Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Discovery 3 HSE Builds?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MJH

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 HSE Builds?

I am planning on buying a second-hand HSE (£32k-£34k) and I've been looking at a couple at local LR dealerships.

I then came across http://www.haveyoursay.com/ which made me seriously reconsider whether I was doing the right thing (£32k is a huge amount for me to spend and I don't want to make a massive mistake).

Thankfully a bit more research uncovered this site and my confidence levels are returning Smile (I've had Land Rovers before - IIA and a 110 - and really enjoyed them but this is a different league in terms of financial commitment).

On the haveyoursay site I noticed that due to the problems they exchanged his "Build 1" for a "Build 2". From the log dates I'm guessing that the Build 2 came out in early 2005.

As one of the HSEs I've been looking is Jan 05 I'm assuming it would be a build 1.

Now the questions -

Can anyone shed any light on the different builds? What are the differences and are they significant enough that I would be better waiting until I can afford a Build 2 HSE (once I know how to identify it... Confused ).

Any advice on this gratefully received.

Post #464999th Mar 2006 1:20 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have a build one car (Nov 04) and it has been extremely good. I had a suspension issue early on, that took the dealer 3 attempts to fix, now it is fixed. There have been some minor glitches, all sorted quickly.

Now has 40k miles and still feels new. Still on original suspension compressor and turbo.

Love it 8)

Post #465009th Mar 2006 1:32 am
grommet

United States 

Uh, I wouldn't really call them "Build 1", "Build 2", etc. -- Anyway, I have a very early LR3/Disco 3 V8 HSE and have had no issues at all. 15 months so far.

There are "continuous improvements" made to the vehicle as production continues. So, in theory, a later build might be better -- but in reality, it doesn't guarantee anything.

Post #465109th Mar 2006 3:52 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I wouldn't have a problem buying an early vehicle myself, if there were any issues, then there's been plenty of time to get them sorted. You will also have the remaining part of the three year warranty

Post #465299th Mar 2006 10:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

10forcash wrote:
You will also have the remaining part of the three year warranty
But not the FULL three years - which to me, with the complexity of these beasties is important Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #465379th Mar 2006 11:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

qzdcg8 wrote:
10forcash wrote:
You will also have the remaining part of the three year warranty
But not the FULL three years - which to me, with the complexity of these beasties is important

I agree. Mine's been fixed... and fixed... and fixed... and fixed... changed car... and fixed... and fixed... and fixed.... and still aint right.

That warranty is jolly handy.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #465409th Mar 2006 12:10 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Don't think it's been touched on before, it'll be interesting to see what the LR / dealers position is with regard to software updates outside of vehicle warranty. Will they charge for an 'upgrade'? or will it be freely available? Confused
Not all updates are to cure problems, some are refinements to the way things work. Now is this going to be similar to M/soft where they are free for the life of the product or is it classed as paid for support?

Post #465469th Mar 2006 12:28 pm
SN

10forcash wrote:
Now is this going to be similar to M/soft where they are free for the life of the product or is it classed as paid for support?
Your Microshaft updates are only free for life when you download them off t'internet - if you could plug your PC into your D3 and do updates in the same way, then it'll be free. Otherwise, I guess there's always labour to be paid for - IMHO Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #465489th Mar 2006 12:31 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

Mossy wrote:

I agree. Mine's been fixed... and fixed... and fixed... and fixed... changed car... and fixed... and fixed... and fixed.... and still aint right.

You want to wipe all that white powdered substance off its bonnet that we can see in your Avatar. No wonder it behaves irrationally...
Laughing

Post #465509th Mar 2006 12:34 pm
Mossy

Guy wrote:
Mossy wrote:

You want to wipe all that white powdered substance off its bonnet that we can see in your Avatar. No wonder it behaves irrationally...
Laughing

Not my white powder... was left behind last time it came back from the Dealer... hmmmm might explain alot Wink
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #465549th Mar 2006 1:01 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

I think it explains everything. You need a *CAR* dealer...

Razz

Post #465559th Mar 2006 1:08 pm
Mossy

Guy wrote:
I think it explains everything. You need a *CAR* dealer...

Razz

Rolling with laughter
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #465569th Mar 2006 1:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
Don't think it's been touched on before, it'll be interesting to see what the LR / dealers position is with regard to software updates outside of vehicle warranty. Will they charge for an 'upgrade'? or will it be freely available? Confused
Not all updates are to cure problems, some are refinements to the way things work. Now is this going to be similar to M/soft where they are free for the life of the product or is it classed as paid for support?

I think this is a very interesting point, as the D3 is full of flash roms. Previous LR's need new ecu's to implement updates. I think LR may have an untapped market to charge annual support fees for upgrades to the car. I don't think it would be fair to expect free upgrades for life, as indeed many will be improvements and not all of them are fixes.

Against this is the market drive to persuade as many of us as possible to change the car after 3 years and buy a new one. The only way to ensure this is by perfecting the 'customer service' skill.

Post #465709th Mar 2006 2:52 pm
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Guys

The Disco 3 is not really all that advanced.
The BMW 530D we had went from V1 software to V23 in 18 months and some of these also had v1.1 v1.2 etc. Over 35 updates in 18 months. The I Drive runs on Microsoft ME and controls heating, gearbox, engine response, seats, sunroof , windows, Nav, phone and almost everything else in the car. Some updates could take upto 24 hours to download.
Every problem we had with the car was software related except 1. (17 problems)
Keeping it beyond the warranty period filled me with terror!
The D3 compared to that is well behind the times and that is a good thing I can tell you.
It's horses for courses really. I posted a response on the haveyoursay website about how rubbish German cars have been for me and surprise surprise it got deleted. The D3 we have has not broken down yet so maybe I'll be laughing on the other side of my face when it does.

Post #466119th Mar 2006 5:49 pm
draughtsman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
HSE Build 1 & 2 differences

MJH,

The main standard additions that 'build 2' has I believe are as follows:-

1) Rear air con.

2) Adaptive front headlights

3) Factory bluetooth phone integration.

4) Cooler in centre cubby box

Built 2 is often refered to as 06 year model & was being sold during the latter part of 05

hope this helps

Geoff

Post #466209th Mar 2006 6:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >