Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Farting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dash needs to be removed. Shocked My dealer found a way of doing it by undoing to dash and tipping it out of the way. Still a PITA.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #48670225th Jun 2009 9:21 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I re-greased mine, and it solved the fart. For those out of warranty this may be the way to go.

Granted its a Censored of a job, but with the right homemade tool, a torch, and a bit of patience you can do it.
I considered asking my 7 year-old to help, but he was unavailable due to PS commitments Smile so I made an L-shaped tool out of a strip of aluminium. A steel coathanger would probably work too. You just need something long enough to spread some grease in the inside of the plastic lever.

I didn't take pics, but once you remove the lower glovebox, its easy to identify the offending part by sound if you switch the ignition on and cycle the recirculate button.

What I did was:

Open up the lower glovebox, and fold it down to the floor.

Identify the air-mixer flap lever - its white plastic and situated on the right hand side (towards the centre of the vehicle) and towards the top of the air box. Using a torch will definitely help. switch the recirculate button on and off while you look for it

Take some light grease ( I used blue bellray waterproof grease, cos its plastic-friendly), put a glob on the end of your L-shaped tool, and with extreme dexterity you can spread the grease on the inside of the lever. You will have to activate the recirculate flap in-between tries with the grease so that it gets worked-in behind the flap rod, and voila, no more noise.

How long this fix lasts, I have no clue, but a month down the line its still silent

Post #48672125th Jun 2009 9:54 am
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Great description mate - might give this a go as dealer wanted nearly £400 to fix properly Bow down
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #48674925th Jun 2009 10:50 am
caverD3

What about sqirting some silicone lube from a can, they have a long nozzle which may make things easier. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #48679825th Jun 2009 12:43 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

...remember to wear protective goggles if doing that from underneath; sounds like a neat idea though and I'm sure with some ingenuity the tube could be extended Thumbs Up

Baben, nice instructions; I didn't know it could be reached from underneath; I was expecting to have to drill through the aircon housing to reach it with a stick load of grease Laughing
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #48684025th Jun 2009 2:50 pm
Latouv

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Keswick GreenDiscovery 3
Heater noise and vibration

Have the same noise problem from the heater system, but additionally as the heater motor is speeded up a vibration and noise set in. Thought it was the blower motor but that seems OK. The noise and vibration vary when going round corners so perhaps there is something flapping around in the system. Anybody got any ideas on this one?

Post #49955824th Jul 2009 9:02 pm
Baben

The recirculate flap is on the top of the fan/heater box assembly, and you could presumably drop something in there, but I doubt it would happen under normal circumstances cos the glovebox closes up against the gap - do you think something may have dropped in from your glovebox if it was overfull and squashed closed?

Otherwise your fan assembly is unbalanced for some reason

Oh, and by the way, my flatulence problem is still sorted, another month and a bit later

Post #49967125th Jul 2009 6:33 am
Baben

Spraying silicon from a can

Caver - I tried spraying silicon into the offending joint, but this didn't work at all, even after a few tries.
I suspect the gap between the actuator and rod is too big, also you would need to get the silicon sprayed in at the precisely correct angle for it to work. The grease seems to work itself in after a couple of cycles

Post #49967225th Jul 2009 6:36 am
caverD3

I suppose it was worth try. Laughing Now we know it doesn't work.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #49967325th Jul 2009 6:43 am
Latouv

Baben wrote:
The recirculate flap is on the top of the fan/heater box assembly, and you could presumably drop something in there, but I doubt it would happen under normal circumstances cos the glovebox closes up against the gap - do you think something may have dropped in from your glovebox if it was overfull and squashed closed?

Otherwise your fan assembly is unbalanced for some reason

Oh, and by the way, my flatulence problem is still sorted, another month and a bit later

Have dropped the lower glove box and there is certainly nothing "foreign" in the system. When the vibration and noise are there the casing of the fan is quite stable. Anybody have knowledge of the routine to get further access to this area - other than stripping out the whole dash?

Post #49969725th Jul 2009 9:24 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I think I have the same fart, I tought first it was the leather seats, but it does it now too when I am alone.
Can you also reach the offending part in a LHD car? From the lower glovebox or do I try from the driversite?
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #49980025th Jul 2009 6:48 pm
Latouv

Roel wrote:
I think I have the same fart, I tought first it was the leather seats, but it does it now too when I am alone.
Can you also reach the offending part in a LHD car? From the lower glovebox or do I try from the driversite?

I have LHD and the heater assembly and fan are located on the passenger side of the car, under the glove box.

Post #49980125th Jul 2009 6:51 pm
caverD3

Unfortunately you need to undo the dash to get behind if you lean the dash backwards you can get at it, rather than removing it from the vehicle. Dealer says they have found no easier wy of doing it. Crying or Very sad
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #49992526th Jul 2009 12:52 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

SPOTTER wrote:
they all seem to do it eventually....characterful Wink
did someone call me Rolling with laughter  
Post #49993126th Jul 2009 1:28 am
JR

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Well... we are a funny bunch aren't we. Having just read this thread, my wife come through to see what's got me going. I showed her all your comments - needless to say, she too nearly fell off her chair laughing - but then asked what you all were on about...!

Now, up until several minutes ago, I was aware of a noise coming from behind the cubby-hole, but had no idea what it was... and took her out to the car, switched on the fan.... and low and behold... we're a member of the club...

Post #50015826th Jul 2009 9:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >