Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Hanbrake Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 18 <123 ... 91011 ... 161718>
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Could be the case for sure.

I am no expert but from my experience I think the squealing starts when the system goes out of adjustment for whatever reason. The problem is that it seems the module has a weakness and wont last long once it goes into screaming mode, you may be lucky and cleaning / adjusting the system may fix it but be prepared as both times this happened to me the entire system needed replacing as the screaming had knackered the module. (The second time as I was paying I got them to replace rear disks, pads and shoes as it was in bits anyway)

Good luck...

Post #100581119th Nov 2012 4:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

told a few weeks ago that basically the arm extends itself too much as wear takes place.
Best advice i recieved is not to use and if i do release the handbrake with the button rather than automatically.

Post #100581419th Nov 2012 4:54 pm
SLD3CT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks.......

I think first i will try replacing the shoes, cleaning it all up and seeing if that fixes it before i replace the module seeing as a new module is over £400.

After i change the shoes will anything need resetting/ re aligning or will it just self adjust to the new shoes.

Post #100582719th Nov 2012 5:05 pm
SLD3CT

Thanks.......

I think first i will try replacing the shoes, cleaning it all up and seeing if that fixes it before i replace the module seeing as a new module is over £400.

After i change the shoes will anything need resetting/ re aligning or will it just self adjust to the new shoes.

Post #100582819th Nov 2012 5:05 pm
karlosbu

Look for posts from 'Bodsy' in this thread or others and there's a link to his 'Brake Bible' in his signature. That has all you need...

Post #100583919th Nov 2012 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

They don't need to be worn to be out of ajustment. If you get mud in them it can do the same. Rhere is an adjustment procedure for them to fix.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #100601119th Nov 2012 10:00 pm
SLD3CT

Thanks,

Have you got a link to the adjustment procedure?

Thanks

Post #100602019th Nov 2012 10:12 pm
karlosbu

Here I think

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

Post #100604419th Nov 2012 10:32 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry No. But do a search it is on here somewhere.
It will be in Bodsys brake bible.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #100604519th Nov 2012 10:33 pm
DiscoDunk

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
EPB

Hi New to the forum, Got myself a 54plate D3 a couple weeks ago Very Happy Looks like I have EPB issue amber light coming on Censored Big Cry have been reading through forum and I see I am far from being alone. I have 2 questions to put to forum. Wealth of experience here.
1. Is there any way of preventing park brake coming on automatically on a manual disco? Have tried holding button depressed while removing key. Doesn’t seem to prevent my park brake coming on.
2. What’s the chance of adjustment curing my fault? Up till now fault clears by cycling ignition.

Post #103365812th Jan 2013 9:35 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome Dunk Very Happy have a read through Bodsys' Brake Bible in this link

You can start by claening and properly adjusting the park brake shoes.

I've got a manual too and had the auto release set ON in the CCF by Flack with his Faultmate Bow down

Even with this mod, I can still prevent the EPB engaging by keeping the button pressed down and removing the key Surprised Do you just switch off or do you remove the key before releasing the EPB lever? Confused

Post #103373412th Jan 2013 11:48 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have done a few squealing epb's that the main dealers have said need to be replaced, but all I did was to replace the shoes and correctly adjust the shoes and reset the the epb and all of them have worked ok since, as long as you adjust them correctly and grease where its needed you should be ok, I had one that was doing the squealing for three months with the owner still using it up to the day I fixed it, and after new shoes and adjustment it worked just fine ...

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #103373713th Jan 2013 12:00 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

and thats why... Bow down Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up hope you're recuperating/recovered Smile

Post #103373813th Jan 2013 12:02 am
DiscoDunk

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Biffysun wrote:
Welcome Dunk Very Happy have a read through Bodsys' Brake Bible in this link

You can start by claening and properly adjusting the park brake shoes.

I've got a manual too and had the auto release set ON in the CCF by Flack with his Faultmate Bow down

Even with this mod, I can still prevent the EPB engaging by keeping the button pressed down and removing the key Surprised Do you just switch off or do you remove the key before releasing the EPB lever? Confused

Biffysun / Flack thanks for the replys. I know a landrover mech who has a fondness for beer. I will see if he can be tempted to make necessary adjustments in exchange for a case of the amber liquid Idea
I switch off ignition then remove key all the time holding button depressed. As soon as key removed brake comes on automatically, I park on flat ground at my house. With previous vehicles have never applied hand brake alway just leave in gear, especially at this time of year as brakes tend to stick on with the cold.
When amber fault light comes on I stop vehicle turn off ignition for a short time then turn back on and fault clears. I suspect if I leave this as is fault will develop into a screamer as so many others describe.

Post #103374713th Jan 2013 12:35 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Try switching the car off, holding the button down, then taking the key out Thumbs Up

Alternatively, in the CCF, you can alter the settings. You can have the auto release activated, or you can have the key-out apply de-activated Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #103378213th Jan 2013 8:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 18 <123 ... 91011 ... 161718>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >