Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Recovery points
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BlackPerth2

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Recovery points

Did anyone else read the article in the latest 4 x 4 Australia magazine (or was it Overlander - hmm cant recall which...) anyway, the one where the journalist/contributor owns a G4 D3; they mention that Landrover rate the front recovery point to 6.5 toness or 2 x GVM. This is the first time I've seen that in writing (finally) having been assured by all and sundry that it was the case.
 2006 SE TDV6 with G4 Options ("A" Bar, Driving lights, expedition rack, ladder; fr & r light guards, side steps, G4 logos) door moulds; plus Long Ranger 115L sub-tank; OL rear wheel carrier; OL rear drawer system; Kenwood / Garmin Satellite Nav/bluetooth/iPod/rear camera/DVD); LR roof mounted DVD; GME 3440 UHF; Tyre Dog tyre monitoring system; Optima Yellow second battery and Traxide dual battery management system; Mitchell Bro's tow hitch;  
Post #47182025th May 2009 8:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Have a look at this > &feature=channel

Post #47182525th May 2009 8:56 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Different scenario they connected the chassis rails in line not from the recovery point.
Problem is in Oz some over zeolous recovery course instructors insist on rated recovery points. With nothing from LR specifying the rating of the recovery points it makes it difficult to argue.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47183225th May 2009 9:24 am
Jamo

Australia 

I've always found that laughable!

These so called instructors will accept ARB recovery hooks, but these are not 'rated' either. ARB actually calls them towing hooks. Have a look at one when you can and see if you can find a rating stamped anywhere.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #47183425th May 2009 9:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Quite agree Jamo, I think it stated with the Pootrol's rear recovery point that was a bent bar heldby a couple of nuts. Laughing Gordon in WA just gave up arguing and put twin recovery points on.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47184925th May 2009 10:32 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I was out in the mud on the weekend accompanied by an accredited LR instructor and asked this very question.
The answer was that it is a recovery point and was told about the above video. I had seen the video and new it was in relation to the strength of the chasis, but could not remember if the vehicles were hanging off the recovery point. The instutor advised that they do use the recovery point for off road recovery situations.

I have used it on smaller vehicles but not on another D3, but then I guess that would never happen Laughing
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #47191425th May 2009 2:03 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

If you can use the term 'proof in the pudding' would that be enough for the non belivers Question Failing that get it rated by a credited company Thumbs Up I use this company for all our site kit. Must admit I have never bothered with the D3 recovery points.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #47191625th May 2009 2:16 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

I went through all this when trying to register the D3 for the 2006 and 2007 gymkhana competitions. People were passed immediately for fitting ARB or OL recovery points which are 'rated', as long as they used the CCDA guide for bolt size and number (I can give you the gory details if you like). But the point on the car that was actually used to mount the recovery hook was generally ignored, or at least only given a cursory examination.

The LR recovery points were obviously far superior in their fitment to the car, but because I couldn't provide specs on the rating of the point itself, I was at first refused registration. Common sense prevailed with regard to the rear recovery point, which was obviously part of the rear chassis bar assembly (and was "unofficially" rated to 6tonne by one of the engineers), but the front one raised eyebrows everywhere. I eventually argued the case for the 2006 season, but in 2007 they simply told me I must have "2 recovery points rated to 3tonne each". When I asked why I needed two, the response was that it was to ensure that the load was evenly distributed across the front of the vehicle. I pointed out that, unlike most single fitments, the D3 points were already in the centre of the car, and evenly spread the load across both chassis rails, but that got too hard for them. So for the 2007 season, I simply fitted one extra point front and rear, to the side of the LR one, pointing out that nowhere in their regs did it say that the points had to be evenly spaced around the centre-line of the car.

In 2008, they decided I was being a smart- Censored and told me I couldn't use the LR front point. Hence my two additional front points, which are nowhere near as strong as the LR one, but are 'rated'.

Sigh ...........

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #47215626th May 2009 2:08 am
BlackPerth2

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ahh, we sigh with you Gordon Laughing what a joke; they are all just jealous ofcourse!!! I'm heading out to AHG this Saturday (1pm) to drive the 2009 model on the off road course there - did you get an invite to that? Otherwise I'll see you on the 14th!
cheers

Chris
 2006 SE TDV6 with G4 Options ("A" Bar, Driving lights, expedition rack, ladder; fr & r light guards, side steps, G4 logos) door moulds; plus Long Ranger 115L sub-tank; OL rear wheel carrier; OL rear drawer system; Kenwood / Garmin Satellite Nav/bluetooth/iPod/rear camera/DVD); LR roof mounted DVD; GME 3440 UHF; Tyre Dog tyre monitoring system; Optima Yellow second battery and Traxide dual battery management system; Mitchell Bro's tow hitch;  
Post #47215726th May 2009 2:57 am
caverD3

Much understanding gordon,
More OH$S bullshl!t. Rolling Eyes Commonsense goes out the window, more about covering asses than anything else.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #47217626th May 2009 8:10 am
rmp

Australia 

It was Overlander, not 4X4 Australia.

Yes, you hear about "rated" recovery points. It is meaningless. Nobody "rates" a recovery point. Decent hoisting shackles are rated, as is all hoist equipment.
 --
Robert
Life is better in low range 

Post #47221326th May 2009 9:47 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had the same problem with "rated points" when I first got my Disco in 06. I solved it with these. Drilled right throught both the ARB bottom bar mount and the front lower chassis rail that the factory hook is through.

It sacrificed about an 1" of clearance on approach angle, not as much as it looks, and ended all arguments. Rated 9000kg each with the bolts chosen and metal thickness involved.

TDV6  
Post #47262327th May 2009 10:32 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

9000kg?? Probably still not enough with the Ultimate and the red wine Rolling with laughter
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #47266127th May 2009 11:59 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gordon - any pics of what you did with the extra recovery points?

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #47267227th May 2009 12:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >