Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disc/pad horrors - advice required!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The gometry set mode is done by dealers UDS computer. It locks the air suspenion to a tighter tolerances so the alignment is more accurate.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #48806228th Jun 2009 3:32 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

From what you've said, my guess is that the tyres were probably legal when you bought the car, so you probably don't have much you can come-back on that, and possibly this was reflected in the price (D3 may have been 4-800 quid more if it had new tyres?).

However, assuming you bought the car at a fair price (ie not trade) my understanding is that you are covered by a load of statutory rights anyway. These 3/6 months "warranties" that some independent dealers offer can be just nonsense, and I think only really a reflection as to how much arguing you'll need to do with them if you find a fault in the first 6 months. Within the first 6 months, the responsibility is on the dealer to prove that a fault didn't exist when you bought the car. Your statutory rights cover far more than any warranty. Don't know how this works with consumables such as brakes etc...

I'd give your local trading standards a call - they're really helpful. They'll give you all the advice you need and explain how to try and resolve this, with advice about what to say and how to word any letters. If you do have a case to pursue, then you'll need to have exhausted all avenues with the dealer and given then every opportunity to rectify the fault before hand.

Perhaps they have a pre-sales check-sheet that details the amount of pad/disc left?

If this is the only fault with the car, and you've paid £3-4K less than the dealer price, and it costs you £400 for new discs and pads all round, but they were just about OK when they left the dealer, but you just wore them out - you've probably done all right Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #48847429th Jun 2009 9:51 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

[double post removed] Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Last edited by John C on 29th Jun 2009 10:09 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #48847529th Jun 2009 9:51 am
Reggieb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Whistle Double post, stone him. Exclamation Exclamation
Thumbs Up
 TDV6 HSE - Light Guards - White Reflective Sticker
Club--Engel
Club--Satnav on the move (Thanks Pete)
Club--Kumho KL71 (265/70 17) they kick!
Club--Three Musketeers
Club--GNVP Sump Guard (The nuts)
Disco3Club
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. 

Post #48848329th Jun 2009 10:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Hi, would not it have been a better move to have returned your Disco to the supplying dealer, show him what was wrong and to have given him the opportunity to do the repairs etc. I would expect the dealer to be quite hostile when presented with a fait accompli situation. Neutral Neutral

Post #48850029th Jun 2009 10:20 am
blowpipe

England 

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I've had expert advice on this.

Whilst it appears that the tyre(s) may not be in play owing to the fact that they were just legal or I can't prove any damage was pre-existant, the brakes are certainly are as there's evidence of long term damage. The discs are badly scored by the dodgy pads and should have been picked up on any inspection - my expert reckons that they were close to failure.

I'm got the dealer calling me back tomorrow when he'll be given the opportunity to make amends, as I really want to keep this civilised as we all make mistakes. If not, it'll be straight to Trading Standards.

Post #48877329th Jun 2009 8:11 pm
blowpipe

England 

Update on this. I had had enough stalling from the dealer, and was on the point of offloading it to Surrey Trading Standards, just awaiting a report from an Advanced Vehicle Examiner who had taken an extremely dim view of the condition of the brakes and pads......

A cheque for enough to cover brakes and a proportion of another issue involving a dodgy door lock arrived today together with a defensive letter, so I'll take a tactical view on this and call it a day. He'll get a response in due course (with the report) which should give him a sharp nudge in the right direction. I've learned he isn't on the dodgy trader list, but needs to be aware that he's missed a Trading Standards 'quick win' by a whisker.

If you're not dealing with a 'main' dealer, be aware! Not sure what the naming and shaming policy here is, but if anyone is contemplating buying from a Byfleet based dealer offering prestige vehicles, please PM me before you do a deal....

Post #4931308th Jul 2009 11:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >