Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Economy & Extended Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
EdF

Scotland 2006 LR3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Maya GoldLR3
Economy & Extended Warranty

Bought my D3 yesterday, Nov. 06 manual, 30k miles. Amazed on the way home, 100 miles on 'A' roads at 60mph, not much traffic, she did 40.7mpg. Very impressed. My 90 TD5 does 27mpg.
I plan taking out a LR extended warranty in November when it's 3 years old. I bought my 90 with an extended LR warranty and the local stealership replaced the brake servo no problem, but wouldn't replace an anti roll bar bracket which had come adrift. It cost me about £3 for a new bracket and took 5 minutes to put on.. Just wondering what they can slide out of with the D3. How comprehensive IS it? If it doesn't cover 'wear and tear', presumably almost anything could be described as 'wear', such as a failed clutch, airbag, compressor, etc., etc.? Certainly a lot of money for a year and although I've read on the forum about alternative extended warranties, (esp. Tesco), I believe cover is for a shorter vehicle age and 60k miles, whereas LR goes to 100k and 8 years. I don't want to chance not extending the warranty, as although I can fix almost anything on the 90, I'm a bit lost with the D3 and there are a few tales on the forum of expensive repairs....
 Make the most of this life, you may not have a Landy or skis in the next one.
2xS3, 1xD1, 3xD2, 2xD3, 2x110, 2x90TDi, 4x90V8, 4x90TD5.
Now: Jetta 2.0 TDi DSG, D3 auto gold.
That's the wife's toyboy. 

Post #46013528th Apr 2009 7:41 pm
CJS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I extended my warranty at the end of March and last week my car was in for a new turbo! You will not be surprised to hear that I am a huge fan of extended warranties. I also paid for LR Assist. If I had booked my car in to my dealer I would have had a 10 day wait until they could look at it. Through LRA it was taken round on a flatbed truck and they had to start work on it straight away. I also got a courtesy car delivered to my home within the hour. I recommend both extending the warranty and LRA.

Post #46037529th Apr 2009 10:17 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Don't believe the trip, I doubt you are really getting more than 33mpg, see what it does when you fill tank to next tank with a manual calculation.

Post #46039729th Apr 2009 11:36 am
Ajolious

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Extended Warranty and LRA

My MY07 SE is out of warranty in Oct this year and I have no desire to trade it in or swap it; I own the car outright and want to keep it. My question is - how much is an extended warranty going for, are there any deals to be done or is it a fixed price and simply a case of walking into the dealer's? Are there any caveats such as mileage limitiations etc?

Given the complexity of a D3 no repair will be cheap but am keen to work Warranty Cost vs MTBF to make it a viable option. Any thoughts as to whether the Extended Warranty and LRA are a good idea in my case?

Cheers
 AJ
Work to live don't live to work
07MY TDV6 SE Auto plus a few toys
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert
17' of red Coleman plastic.. paddles not essential 

Post #4615021st May 2009 8:31 pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Would not an 07 model be under warranty till Oct 2010 or am I missing something?

Post #4615111st May 2009 9:04 pm
Moog

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Extended warranty

Ive just bought a D3 05 on 47K and very aware of the possiblity of a major bearing in mind some of the issues this myear seemed to suffer re comments on various forums. The dealer (inde) is trying to convince me a Motorcare product is best at a cost of £375 and termed "life time", but the limit is £1K up to 90K miles or £2k to 60K miles. At Gilt level this product does not cover the turbos and some other key parts. Thats not going far on a major, so ive started seriously looking at other options. Off Autotrader website Warranty Wise seem good, and list good references, with Quetin Wilson giving his comments / endorsing the policy. Then there is WarrantyDirect who also advertise along side them. Both are around £1000 pounds for 2 years cover. Watch out for the claim limits and labour rates / actual parts covered ; they all seem to have their own little caviats. On piston heads one poster commented on MB&G in the North East. A policy called Ulitmate Dealer Aftercare. He reckoned its about £375 PA and covers just abouts everything. (link http://www.mbginsurance.co.uk/). Have mailed them to get some details and will post again when have some info. Either way ive got to take something and want confidence (if) for the event. Does anyone else have experince of running a 05 D3 and claiming on an external warranty ? Confused
 TDV6 S / Manual / Silver.  
Post #4617772nd May 2009 11:25 pm
Ajolious

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
MY07 SE

ELD70, sorry for the confusion, it is a 56 plate MY07... bought Oct 2006!

Am heading to Roger Young's in Saltash near Plymouth in the next couple of weeks with a list of warranty work to get done and will enquire as to what their recommendations are for extended warranty.

Cheers again to you all.
 AJ
Work to live don't live to work
07MY TDV6 SE Auto plus a few toys
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert
17' of red Coleman plastic.. paddles not essential 

Post #4618923rd May 2009 11:54 am
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Not wanting to start the debate up again (my previous posts!) but I am a fan of the LR extended warranty.

If you take out before 100k miles then it last 25k a year. Took mine out at 86k for two years and it expires after two years or 136k whichever is sooner. Cost to me was £560 incl. LR assist and MOT cover.

Most things so far seem to be covered including anti-roll bar brushes and software updates.

Only thing not covered was the air-con recirc burping issue, but makes the kids laugh!
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE 

Last edited by DigitalJunior on 3rd May 2009 2:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4619173rd May 2009 1:40 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Software updating is not included under LR extended warranty on Dad's D3 (needed new transfer box software, and was charged for).

So far virtually nothing appears to be covered under it. Sat nav DVD player isn't either.

Post #4619223rd May 2009 2:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Martin wrote:
Software updating is not included under LR extended warranty on Dad's D3 (needed new transfer box software, and was charged for).

So far virtually nothing appears to be covered under it. Sat nav DVD player isn't either.

Not wanting to disagree with the boss Thumbs Up but thats exactly what mine had 2 weeks ago (transfer box software update) Thumbs Up
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #4619233rd May 2009 2:13 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hmmm, interesting!

You're not disagreeing with me - but could make for an interesting call to the dealer next week Wink PM'd you.

Post #4619243rd May 2009 2:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have had my Radio/CD player replaced under LR ext warranty, but I think they did it on the off chance that I might use it , and therefore not focus and report on all the other nasty noises the vehicle produces. Whistle Laughing

Post #4619253rd May 2009 2:20 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Martin - there seems to be a big gap between what some dealers will and won't do, our D3 came from Lancaster Reading and they will often do what I consider the "fair" resolution. They looked at the bluetooth phonebook issues on my wife's phone for example even though our VIN is pre-update phonebook software, after I demonstrated that my phone would sync the phonebook without any problems so at some point it must have had the update loaded. When it comes to servicing though they were super-expensive compared to the norm.

Incidentally we had transfer box noise, and they did the xfer box software the first time it was in for the issue (still in existing warrenty) although it did not fit the whining noise and transfer box had to be replaced. It would seem strange to me that they will do xfer box software under standard warrenty but not extended...

Post #4623994th May 2009 11:48 am
EdF

Scotland 2006 LR3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Maya GoldLR3

As the original thread starter, apologies for not replying sooner, but I didn't get any notification of replies, even though I'd checked the box.
I was in my squealer's emporium a couple of days back, getting parts for my 90 and enquiring of the service manager about an extended warranty for my late '06 D3, as some suspicious noises have started, which I've put on another post which I can't find! Namely, an intermittent whine from the front end, mainly on acceleration when cold and now the rear exhaust pipes are banging about, with no apparent cause.. Anyway, the extended warranty is £815 for one year come November. I was asked what mileage mine has, so maybe this amount varies with age/miles?
As I'm retired, I will struggle to find this amount on top of everything else, (road tax for one) and as the service manager thinks the front diff. is on the way out I am not very confident in the vehicle long term as it's only done 32k miles. I was told, 'the diff problem is not unknown, we replaced one for another customer last week.' It seems there's a problem with the meshing of the crown wheel and pinion.
I asked about the 'wear & tear' warranty get-out clause and asked, as an example, what would happen if the clutch failed under extended warranty. He replied that if the clutch plate was worn out then it would be chargeable to me, if there was a failure of parts, then it would be covered.. Hmmm, so I stand next to the mechanic (sorry, technician..) as he's removing it to make sure which it is..?
On the whole, after owning this D3 for 6 weeks and covering 2k miles, after many other models - the nearest in type being three D2's, I think I will part with it. The running costs - extended warranty, road tax & fuel consumption are prohibitive (for me) to use it as an only vehicle, the original intention, and the potential for expensive repairs which would not be covered under warranty fill me with dread as the vehicle is so complex. I need a tug for our horse trailer and caravan, but my 90 TD5 is sufficient and after many 90's, I've yet to come across a problem I've been unable to fix myself, and I've had very few problems. I will miss the ride of the D3 compared to the 90, but not the clunky, crunchy gearshift. We do need a runabout, but I'll go for a diesel VW with a DSG gearbox. I have a buyer for the D3 in the wings.. C'est la vie..
 Make the most of this life, you may not have a Landy or skis in the next one.
2xS3, 1xD1, 3xD2, 2xD3, 2x110, 2x90TDi, 4x90V8, 4x90TD5.
Now: Jetta 2.0 TDi DSG, D3 auto gold.
That's the wife's toyboy. 

Post #4761364th Jun 2009 12:36 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

just got my car back from dealer after a new air con pump pully and spoke to dealer about warranty. They gave me this :

Click image to enlarge

may be useful
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #4761414th Jun 2009 12:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: