 8:36 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The left and right hand temperatures are controlled by a servo stepper motor on each side of the centre vertical console, I think, from my adventures in the removal of the dashboard last weekend. A fair few hours to work out what comes apart and how.

If someone else here agrees with what I've assumed, I'll take some photos this weekend of what's located where, and post them in my gallery as my dashboard currently remains half stripped, awaiting a new servo motor to come from the almighty TLO.

Post #77996229th Mar 2011 9:05 pm
JeremyDerek

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Thanks a ton for the photos Wiggs. Everything was mirror imaged from the photos on the LHD. Silence at last. Won't be able to blame it on SWMBO anymore though. Guess it's worth it.

Post #78072731st Mar 2011 3:09 pm
amosier23

2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

JeremyDerek wrote:
Thanks a ton for the photos Wiggs. Everything was mirror imaged from the photos on the LHD. Silence at last. Won't be able to blame it on SWMBO anymore though. Guess it's worth it.

Ok, I can see the white lever and I'm spraying it with silicone spray but I'm still getting the farting noise!!! I can see it moving back and forth when I hit the recirculate button but it sounds the same. Am I not spraying the correct spot to spray? Or maybe it takes some time to set in?

Post #86509429th Nov 2011 10:08 pm
JeremyDerek

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

It should go silent pretty much instantly. All that I can recomend is that you make sure that you're actually hitting the pivot that has been circled in the photo. I was able to get my finger on it as it moved which helped me find the right spot. I actually used some synthetic bicycle grease and just put a small glob of it on my finger and kinda mashed it into the middle of the pivot point. Just be sure that the pivot point that you're hitting is moving on both sides, as in not the one on the left in the photo. Everything will be mirror image from the photo if you're left hand drive. Hope this helps.

Post #8671145th Dec 2011 4:35 am
johndmobley

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Barolo BlackLR3

I took a good, long look at the upper glovebox liner yesterday. It is in there very solid. I am reluctant to pull (in fear of breaking something). Is it for sure that you just use brute force to pull out this liner? How is it anchored in? Should I pry with a screwdriver?

Help. I really want to get to that actuator rod and get some grease on the farting linkage.....

Post #99066017th Oct 2012 12:25 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Well, cured the farting this afternoon. Thanks to all members that have made this thread.

To anyone that has to do this - you do need to pull hard to release the internal panels. Watch out for the clips that fly through the air. One of mine broke, so will add a few spares to the next order from TLO.

The "black furry" internal box for the glove box was the hardest to remove. There are only 4 clips - two on left side and two on right side. Nothing along top and bottom. It is only the internal box, not the door that you are trying to remove. Whistle

Tools used as follows. The screwdrivers had tape around them to protect the panels - already removed before I took photo. Note the "Narpy Torch" Bow down

2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #117748925th Oct 2013 3:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >