DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

center diflock over ride
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ray dadd

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3
center diflock over ride

hi all
i would like to know if it is poss to be able to manualy switch on the center diflock and keep it on as and when i want it on .not to keep going on and off as the road conditions need it .
can a extra switch be fitted or any other ideas?

reason is that i had a computer system failier some time ago and the center diff Disengage at a very ify/scary moment .if i had at least still had center lock i may not have come so close to sliding almost off the side of a steep hil

also does any one know about having the rear diff locker supplied as a after market fittting not dealer fit also whats involed ?

ray
 CRAG-uk.org
countryside recreational access group
D3 7seater lugano teal
D3 s comercial 06 Rimni red
toyota land crusier vx 4.2 94M
defender 90 hard top (best of all ) 99 

Post #4697511th Mar 2006 7:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

Sorry, that's just not possible. Nothing is "manual." The whole point of Terrain Response is that it does the work for you. If you could somehow rig an electronic bypass, I'm sure it would cause plenty of problems with the rest of the system.

Retrofitting the rear locker bits would be painful and cost prohibitive, even if you could find a service department willing to do the swap. You can ask, though. (Just make sure you "really" need it; I can barely tell the difference in most scenarios.)

Last edited by grommet on 12th Mar 2006 3:12 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4700711th Mar 2006 11:12 pm
Ray dadd

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well the reason I wanted to do this is that I have lost all confidence in the motor capabilities to even do some of these trips at the mo. i own a TD5 90 fully equipped with lockers all manual and it don’t let me down. Except when I break it for pushing it tooo far !

But last month I was almost killed when my terrain response failed half way up a steep ish snow covered green lane .with a steep drop off to the side and now barrier to catch me .my car malfunctioned and I lost all terrain response traction control and centre difflock air suspension. When you stop due to no control over drive as all the drive went to one wheel. Then start to slide down the hill backwards you really see the light with what manual selection has to offer. lucky I got hooked up on a rock just before It went over the edge at which time my door was opening as I was going to jump out and let 30k+ of car go to hell .

Yes the lane was a bit iffy / extreme to drive in that weather but you don’t expect it to let you down that bad.(i do know my capabilities and the TD5 would have done it easly)) The D3 was doing great when it was working and I was following some other motors as well. They did have rear lockers in some of them and the others were norm equipped with centre locker only .they did all strudel but did get to the designation in the end .as we had to do some emergency repairs on a lane which had been washed out in a small section .

So if any one has any ideas as to giving me some confidence to use the motor in more extreme situations please speak up please.

I can see your point about the locker may play up the computer but it was just an idea as least I know it would be engaged when I want it engaged.

Some times technology takes all the driver skill away and when you really need your skills you have had it because you can’t switch anything on or select a gear. Manual over ride is on most things that’s why it is there (just in case?)

But as regards the car for day to day work on and off the road it great but the standard tyres are crap need MT’s or better AT’s for off road use .

Ray dadd
 CRAG-uk.org
countryside recreational access group
D3 7seater lugano teal
D3 s comercial 06 Rimni red
toyota land crusier vx 4.2 94M
defender 90 hard top (best of all ) 99 

Post #4701111th Mar 2006 11:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >