Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

2 weeks off 3yrs old - how best to approach it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BournevilleBazza

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
2 weeks off 3yrs old - how best to approach it?

Well the old girl is coming up to her 3rd birthday.

I'm considering buying an extended warranty but the Tesco one won;t be much good due to my mileage, anyway the warranty issue has been well covered on here and is by the by.

I've booked her in for MOT next week to make sure she passes before LR warranty is out but I was wondering about getting her PROPERLY checked over to make sure anything that requires warranty claim or will do in near future is sorted now rather that when its too late.

Would a dealer give me an honest nuts and bolts report or would I need someone like TFC to give her the once over?

Any suggestions welcome as I DO NOT want to fall out of love over money issues with her!!
 If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!
2010 Discovery TDV6 HSE with a few bits and bobs on.
1986 V8 90 County
2012 Evoque TD4 (for the Mrs) and really VERY pleased!
Formerly BuckinghamBazza 

Post #4928268th Jul 2009 4:44 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: 2 weeks off 3yrs old - how best to approach it?

BuckinghamBazza wrote:

I've booked her in for MOT next week to make sure she passes before LR warranty is out but I was wondering about getting her PROPERLY checked over to make sure anything that requires warranty claim or will do in near future is sorted now rather that when its too late.

Would a dealer give me an honest nuts and bolts report or would I need someone like TFC to give her the once over?

Any suggestions welcome as I DO NOT want to fall out of love over money issues with her!!

If its anything like what happened to me, then your dealer will allow the vehicle to pass the MOT with advisories (probably around track rod ends and lower ball joints etc) on being challenged they will tell you it is normal wear and tear and not covered by warranty. I have a feeling if it was a week out of warranty they would have failed it, thereby forcing me to spend money. I got a second opinion (local VOSA station - have friend who has a friend etc) and was told they were being incredibly picky on the MOT. But it does leave you wondering when you will have to spend money. IMHO and from experience do not get your dealer to do the MOT as it presents to much opportunity for them to abuse the system and generate income Evil or Very Mad
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Last edited by SJR on 8th Jul 2009 4:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4928338th Jul 2009 4:50 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

just had a "Health check" done for our new member "Neil" with his 57 plater ex-HA, cost 1hours labour by Yeovil, did transmission flush/pan filter, re-config and ARB bushes under warranty, had a good crawl over him, nothing else obvious.

When I booked him in, gave the service manager the compilation of this forum's warranty claims, he explained they cant go looking for warranty work otherwise LR will come down on them like a ton of bricks, basically had to let it fail before it became a warranty job!

My advice is speak to 10forcash who is very genuine, will come to you and point you in the right direction! Thumbs Up

Post #4928348th Jul 2009 4:50 pm
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I would pay TFC to produce a report on what needs doing, Thumbs Up then Armed and Dangerous go to the Dealer and see what he finds. That we they will find it very difficult to worm their way out of anything. Thumbs Up
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #4928358th Jul 2009 4:52 pm
BournevilleBazza

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Thanks fellas,

I've booked the MOT with a local garage, you would like to THINK the LR dealer would test it honestly but you just never know!

Might give TFC a shout, see if he's over this neck of the woods and get a report done.
 If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!
2010 Discovery TDV6 HSE with a few bits and bobs on.
1986 V8 90 County
2012 Evoque TD4 (for the Mrs) and really VERY pleased!
Formerly BuckinghamBazza 

Post #4928368th Jul 2009 4:55 pm
JamesG01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I can't recommend TFC enough...He uncovered a lot of stuff on my recent purchase. Very thorough.

(TBH I was expecting to pay a bit to get it completely up to scratch anyway, given what the indy dealer called a "service".)
Thumbs Up

Post #4929438th Jul 2009 7:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >